AO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Steve Caunce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role" (in 9 reviews)

• "All the people share the same values, which is important due to the fast paced nature of the business" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be very fast paced occasionally but this is just a side effect of the dedication the team has" (in 13 reviews)

• "Use to be the place to be (USE) NO Work life balance what so ever" (in 6 reviews)

"Excellent job shame spoilt by a bad manager."

Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in Sites, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in Sites, CA

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great set of people overall, john (ceo and founder) such a nice guy... overall thought of well and teated good. Was a maintenace team leader had been there over 3 years,

Cons

Listen when someone is in a difficult situation with a poisonous manager and asking for help! Id be still there now if was the case loved my job and always put in 100%. Unfortunatly had to leave as unsolve issue was making it difficult to work there. Would love to be back under different circumstances.

Advice to Management

Oversee management better.

AO Response

Oct 17, 2017

We always encourage our employees to voice their opinions, and listen to all feedback. We do everything we can to help resolve any issues that are raised.

It’s great... More

2. "Sales"

I worked at AO part-time

Pros

great team, all motivated, competitive

Cons

long hours and have to be immune to being let down by customers

3. "Your contributions will be recognised and if you push yourself you will be rewarded."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bolton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bolton, England (UK)

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on and investment in personal development. Encouragement and support in using latest technologies and methodologies. Sense of autonomy and ownership of products. Supportive community and friendly atmosphere.

Honestly, I have loved my time at AO. The IT department is awesome and the support of those around you is fantastic.

Cons

Cannot speak for the rest of the company but in IT there is a relatively flat hierarchy. If you are somebody who likes extra words in your title this could be a little disheartening. For me, this was never a problem.

Advice to Management

Flexible and remote working - more of this please. Other that, keep being awesome!

4. "Fast paced, Fun and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work for anyone who loves and thrives in a fast paced, target driven sales environment. The reward and recognition you receive through commission, incentives, awards etc is brilliant, and the training and coaching is great too! It’s always fun yet informative and really helps you get better at the job.

Cons

Free chocolate and crisps mean it’s too easy to indulge. Sometimes the fast pace and targets isn’t for everyone but mainly that’s people who aren’t as motivated.

"Big Money"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment with lots of opportunity to earn lots of money. I've worked here for a few years and have already paid off my student loan. Very much a work hard play hard mentality, with social events very frequent. I have seen people i started with already progress to assistant sales manager and sales manager roles. The perks of working for this company are better than any other sales company i have seen in Manchester.

Cons

Has attracted the wrong people in recent times with some negativity seeping into the office. These people are making it worse for the majority.

Advice to Management

Identify the small pocket of people who are creating the negativity and remove them.

6. "Inbound Sales - Bolton"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Bolton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Bolton, England (UK)

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, can earn great money, monthly nights out and events, clear and achievable career path and brilliant incentives that include holidays! A lot of the managers and STM's are from within which is great to see.
    Free drinks, crisps, Starbucks, canteen, really nice office to work in with a spa, gym membership. What more could you want?

Cons

Sometimes you do have to work more hours than expected, but that is expected in sales and its worth doing to earn the money you can get, suppose you can’t expect to earn 50k plus by doing a normal hour week every week.

Advice to Management

Keep giving the support you are giving, and continue to develop people.

"Sales Executive - Manchester"

I worked at AO full-time

Pros

Great bunch of people, excellent training, fun nights out, supportive managers, lovely office, always something going on. Starbucks, cafe, free breakfast, drinks, crisps, chocolate. Amazing money to be earned, always fair and feel valued.

Cons

Some people need to work extra hours to achieve what they want to earn, this causes some people to become negative, they then attempt to push that negativity and it clouds what is actually an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Seeing people who’ve done the role and understand the job progress, really drives others.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Bolton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Bolton, England (UK)

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Really good office space and canteen.
    -Excellent perks such as heavily gym membership.
    -Lots of training provided.

Cons

-Like a cult working there with their values everywhere you turn.
    -Excessive workload.
    -Poor middle management.

Advice to Management

Be more thorough with how staff are treated and who is promoted to managerial level.

AO Response

Jul 6, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review

Our values embody the way that we approach every day to get the best results for both the customer and AO. We continue to offer an experience to our customers that they... More

"Sales Manchester"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having recently read some of the Glassdoor reviews I think they must be corrected. I have had a few sales jobs in Manchester, as have some of my friends. AO is hands down the best one I have had.

Some people want things handing to them on a plate. Life and work just isnt like that. Last year I earned over £50K and did the same the year before. The bonus is uncapped and you can put extra time in, if you want or need to, to hit accelerators.

If you are a good salesperson, you want to earn the most money possible for your ability, so I was surprised to see a few comments about bullying, Yes, your manager will push you. But that is the same in any sales role. Its not a hard life earning so much for speaking to people.

I have also seen many people be promoted during my time here. The option is open for development if you want it. But again these people put the effort in.

The nights out are good and the company Christmas Do and Black Friday period are great. Its proper work hard, play hard. Ive met some really good friends here.

Cons

Some of my peers are negative, which can be draining when you are trying to hit your numbers.

Advice to Management

Dont take people on who are not money motivated. They bring the mood of the department down.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big comms available i usually get 600 pound a week. good nights out, they pay towards parking at the NCP near the office, free snacks and drinks

Cons

Can be hard to get a holiday sometimes

Advice to Management

Stop all the neg heads trying to ruin it, is a good place to work.