AMRI Research Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Research Scientist

1.8
William S. Marth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You work with great people who care about you (in 9 reviews)

• Good people in the plant and labs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They own your soul, no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried (in 12 reviews)

"RS1"

Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI (More than a year)

Pros

Very good stepping stone job in a lot of ways, and the low level management is personable and approachable.

Cons

Work-life balance isn't very good, i.e. long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried.

"Only if you're desperate or fresh out of school"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot. I've worked at places where really you just push a button and you get results, here you BETTER be a little more proactive. Things.will.go.wrong so you will get awesome knowledge in troubleshooting. There are a ton of knowledgeable people so the resources for knowledge are there. Some people are nice, some (they're a little tense in there). If you want to wear different hats you'll probably be able to, because people leave all the time but still the opportunity is there. If you're fresh out of school this is extremely important because other companies will not give you the chance to learn from different departments. Meaning you may get stuck in QC forever if you don't have other experience, so this is where AMRI shines. Think of AMRI as prep school (I'm sure many in there see it that way) you'll learn a lot and most likely move on.

Cons

They let a ton of people go and have higher ups come down and say they don't know how that happened, followed by a lot of finger pointing, then hiring a ton of new people to fill the positions (with limited people even being able to train new hires). People are scared they might lose their job and don't recover well with the amount of layoffs they've  seen, morale is low. AMRI complains that Regeneron poaches their people and wonder why. The turnover rate, dear god I've lost count how many people left in my department, it almost stops being shocking when we hear someone is leaving. You're not gonna get paid, not literally but if you're looking for a decent salary you're going the wrong way other companies pay higher for less work and better benefits. You should only be coming here if you're a. Masochist b. Don't know your worth c. You need experience d. You have nowhere else to go.

Advice to Management

Use resources to really actually boost morale, picnics and donuts don't fix it. That way you can't complain that people leave all the time

Train your managers, please stop pulling random people up and just hope it works out. There are awesome ones in there, it's easy to see cause people flock to them, get all of them formal training. How they perform with their people and how they affect morale will determine how well analysts perform. I've literally heard a manager tell his new-hires that he will try to answer questions but he's really too busy so they should try and get questions answered elsewhere. Or a manager publicly humiliate them, instead of using his office to reprimand people. Leadership training asap.

"Good First Job"

Current Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn on the job
    Nice coworkers

Cons

No benefits
    No bonus
    Lack of transparency between employees and management
    Lack of resources to complete projects
    No job security

Advice to Management

Transparency of business decisions
    Scientific company that needs to invest in science

"Overall, a Good Job"

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(note: the position was a contract chemistry job on the Lilly campus) My coworkers were awesome. They really made coming to work everyday worth it. It's a good entry level opportunity (BS/MS 0+). Great location in downtown Indianapolis with a view of the city (4th floor). Free parking downtown in the Lilly lot, even during non-work hours or weekends (if you're going to a Colts or Pacers game, for example).

Cons

Chemists are judged too heavily on 'metrics' (number of rxns run, rxn success rate, etc). The pay isn't great. It seems about 5-20% below what you would expect. As a contract chemist, you may feel at times that the Lilly chemists don't fully appreciate your presence.

Advice to Management

Pay a more competitive salary.

"Research scientist"

I have been working at AMRI full-time

Pros

Exposed to many different types of chemical transformations.

Cons

-Pay and benefits are a joke. The job is close to modern day slavery, you are expected to work long(11+) hours for next to nothing pay.
    -If you do not have a PhD expect to be treated like you barely graduated middle school.
    -Do not be surprised to be thrown under the bus by middle management trying to save their own necks.
    -You're made to feel like you're terrible at your job, and that you're lucky to even have this one.
    -the only promotions you should expect to see are for Vice Presidents or senior director positions.
    -high turnovers (pay, toxic atmosphere, benefits, career opportunities, managers and middle management)

Advice to Management

Stop buying companies when you can't even manage what you have.

"Wage Slave"

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience gained in bench science, instrumentation, GMP, et cetera. High turnover therefore they will generally accept anyone to work for them.

Cons

There are multiple sites in Albany which can get confusing when applying. You could apply to the research flagship in Albany & then get stuck in Rensselaer where you will be a slave. Too much work which is not distributed among analysts fairly. High turnover because employees are constantly unhappy. It is a job that gives you a paycheck & offers health insurance but nothing else, no chance of publication, no team building, no company culture. People seem to come here to work so they can move on to work at Regeneron up the road. If AMRI is one company treatment of employees should be the same across the company rather than employees at certain sites having access to better benefits than employees at another site.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't take the advice of anyone. Seeing as there are tons of exit interviews they have to conduct and nothing seemed to change.

"Research Scientist"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good working environment with very friendly colleagues
    - A very good learning place where you can learn (in-house) almost everything in the laboratory
    - Benefit is ok

Cons

- No career advancement
    - Too much of worries among the employee as company has no clear direction (At least the employees are not aware of their direction)

Advice to Management

- People can give you 110% of what you asked, please consider to give them at least 99.9%

"Safety and quality take a back seat"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time

Pros

You will get a lot of experience quickly, very casual environment.

Cons

AMRI excels at one thing, pushing product out the door. They meet deadlines despite aged equipment, terrible organization and a sink-or-swim environment. If you address issues of safety, quality or ethics you will be ignored at best, or in my case, reprimanded. Pay is about 20% below market and HR is awful.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

"incompetent management"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good group of scientist. Good place to start a carrer as a scientitst/chemist.

Cons

Terrible, incompetent management. No carrer opportunities.

"Good stepping stone"

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience after school in order to be competitive in the industry

Cons

Put in your time and get out. Company is going downhill fast.