AO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
AO CEO Steve Caunce
Steve Caunce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role" (in 13 reviews)

• "The company is very fast paced (sometimes a little hectic" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be very fast paced occasionally but this is just a side effect of the dedication the team has" (in 15 reviews)

• "Use to be the place to be (USE) NO Work life balance what so ever" (in 7 reviews)

"Excellent job shame spoilt by a bad manager."

Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in Sites, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Team Leader in Sites, CA

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great set of people overall, john (ceo and founder) such a nice guy... overall thought of well and teated good. Was a maintenace team leader had been there over 3 years,

Cons

Listen when someone is in a difficult situation with a poisonous manager and asking for help! Id be still there now if was the case loved my job and always put in 100%. Unfortunatly had to leave as unsolve issue was making it difficult to work there. Would love to be back under different circumstances.

Advice to Management

Oversee management better.

AO Response

Oct 17, 2017

We always encourage our employees to voice their opinions, and listen to all feedback. We do everything we can to help resolve any issues that are raised.

It’s great... More

2. "Tough but rewarding"

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money, earning the most money I've ever earned.
    Great culture, loads of nights out to get involved in.
    Fun working environment
    Clear progression

Cons

Long Hours due the 'Get the job done' mentality throughout the office! Fine with this though due to the commission!

3. "Delivery Team, Crewe"

Former Employee - Day of Delivery Team Call Handler in Crewe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Day of Delivery Team Call Handler in Crewe, England (UK)

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is such a wonderful, friendly environment. Managers cant do enough to help and it is a real family environment. You do get free drinks and food etc, but that is nothing compared to the good healthy atmosphere that you will be working in. There are many opportunities to progress, should you choose to and Managers are always open and willing to listen to suggestions or ideas you may have to improve employees lives there as well as the customer service.

Cons

The various shift start times can be an ordeal at first if you are not naturally an early riser, this can sometimes be accommodated/worked around if it becomes an issue though by swapping rota with someone else in the team that doesn't mind the early start/finish.

Advice to Management

Move to Chester so that I can work for you again. I think you are great and am very sad that I had to move on.

4. "Fantastic company, makes getting out of bed and coming to work a joy"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Senior Team Member in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Senior Team Member in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the company 9 months and due to a flexible and understanding recruitment team was able to move from Customer service into Sales. During my time on the sales floor I have worked very closely with management, not only earning money I didn't think possible, but managing to develop my leadership and sales skills closely alongside a progressive and forward-thinking management team. This has allowed me to progress to a Senior Team Member with aspirations of achieving much more. The whole building has a real family feel, from the catering staff right through to the directors, with outside-work activities ranging from go-karting right through to weekly football. The management on the sales floor have been incredibly considerate of family issues and have expressed genuine care and concern for my happiness during my stay here. I can safely say I can see myself at AO for many years to come, and cant wait to grow alongside fantastic people in a fantastic environment.

Cons

Free snacks mean I cant stop eating- if this can be seen as a concern!

Advice to Management

More of the same

5. "The only review you'll need to read."

Current Employee - Assistant Team Manager in Horwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Manager in Horwich, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Basic, Better Commission (if sales based)
    The atmosphere is always upbeat. Everyone is friendly and always smiling.
    Internal development is always really important and happens often with the growing business needs.
    Onsite starbucks for those in need of a wake up, onsite health beauty spa, free fruit, crisps, chocolate and cans and just incase you think AO haven't thought of it all £2 gym membership just across the road.
    I've worked here for 6.5 years and enjoy everyday.

AO is a career not a job!!

Cons

The commute to work can be a bit tricky from South Manchester.

6. "Inbound Sales STM"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales STM in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales STM in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential, Over time potential, progression, Team nights out payed for by the business, Rewards and recognition at the quarterly awards, AO Hires staff on personality traits and that is evident when walking around everyone is very happy and positive I would say that is the biggest pro the people make it the perfect environment for a money hungry salesman to make the most of an uncapped bonus structure.

