AMRI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 15, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William S. Marth

Pros
  • I have a great boss; I have learned a lot from the individual (in 7 reviews)

• Good people in the plant and labs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They own your soul, no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• long hours are expected, but not very many people aren't salaried (in 12 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great career experience, coworkers, and cleanrooms.

Cons

Filling machines were not always reliable and would take a long time to set parameters to begin filling. Sometimes this led to long hours to oversee a project to completion, many times with a client on-site observing.

"Overall, a Good Job"

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(note: the position was a contract chemistry job on the Lilly campus) My coworkers were awesome. They really made coming to work everyday worth it. It's a good entry level opportunity (BS/MS 0+). Great location in downtown Indianapolis with a view of the city (4th floor). Free parking downtown in the Lilly lot, even during non-work hours or weekends (if you're going to a Colts or Pacers game, for example).

Cons

Chemists are judged too heavily on 'metrics' (number of rxns run, rxn success rate, etc). The pay isn't great. It seems about 5-20% below what you would expect. As a contract chemist, you may feel at times that the Lilly chemists don't fully appreciate your presence.

Advice to Management

Pay a more competitive salary.

3. "International company, local family feel"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMRI is consistently increasing their domestic and international service offerings. As an established CRO, AMRI works with several large pharma and other industry partners. Department cross-training and seminars introduce employees to the workings of all departments.

Cons

Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization. There is a disconnect between "corportate" and "plant" employees causing power struggles during internal projects. Many key departments are resource strapped causing significant bottlenecks and difficulty to complete IT projects on time.

Advice to Management

Do not consistently operate on the lower end of the industry salary structure. You lose good people when they feel undervalued. More buy-in and support is needed from upper management to drive project completion. Employees should embrace process changes when implementing new software, rather than customizing software to meet "the way we do business".

5. "Good"

Former Employee - Lab in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lab in New York, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and good people

Cons

Limited career grow .
    Resignation is frequent

"Stimulating, fulfilling and challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The experiences (positive and negative) I have at AMRI are as diverse as the people here and as varied as the projects. Overall, working at AMRI has been a stimulating, fulfilling and challenging environment and I value my colleagues who I truly believe have the most "heart" I have ever seen. Those who are unhappy are free to leave (and they do), but I feel like management is doing what can be done (realistically) to balance the needs/wants of all employees and stakeholders in the most forthright and innovative ways. Profitability is continuing to improve even as the industry and economy continues to struggle. The company's internal networking events encourage personal and professional growth, which is a huge positive in my eyes.

Cons

At times (like anywhere else) difficult decisions have been made with less than positive outcomes, but primarily related to the economic downturn. I know for a fact that this company is only one of MANY to experience the same issues.

Advice to Management

Listen more; talk less. I know we are a smaller company with less than 1,500 people, but at times I wish someone from management would embark on an "Undercover Boss" adventure to really bring themselves into the lab to evaluate how their scientific/technical employees are being treated, how their managers are managing, how everyone is interacting with customers on a daily basis (and potentially reward some who might not otherwise be recognized/rewarded).

7. "New changes are making a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CFO is driving positive change. Unfortunately, this has meant some cuts and shutting down of unprofitable divisions but this is long past due. Despite what somebody posted, the medical benefits are excellent and are the best of I have ever had. 2013 rates did not go up with the excpetion of a small increase in dental (less than $1). I find everyone to be professional and easy to work with. Stock price seems to be supporting the positive changes.

Cons

The organization is still top heavy. Along with that, some of these more senior people continue to try and run things like a mom and pop shop because they have been here since the early days. Advancement opportunities are lacking but this seems to be driven more by economic conditions versus anything company related.

Advice to Management

Reach out to the employees and see what they are thinking. They may have some great ideas or can provide additional insight that can help move us in the positive direction.

8. "Something is wrong!"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Rensselaer, NY

Pros

Challenging work with a great Tech Team in Organic Based Pharmaceutical Synthesis.

Cons

Work Force cut to the bone. All your time is spent in keeping head above water. Very little time to improve.

Advice to Management

Identify why we are loosing our brightest employees to the compatition, fix it. HR department has a reputation of being against the employee. Right or wrong, that is the fact, Fix it.

"Great place to work if you have ambition to make a difference."

I have been working at AMRI full-time

Pros

Company growth brings quick advancement opportunities

Cons

Leadership needs improvement. Global company needs global leadership.

Advice to Management

Do better at integrating people in a global setting. Don't wait until it creates a problem.

10. "Stuffy Place"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AMRI as an intern

Pros

Lots of work, good pay. Somewhat meaningful objective.

Cons

Everyone there is so uptight and stuffy. It's the definition of old guard corporation.

Advice to Management

Invest in getting your paperwork digitized. You waste so much paper and man hours filling out that paper.

11. "Internal audit"

Pros

interesting line of business
    nice people in all of the departments

Cons

small company
    locations in weird places

Advice to Management

make sure that the acquisitions are in line with company's overall values