AMN Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated September 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Once you find your place in the company it is a great place to be (in 20 reviews)

• Find team members that will support you and you will grow in your career (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimal room for advancement and low pay (in 20 reviews)

• Not paid enough for the cost of living in san diego (in 13 reviews)

1. "Associate Vendor Coordinator"

Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator in Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has many opportunities for growth.

Cons

Heavy workload, people are not often placed in roles that match their skill sets.

Sep 6, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the organization. If you would like to discuss these in more detail, please reach out to me directly at Julie.Fletcher@AMNHealthcare.com.
    Julie Fletcher... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

There is an overall unity that the sales team share. We respect what each of us does and understand what we go through.

Cons

Leadership is bad. They do not listen as long as they and the company are hitting goal.

Advice to Management

Hire more talent from the outside whom have leadership experience. They may be able to break the stepford culture and gain respect from the people that bring in revenue. Put leadership on the phones and see what they actually know and understand. Many are useless.

Sep 5, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

I appreciate your feedback and believe that it is important for leadership to foster communication within their teams. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail, please contact me... More

"Allied health team (Dallas office)"

Former Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Coppell, TX

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members because we're all facing the same challenges with the company and bad management it's really hard to think of anymore

Cons

Not a great work environment at all. Managers give very little feedback but somehow you're always doing such an awesome job until someone calls to complain about something you missed. Definitely overworked and underpaid. All they care about is numbers you're producing. They do not give recognition to those who deserve it when hard work has been done. But to them it's all about "tenure/stats" AKA favoritism. Manager expects us to work these giant workloads and he doesn't even know how our day works or how to navigate the software we use. They allow recruitment team to just walk all over us there is no actual line of respect here.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your team members, recognize those who are really doing a great job.

Sep 5, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your concerns with the organization. We strive to recognize all of our team members when they do great work. If you would like to share more about your experience, please reach... More

4. "Credentialing"

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

Several people within the department were helpful.

Cons

Overtime wasn't always offered even though the workload was heavy, treated badly by account managers and recruiters, department leaders, micromanaged , low pay, unappreciated

Sep 14, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry that you felt unappreciated in your role and believe that team members should feel supported at AMN. If you would like to discuss your thoughts in more... More

"Sales"

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have the potential to make a lot of money. Co-workers are great.

Cons

Unqualified leadership who have little to no training. It's very much a "who you know mentality there - there is zero opportunity for advancement. Leadership loses sight of employee happiness and job satisfaction, all for the sake of numbers. There is no little to no communication about change. It's very metric driven and the metrics are often skewed. Leadership plays clear favoritism - it often reminded me of high school. Anyone who attempted to speak with HR was conveniently fired within an incredibly short time.

Advice to Management

Quality over quantity will get you much better results. Listen to your employees when they make suggestions. Make sure that conversations held in confidence are kept that way. Hire leaders who have actual leadership experience - leaders tend to lead by fear and intimidation and you will continue to lose exceptional employees faster than you can bring on and train new ones.

Aug 16, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At AMN, it is important that each team member feels they have opportunity within the company, and I would like to discuss your concerns in more detail. Please... More

6. "Recruiter "Incentive Pay" Cheats"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very corporate environment, if you like that sort of thing. Can learn a lot about metrics and KPIs and customer relationships.

Cons

There are no raises for recruiter, no one in a sales position is eligible for raises, the idea they have is that you will just need to "work harder" to get your commission up...but that isn't how it works if the account you have been placed on is not a high performing account.
    Pay is low not only for travel nurse recruiters, but also for RPO perm placement recruiters. all mid level managers call it "commission" but it is NOT commission, it is INCENTIVE PAY, and their lawyers chose to word it that way so there are stricter laws about them having to pay you that. Also, their handbook on incentive pay (which you will never see until you have an admin issue with it) says that an employee is no longer eligible to receive incentive pay if they are no longer employed....that means you may NOT receive your last month of commission / incentive pay no matter how hard you worked. Or you may receive it, it really depends on the politics and what they feel like doing I guess. I know many employees who left who did receive their final incentive pay the next month, and one who did not, but they will not own to their mistakes because they care about the bottom dollar.
    I did not work in travel nursing, but I knew many who did and as a recruiter you may have to deal with candidates who you have helped move across the country who have shipped all of their belongings and tell them that their assignment was cancelled.
    They play favorites, not based on merit.

Advice to Management

Make sure all terms being used are accurate with AMN overall policy and handbooks such as "incentive pay" versus "commission".
    Do not play favorites with employees when it is not based on merit.
    Be able to offer recruiters raises to their base pay, stop making everything about "incentive pay".

Sep 12, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

I appreciate your taking the time to share about your experience and believe that team members should feel like they have opportunity within the organization. I am sorry to hear that you did not... More

7. "Medical Social Worker"

Current Employee - Medical Social Worker in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Social Worker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have exclusive Kaiser contracts.

Cons

Recruiters are ocassionally misleading with their offers. If you choose to allow them to secure your housing, you are stuck with whatever they choose you even if you find more affordable housing elsewhere. They'll take all your housing stipend and put you in a cheap Extended Stay America or somewhere equivalent.

Aug 16, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the organization. It is important that travel clinicians have a comfortable place to live during their assignments. If you are open to having a discussion... More

8. "Recruiting"

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

Diverse company, friendly coworkers, various office locations

Cons

Low base salary, very metric based, substantial cold calling, rigid work schedule

Aug 10, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

I’m happy to hear about your positive experiences at AMN! If you would like to discuss your comments in more detail, please contact me directly at Julie.Fletcher@AMNHealthcare.com.
    Julie Fletcher... More

"Former Territory Sales Rep"

Pros

Company offers great training, decent benefits, and the opportunity for a good income. It's a fast pace environment with always something to do.

Cons

It takes a while to ramp up and see additional income from sales.

10. "Recruiter"

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

Amazing place and people to work for! Always has something fun happening, drawings for prizes but most importantly there is a lot of positive support and resources to do the job.

Cons

Takes a while to build up & make money--until then you are making about only $100 more a month than unemployment. In San Diego that is hard to do unless you have a partner or another income.

My drive my Mission Valley to Del Mar was an hour each way, but if you a fine with that it truly is a nice place to work.

Aug 10, 2017 – AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the company. If you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail, please reach out to me directly at... More