AOC (Architect of the Capitol) Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
AOC (Architect of the Capitol) Architect of the Capitol Stephen T. Ayers
Stephen T. Ayers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "But, overall, AOC is a great place to work" (in 5 reviews)

• "The usual benefits of working for the Federal Government including pay, benefits, and reasonable job security" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a large reason they experience such a high turnover rate among employees" (in 3 reviews)

• "It would be nice if upper management was more forthcoming (especially with their non-" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Experience!"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team-oriented workplace. Tons of support. A Great place to start out.

Cons

None at all. Great people.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Nope"

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health insurance, student loan reimbursement, travel stipends.

Cons

Management, pay, no balance of work/life, everyone laughs at you behind your back while claiming to be helpful. Continuous drama amongst the team and management. Corny atmosphere. Nasty visitors.

Advice to Management

CEO need to be let go all the way down to mamangement. Start all over and build yourselves up. We were supposed to be a team when in reality everyone was working against each other.

3. "Run"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, travel perks, student loan reimbursement, beautiful architecture and history. Great events for employees to attend.

Cons

Working here is like working in a snake pit. Everyone gossips about one another and smile in your face. The managers are in on it too. They also hire those who “look a certain way” so if you’re skin is darker than the majority, you can forget it. They will use you for temporary work and throw you away like yesterday’s newspaper. Our uniforms are trash. They are cheap and itchy and they give us “refurbished” uniforms. Anyone coming in as a noob, be weary of those that are cliqued up. They will NOT like you and can be very rude at times. I’ve been here as a permanent employee for a total of 6 years and I have witnessed some of the most disturbing and disgusting things you could not even imagine in the work place. They pick anyone to be a manager. All you have to say is you worked in a department store as an assistant manager and boom, you’re making 70,000 a year. They give us these gross walkie talkies to communicate with. They have us outside in the heat to gather up the visitors as if it were a herd of sheep. I’m not kidding. If you look at the process from start to finish it looks robotic. High turnover rate and if you decide to take your chance to work here, you will see for yourself. Micromanaging by your colleagues. The management believes ANYTHING their pets tell them about someone else so you will have no change to defend yourself. You will get written up or worse, fired. So imagine your colleague disliking you and making up a story about you to your manager. You will most likely be written up and watched like a hawk from then on without even knowing what happened because they’re not allowed to disclose such information. You will NOT advance. It’s like a lottery to advance. Good luck

Advice to Management

I need ALL of Management except for the new guy that just started last year, to be retrained in ethics, morality, honesty, and empathy. You are the root and one of the main reasons why our core isn’t what it should be. If it weren’t for my pay grade, I would’ve left a long time ago.

4. "Only Temporary Employment until you can move somewhere else"

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time

Pros

-benefits, decent pay, exciting environment working in the nation's capitol, plus the ceremonies and events are fun to attend, excellent opportunity for networking if trying to move up in the federal government

Cons

-horrible management, unfair treatment towards lower level employees, unfair promotions to unqualified people, lack of consistency in policies
    -high turnover
    -toxic workplace environment
    -lack of relevant training opportunities

Advice to Management

- hire people that are knowledgeable in the field and that have management experience
    -offer more incentives to your employees so that they feel valuable
    -get rid of top-level management, too many people

"Tour Guide"

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Transportation subsidy
    Education about the bulding

Cons

Micro-manged
    short breaks
    uniform
    no promotions
    poor co-workers
    short lunch break
    work holidays and weekends
    repetition to the brink of insanity
    filthy break room
    treated poorly by supervisors and upper management
    constantly chastise

Advice to Management

Quit

6. "Custodian"

Current Employee - Night Custodian in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Night Custodian in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay for your education.

Cons

Its at the night time

Advice to Management

Na

7. "Hvac"

Current Employee - AC Equipment Mechanic in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AC Equipment Mechanic in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits, job security, great team environment, great supervisors, beautiful historic grounds, and more. Interesting events are always happening on the hill.

Cons

As a blue collar employee I have no complaints about Architect of the capitol. The only complaints I ever hear about are from the CVC.

Advice to Management

Management has put more emphasis on employee development the last couple of years and it shows. Please continue to support programs put in place to allow employees to reach professional goals.

8. "Law Clerk Review"

Former Employee - Law Clerk/Summer Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Law Clerk/Summer Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) (Less than a year)

Pros

Federal Government so the typical government environment which isn't super stressful and an overall nice place to work.

Cons

Pay was incredibly little. In fact high schoolers made the same amount per hour as law students.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

9. "Great place to work. Great mission and people."

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Washington, DC

Pros

Highly motivated and focused team dedicated to supporting Congress, the Supreme Court and the American public. Very focused on fairness equality, diversity and excellence. Committed to continual improvement and working together to provide world class customer service.

Cons

There really aren't any cons to share. The organization has continually shown a commitment to improve service provision on all fronts to both internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the people the Agency that continue to make the mission happen and take pride in their contribution!

"White Collar Employee"

Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at AOC (Architect of the Capitol) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love architecture in buildings. Wonderful experience to see the beautiful architecture in the U.S. Capitol, Supreme Court, House and Senate buildings.

Cons

Poor management exists at all level. Supervisors are not held accountable for violating the Agency's standards of conduct and mistreating employees. Employees working in legislative branch agencies of the federal government have no whistleblower protection and management officials take advantage of this fact.

Advice to Management

Condoning bad behavior by supervisors affects employee morale. The good rating in the climate survey is a farce. While the feedback is real, employees don't put their real names, races, where they work on these surveys for fear of retaliation.