AMRI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 12, 2017

1.0
William S. Marth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You work with great people who care about you (in 9 reviews)

• Good people in the plant and labs (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They own your soul, no work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried (in 12 reviews)

1. "Opportunity lost"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Project Engineer in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Project Engineer in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people lots of potential

Cons

management taking short view on capital investments

"Better places to work out there than this Sinking Ship..."

Former Employee - Didn't Matter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Didn't Matter in New York, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks didn't bounce while I worked there?
    Benefits were ok - though not on par with major pharma players.
    Colleagues were great . Management though, basically pure evil.

Cons

Work life balance nonexistent. I was made to think I couldn't take time off to mourn the passing of a loved one... HR there also nonexistent.
    No real direction from management other than S.O.S - Sales over Service.
    Constantly shifting objectives and priorities - with no capital to add staff or equipment to meet existing commitments or short term goals.... there are no long term goals - see below...

Advice to Management

None - management will do what it wants - which is to offload the whole company to private equity and cash out - leaving all current employees worrying about their future.
    Google it - "AMRI for Sale"
    All smoke and mirrors - they have no brand identity and no money. Real shame as they used to be well respected in the pharma community years ago...

"Complete disgrace of a company"

Former Employee - Sampler in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Sampler in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are good hard workin folks

Cons

man o man, where do I even begin. Most of the other reviews have touched upon the main issue. Horrible pay and treatment of the employees with a toxic company culture that leaves the vets headed for the exits in droves. Regeneron is pretty much bending AMRI over and pounding away. Pay is a joke, Training for new hire is a joke, work/life balance is a joke and grounds maintenance is a joke. I worked in an area that was supposed to be sterile because we would conduct sampling on ingredients that were going to be used in live production. The floor was chipping away and the "sterile" room was filthy. Told management about it many times and their response was we cant stop production because of this chipping, QA looked at it and gave us the green light". If i was any company that did business with AMRI i would pull away now before their reputation goes down the tubes because of something AMRI did.

Advice to Management

its time to abandon ship

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work place because they dont really care

Cons

Corporate poor management. Does not put money into the business to grow or fix the problem areas, all the directors dont have a clue on what quality is or what needs to be done. No training for the employees either.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and your company before it dies or just close it down before you end up killing a patient

"Do Not Work Here! High Turnover Rate"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None really...Burlington site is a complete joke...all about the reaching quarterly goals that are never met...employees are frustrated and do not believe in company core values

Cons

everything...potential employees please turn away...AMRI does not treat or recognize talented employees. Extremely high turnover rate...stressed, over worked employees...QA department micro manage mentality

Advice to Management

LISTEN to the bottom feeders and less on the quarterly earnings...they are the one doing the labor intensive work.

6. "Bad Management"

I worked at AMRI full-time

Pros

Easy work and flexible schedule

Cons

Lack of communication
    Inexperienced management
    Poor training

"Smoke & Mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with many great people. An intelligent group that work hard. The benefits were good when you had a chance to use them.

Cons

Because the pay wasn't competitive, we'd lose many co-workers. Some people hired weren't qualified for their positions. Can't recruit with poor pay. Large amount of work, not enough people. Hired ex-employees of Teva Pharma whether they were a good fit or not. Couldn't get work done because of them. If the ex-Teva were insulted, they'd run to top brass and whine. We're told there were duplicate services between facilities, so needed to cut people in QA/QC, Production. They weren't out the door before e-mails were sent creating new upper level management positions, most filled with Teva people. Someone needs to rid the company of filth from the top down.

Advice to Management

Almost all of top and middle management is from Teva Pharmaceuticals. Marth, stop bringing over your cronies. Teva's going down the tubes, now AMRI is following suit. Stop creating false titled positions to employ buddies. AMRI doesn't need another Vice President of Lawnmower Maintenance.

"Do not do it!!!"

Former Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent people to work with.

Cons

You name it AMRI has it. Pretty much a sinking ship, jump if you are on board

"Only if you're desperate or fresh out of school"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot. I've worked at places where really you just push a button and you get results, here you BETTER be a little more proactive. Things.will.go.wrong so you will get awesome knowledge in troubleshooting. There are a ton of knowledgeable people so the resources for knowledge are there. Some people are nice, some (they're a little tense in there). If you want to wear different hats you'll probably be able to, because people leave all the time but still the opportunity is there. If you're fresh out of school this is extremely important because other companies will not give you the chance to learn from different departments. Meaning you may get stuck in QC forever if you don't have other experience, so this is where AMRI shines. Think of AMRI as prep school (I'm sure many in there see it that way) you'll learn a lot and most likely move on.

Cons

They let a ton of people go and have higher ups come down and say they don't know how that happened, followed by a lot of finger pointing, then hiring a ton of new people to fill the positions (with limited people even being able to train new hires). People are scared they might lose their job and don't recover well with the amount of layoffs they've  seen, morale is low. AMRI complains that Regeneron poaches their people and wonder why. The turnover rate, dear god I've lost count how many people left in my department, it almost stops being shocking when we hear someone is leaving. You're not gonna get paid, not literally but if you're looking for a decent salary you're going the wrong way other companies pay higher for less work and better benefits. You should only be coming here if you're a. Masochist b. Don't know your worth c. You need experience d. You have nowhere else to go.

Advice to Management

Use resources to really actually boost morale, picnics and donuts don't fix it. That way you can't complain that people leave all the time

Train your managers, please stop pulling random people up and just hope it works out. There are awesome ones in there, it's easy to see cause people flock to them, get all of them formal training. How they perform with their people and how they affect morale will determine how well analysts perform. I've literally heard a manager tell his new-hires that he will try to answer questions but he's really too busy so they should try and get questions answered elsewhere. Or a manager publicly humiliate them, instead of using his office to reprimand people. Leadership training asap.

"Left a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with really great people throughout the organization.
    The cafeteria had good food at decent prices.
    Job opportunities are plentiful because quality employees are leaving.

Cons

There was a Senior management change a few years ago. The current CEO brought on his cronies and friends to take advantage of a cash cow situation. The majority of the senior management team has never had a management role other than in a large division of a much larger company.
    Really great people, especially managers, have been leaving.
    I was in a meeting where the CFO had to have GAAP rules explained to her.
    I was in several meetings where the CIO talked down to and denigrated his direct reports to the point where a person who reported to the CFO threatened to go and file a report with HR if he continued to speak to the woman in such an unprofessional manner.
    Company is heavily in debt as a result of acquisitions. Research the company financials and pay attention to executive compensation.
    Other places pay and treat you better.

Advice to Management

Value your employees keep a close eye on certain members of Senior management who do not treat their direct reports well and encourage their reports to act the same way.
    Stop the bullying.