AMP Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Friendly supervisors
    Extremely approachable AMP employees
    Lots of work to do, never bored
    Free drinks and food!

Cons

They want you to commit about 25 hours a week unpaid and does not offer transportation expense

"This place is a dumpster fire"

I worked at AMP Agency full-time

Pros

Free lunch on Thursday - I love pizza, and even this place can't make it evil

Cons

The way they treat their people. Let me give it to you straight. I gave this place my all, and got laid off after several employees I worked with lost a piece of business for us, which I was 100% allocated to. Not only did I get laid off over the phone (company policy), but the corporate office waited three weeks to respond to the unemployment benefits that I filed with the state, which were promised to me. I was also promised a severance check, which I received after I started another job. In case you're playing along at home, that means they cut me loose on the spot and then left me hanging without income for almost a month. My favorite part? They never took me off of their corporate mailing list, and sent me a company t-shirt after a holiday party. Nice business practices, leadership. I hope you're proud!

Advice to Management

Find replacements for yourselves who are capable of treating people with respect.

3. "A motivated and energetic company."

Former Employee - Production Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Production Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Kind and interesting coworkers and people to work with. Successful company with interesting and wide range of clients.

Cons

Production Interns don't receive enough work and responsibilities
    Unpaid internship

Advice to Management

Give Interns more confidence and more responsibility

4. "What Goes Around Comes Around"

I worked at AMP Agency full-time

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Young culture and ample company events
    - Monthly company meetings to update on new business, etc.
    - Opportunity to learn/work across depts.
    - Exposure to industry partners and big clients

Cons

- Ego driven senior management (some, obviously not all)
    - Cut throat team environment
    - Poor work life balance
    - Lots of "kissing the client's..." at the expense of employees
    - Poor communication and major dishonesty from some senior level managers

Advice to Management

Consider involving the HR department in all facets of the recruitment and hiring process. Set clear expectations for team members and follow process' with development plans. Ensure managers display and practice strong business ethics.

5. "Fast-paced, young, up-and-comer."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You always hear about "the people making the workplace" and this is extremely true at AMP. Hard-working, enjoyable, friendly and smart-as-hell group of marketing professionals that make you look forward to working with each day.

Cons

One of the unfortunate things with AMP is that most people don't know about them, or have a preconceived notion for what AMP is all about.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the vision and future of the agency.

6. "Great for Gaining Experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AMP Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are friendly, inclusive and supportive. Clients are diverse and programs offer opportunities for collaboration internally and externally. Free Thursday lunches are great, and many employees choose to spend free time together outside of the office.

Cons

It can be easy to get overworked and certain roles pose more challenges for work-life balance. Senior management can seem distant at times & doesn't always communicate effectively. Clients aren't always the most fascinating and accounts are heavily "project-based" rather than fostering a lasting relationship. More work at the agency tends to lean towards improving the bottom line vs. effectively partnering with clients to achieve mutual success.

Advice to Management

Communicate vision to employees more frequently and promote a more positive work-life balance.

7. "Dynamic people; disappointing clients."

Current Employee - Copywriter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart, driven, capable; a friendly, fun group.

Cons

The clients -mostly project based- are lightweight and/or irrelevant. So a lot of good work gets dumbed down.

Advice to Management

Get in front of clients who want good creative.

"Creative, forward-thinking and fun"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back work environment. Friendly co-workers. Notable clients. Innovative campaigns. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

The company needs to scale faster to handle the increased work load. You're also right in the heart of Boston so the commute can be tough.

"A great place to work! Fun and challenging."

Current Employee - Brand Strategy in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Brand Strategy in Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance is drastically better than anywhere else I've worked. We get half day Fridays in the summer! We are encouraged to put our health and families first. I've never been expected to answer calls, e-mails, or do work after-hours or on weekends. We are encouraged to express ourselves, pursue our interests, and dress as we would like.

AMP consists of a wonderfully intelligent, motivated, and hardworking group of people. Since starting I've found that the atmosphere is fun, and everyone is supportive of one another. AMP is the kind of job that you want to come to in the morning.

Cons

The workload can be challenging, but isn't that a good thing?

Most of the employees are young, but are passionate and innovative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Can't say I'd ever recommend working here - you can meet the good people and networking"

I worked at AMP Agency full-time

Pros

Great mid-senior level to junior level staff and coworkers - friendly, helpful, creative, hard-working

Teams know how to have fun behind closed doors in brainstorms and planning sessions

Creativity of the junior staff

Caliber of clients is great - lots of well-known brands, though most are project work and not retainer work

Cons

Poor senior management team only interested in making profit and "owning" something at the agency - unqualified people have been promoted to oversee groups that they know nothing about, but because they're friends with the CEO, they are allowed to wonder around and do nothing instead of contributing to the teams they manage. The people who have come in and are experts in the fields they are managing are always pushed out the door within a few years.

Junior staff live in fear of being fired for disagreeing with the CEO or someone in senior management

Poor career paths and staff development plans - reviews are a joke and are not tied to facts and actual performance - they are often the place where grudges are brought up for the first time

Poor work/life balance like most agencies

Rewards for performance consist of buying beers for the office on a weekday afternoon

No teambuilding, no strategy (other than making money) and no long-term vision

The so-called marketing team is a joke - none of them are marketers, but believe they are experts - this is why no one in Boston has ever heard of AMP

Lots of promises made during interviews that are never kept once you come on board - they low-ball salaries with the promise of a raise if you perform, but the raise never comes. Whatever you do, get *everything* in writing and signed by someone who has authority if you ever expect it to happen.

If you do get promoted, you'll get a title bump but no salary or a $1K raise.

Advice to Management

You have no focus on quality or employee retention and morale - sales and making the numbers are more important than employees and customers in every single scenario. Several long-term and/or high-value employees have left in the past year and expect that trend to continue if something is not done to fix the inept leadership team lacking experience in the disciplines they are appointed to manage.