AOC (Architect of the Capitol) Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Custodian"

Current Employee - Night Custodian in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Night Custodian in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay for your education.

Cons

Its at the night time

Advice to Management

Na

2. "Hvac"

Current Employee - AC Equipment Mechanic in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AC Equipment Mechanic in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, job security, great team environment, great supervisors, beautiful historic grounds, and more. Interesting events are always happening on the hill.

Cons

As a blue collar employee I have no complaints about Architect of the capitol. The only complaints I ever hear about are from the CVC.

Advice to Management

Management has put more emphasis on employee development the last couple of years and it shows. Please continue to support programs put in place to allow employees to reach professional goals.

3. "Law Clerk Review"

Former Employee - Law Clerk/Summer Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Law Clerk/Summer Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) (Less than a year)

Pros

Federal Government so the typical government environment which isn't super stressful and an overall nice place to work.

Cons

Pay was incredibly little. In fact high schoolers made the same amount per hour as law students.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

4. "Great place to work. Great mission and people."

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Washington, DC

Pros

Highly motivated and focused team dedicated to supporting Congress, the Supreme Court and the American public. Very focused on fairness equality, diversity and excellence. Committed to continual improvement and working together to provide world class customer service.

Cons

There really aren't any cons to share. The organization has continually shown a commitment to improve service provision on all fronts to both internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the people the Agency that continue to make the mission happen and take pride in their contribution!

"White Collar Employee"

Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love architecture in buildings. Wonderful experience to see the beautiful architecture in the U.S. Capitol, Supreme Court, House and Senate buildings.

Cons

Poor management exists at all level. Supervisors are not held accountable for violating the Agency's standards of conduct and mistreating employees. Employees working in legislative branch agencies of the federal government have no whistleblower protection and management officials take advantage of this fact.

Advice to Management

Condoning bad behavior by supervisors affects employee morale. The good rating in the climate survey is a farce. While the feedback is real, employees don't put their real names, races, where they work on these surveys for fear of retaliation.

6. "I loved working with all my co workers and the experience was wonderful"

Former Employee - Costodial Worker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Costodial Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours were wonderful and not to far home and I loved it.

Cons

The lunch breaks at 4am was a little hard to adjust to.

Advice to Management

To continue to keep your employees on their toes and keep up the good work.

7. "Pros and Cons to working for the AOC"

Current Employee - Visitor Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Visitor Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•The work environment is never dull. Always something going on at the Capitol (E.x., ceremonies, receptions, visits by foreign dignitaries, etc...).
    •It is great place to work if one enjoys providing outstanding customer service and meeting different types of people.
    •The grounds and Capitol complex are well maintained and beautiful. The architecture of the buildings are amazing!
    •My supervisors and colleagues are very helpful. Great place to work if one likes working in a team environment.
    •Good benefits.

Cons

Human Resources and the Administrative Staff needs improvement. My observations of the HR and Administrative Staff have not impressed me. Improvements need to be made. There is a "pass the buck" mentality, and lack of communication with AOC stafff and with new employees during the on boarding portion of the hiring process.

Advice to Management

HR and Administrative Staff need more training with customer service.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Inspiring agency to work for. The employees all take pride in what they do for the Capitol community and for the visitors to the Capitol campus. I have been promoted and rewarded for hard work and dedication. If you work hard here, you will be supported and appreciated. The benefits are excellent, including a student loan repayment program.

Cons

Change is difficult both for employees and organizationally. More women need to be in positions of responsibility. People can get stuck with blinders on and need to be able to see other options.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing both up and down the ladder.

"Avoid this place if you can"

Former Employee - Ford Building in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Ford Building in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time

Pros

Overall exposure at the Capitol complex
    Paid on time
    A good place to hang out if you have no career goals other than remain stagnant.
    Some strong leaders - just not enough for me to stay any longer

Cons

Some supervisors cannot read or write - several cannot effectively communicate
    Rare opportunities for promotions
    Training classes cannot be attended because of work schedules
    Too many policies to understand - you have to search multiple places to try to find an answer. Don't bother asking your supervisors, they just refer you to HR
    Excepted Service - positions here do not make you competitive.

Advice to Management

Why comment on this when they do nothing but give themselves pay raises each year. Stop advocating your values when most of your leaders are not doing it themselves (Do as I say not as I do mentality).

"Custodial Worker"

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time

Pros

Benefits are the only thing keeping me here.

Cons

Really horrible working environment. Where do I even begin, given my ethnic background, I have been discriminated against on numerous occasions by Supervisors and coworkers. I have been rationed cleaning materials on purpose. I have been insulted by a number of Supervisors and yelled at to hurry up and do my work. I'm usually given double the work than everyone else to carry out by myself. General Management doesn't seem to care enough to actually do anything about it. I do recommend working for Architect of The Capitol.

Advice to Management

Re-train your management team or replace them.