Cons

If you say in your interview you are a positive person who thrives under the pressure of a sales environment and you are not, this will be evident from the first week in the job after training.

7. "So good I came back again"

Current Employee - Recruitment in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A culture that can't be replicated, fun, warm and happy
    -Investment in your development from fantastic trainers
    -Autonomy in your role and making key decisions
    -Amazing on site perks such as Starbucks and a spa
    -Happy to go to work in the morning

Cons

-a business filled with driven people means not everyone can progress at the same time and so patience and hard work is really important

Advice to Management

Keep it fun, it's what makes us so different. Coming to work feels like coming to a friends house - so warm and full of energy.

"a bonus structure that changes like the weather and you guessed correctly it gets worse"

I worked at AO full-time

Pros

a real solid set up in terms of various departments within the organisation

Cons

Staff that are unhappy because of the new compliance script. Lets be fair the new commission structure is to make it harder for any of the staff to make money, the language on the floor is foul which doesn't help creating professional environment that is from agents to management

Advice to Management

sort your staff and know what is actually happening in your departments

9. "AO simply the best job ever"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at AO.com on the Inbound team, been there a while now.

Lively, friendly place to work in. Good training given with a great working environment.

Lots going on in and out of the work place with many social events.

Calls inbound are very similar although individually different, once up to speed on how it all works the stats set are achievable.

Information about the business is always given also 1 “2” 1’s, and regular feedback.

The intranet with in AO is a valuable source of information that is easily sourced.

Managers are friendly and helpful as too are the staff that work there.

Plenty of perks like; monitored free car park. Spa on site.

Subsidised cycle to work scheme and gym membership

Free coffee, tea, in the breakout areas.

Free breakfast bars, a good range of free cereals and juice. There is the hot breakfast, subsidised.

Cans of pop, Chocolates, Crisp all free.

Starbucks, good range of coffee’s and sandwiches.

Plenty of fruit, that is fresh and hot food , good range, plus salad bars.

The Parklands is the dining area, spacious with entertainment such as football, pool and table tennis tables. Plus a Playstation 4 arcade type console.

Found that AO lives by its values of caring, driven, smart, bold and fun. Seen many examples from AO’ers in all areas of AO.

Best job by far.

Cons

None at present. Everything is ok so far...

Advice to Management

Keep living and displaying the core values of being caring, bold, smart, driven and fun.

"AO Lets Go . Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great people, management, and great work ethos.
    Plenty of scope for progression.

Since my time here, I have seen colleagues move into different areas of the business, Marketing, HR, Training, Senior Team Members, and Managers. The pathway for those that wish to progress with help and guidance are second to none.

Vibrant company, free beverages, breakfast, car park, chocolates, and so on. Gym membership, prices less than a glass of wine or a pint of beer. Share save scheme, cycle to work and much more. Lots of perks.

We get busy at times, not bad at all, good to be busy, I call it security in the job and the business going in the right direction, AO is growing, growing fast.

Targets set are achievable, good to get that bit extra in the wage packet each month.

New employees who apply for the role Customer Service Advisor go through the Academy with full training. Looked after, allowed to develop and grow.

We have an excellent Training and Development team providing regular training sessions.

What is good is we have a voice, and it is heard, so any issues that you may have you can always speak to your Manager who will always have a listening ear. And also the Task Force, our Task Force, our voice. The Task Force also help greatly with the fun element and organising events. Good social events and lots to do.

C.E.O well, like our founder of AO, you will be pleasantly surprised in finding a person who cares about all staff and the business. Someone who takes time to talk to everyone in the business usually on a monthly basis.

Overall, working at AO is a great place to be.

Cons

Wagon Wheels replace them with "crunchie" bars

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and adopt the .."if your name is not on the list , you are not getting in" scenario...Keep those that desire and enjoy to working at AO. .
    Those that don't , well there name is not on the list..