AMRI Reviews in Albany, NY | Glassdoor

Albany, NY Area

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William S. Marth

Pros
  • I have a great boss; I have learned a lot from the individual (in 7 reviews)

• Good people in the plant and labs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They own your soul, no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried (in 12 reviews)

1. "IT Intern Review"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was a fantastic team, I loved the atmosphere of the IT sector at AMRI.

Cons

I was the only IT intern at the time, so sometimes things got a little lonely.

Advice to Management

I think management did a great job with their interns and work people.

2. "Only if you're desperate or fresh out of school"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot. I've worked at places where really you just push a button and you get results, here you BETTER be a little more proactive. Things.will.go.wrong so you will get awesome knowledge in troubleshooting. There are a ton of knowledgeable people so the resources for knowledge are there. Some people are nice, some (they're a little tense in there). If you want to wear different hats you'll probably be able to, because people leave all the time but still the opportunity is there. If you're fresh out of school this is extremely important because other companies will not give you the chance to learn from different departments. Meaning you may get stuck in QC forever if you don't have other experience, so this is where AMRI shines. Think of AMRI as prep school (I'm sure many in there see it that way) you'll learn a lot and most likely move on.

Cons

They let a ton of people go and have higher ups come down and say they don't know how that happened, followed by a lot of finger pointing, then hiring a ton of new people to fill the positions (with limited people even being able to train new hires). People are scared they might lose their job and don't recover well with the amount of layoffs they've  seen, morale is low. AMRI complains that Regeneron poaches their people and wonder why. The turnover rate, dear god I've lost count how many people left in my department, it almost stops being shocking when we hear someone is leaving. You're not gonna get paid, not literally but if you're looking for a decent salary you're going the wrong way other companies pay higher for less work and better benefits. You should only be coming here if you're a. Masochist b. Don't know your worth c. You need experience d. You have nowhere else to go.

Advice to Management

Use resources to really actually boost morale, picnics and donuts don't fix it. That way you can't complain that people leave all the time

Train your managers, please stop pulling random people up and just hope it works out. There are awesome ones in there, it's easy to see cause people flock to them, get all of them formal training. How they perform with their people and how they affect morale will determine how well analysts perform. I've literally heard a manager tell his new-hires that he will try to answer questions but he's really too busy so they should try and get questions answered elsewhere. Or a manager publicly humiliate them, instead of using his office to reprimand people. Leadership training asap.

3. "production Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

Pros

Very calm work atmosphere. There is Low stress in manufacturing. There are layoffs that occur. The company is trying to grow and tap into biopharma.

Cons

Lack of lateral mobility if you do not have a bachelors degree. Some sectors of the company are unionized and that in itself has pro's and cons.

Advice to Management

N/a

"Left a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with really great people throughout the organization.
    The cafeteria had good food at decent prices.
    Job opportunities are plentiful because quality employees are leaving.

Cons

There was a Senior management change a few years ago. The current CEO brought on his cronies and friends to take advantage of a cash cow situation. The majority of the senior management team has never had a management role other than in a large division of a much larger company.
    Really great people, especially managers, have been leaving.
    I was in a meeting where the CFO had to have GAAP rules explained to her.
    I was in several meetings where the CIO talked down to and denigrated his direct reports to the point where a person who reported to the CFO threatened to go and file a report with HR if he continued to speak to the woman in such an unprofessional manner.
    Company is heavily in debt as a result of acquisitions. Research the company financials and pay attention to executive compensation.
    Other places pay and treat you better.

Advice to Management

Value your employees keep a close eye on certain members of Senior management who do not treat their direct reports well and encourage their reports to act the same way.
    Stop the bullying.

"RS1"

Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI (More than a year)

Pros

Very good stepping stone job in a lot of ways, and the low level management is personable and approachable.

Cons

Work-life balance isn't very good, i.e. long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried.

"Marketing -"

Former Employee - Creative LEad in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Creative LEad in Albany, NY

Pros

good people - hard workers

Cons

1. poor leadership - they do not retain - they do not know how to maintain
    2. no marketing leader - their leader is a technical writer who knows nothing about marketing - the team is suffering because of it - it is ruining the company and team
    3. no rewards - no bonuses - no real salary increases

Advice to Management

hire a new management team - you do not care about your current employees

"Good First Job"

Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn on the job
    Nice coworkers

Cons

No benefits
    No bonus
    Lack of transparency between employees and management
    Lack of resources to complete projects
    No job security

Advice to Management

Transparency of business decisions
    Scientific company that needs to invest in science

"Lacking in support for employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers generally dedicated, well beyond how well they are valued.

Cons

Bids written with no sense of the actual work we do. Instrumentation is required to do the work which doesn't exist. Infrastructure is aging, no service contracts for HPLCs, antiquated labs and equipment. Hard work is not rewarded or recognized.

Advice to Management

Spend 1 week in lab and see how we make do with what little we have.

"gasping for air and going under quickly!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Stephentown, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Stephentown, NY

I worked at AMRI (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with some truly amazing people that even though I have moved on from AMRI, I am happy to still be friends with them.

Cons

The company does not care about their employees. Minimal to no raises, bonuses, stock options... not even a thank you or good job occasionally. Management is a joke. The guy in the corner office was scared of HR and upper management, he just depended on the yes people who were so busy sucking up that they never learned their job. Quality and Safety are flexible. I am still surprised to this day that they have not killed someone or blown up the place.

Advice to Management

I would recommend you are actually on the floor on a regular basis and find out the real problems in an aging plant and with a burned out staff. Appreciate your employees, they want to do a good job. Build up your employees and the whole company will change. If you're not interested in change and the work involved to let AMRI be a successful company then go scoop ice cream at Stewarts.

11. "Nice place to learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

it is a nice place to work because you will get a lot of training.

Cons

They salary is too small compared to the amount of work