AOL Reviews in Beverly Hills, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AOL CEO Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong

Cons

1. "AOL - pretty, pretty, pretty good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good pay (but stagnant), bonuses, etc. Good benefits and perks. Flexible. Good group of people. Money could be tossed at problems when need be. Cater to your interests.

Cons

No advancement opportunities - at least in my department. No raises. Uninterested, rotating management team. No real leader.

Advice to Management

Nurture talent better. Take a look at the micro level. At least show some interest in employees and the work that they do. In regards to video content, find a strong, cohesive vision. The creative direction changes every year - none of them successful.

2. "Full TIme Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, pay for phone, generally nice people

Cons

What you would expect, an old school tech company trying to be a new age Goliath. Lots of growing pains. No room for growth or promotion. They change, just to say they have changed.

Advice to Management

Figure it out quick or you'll be gobbled by the Big 2. Figure out a plan and execute it. Cant keep cutting people and expecting the product not to suffer.

3. "AOL Studios Falters"

Former Employee - Senior Video Editor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Video Editor in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits include matching 401k, matching annual charity donation up to $500, competitive medical and dental insurance coverage, high-end hardware and software

Cons

Too many layers of bureaucracy between creatives and decision makers. Producers with original ideas passed over in favor of sales and advertising people.

Advice to Management

Must create an environment of meritocracy and hire people who have experience developing and producing ideas from scratch.

4. "Work is FUN"

Current Contractor - Assistant Account Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Assistant Account Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work hours. Excellent Team structure. Awesome perks and benefits. Great place to work for

Cons

lots of change is happening but this is also a good thing as it opens up opportunities for growth and development

Advice to Management

Keep things as they are

5. "AOL cares about its employees and it shows in perks and retention."

Former Intern - Sales and Advertising in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Intern - Sales and Advertising in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Aol has all of the perks of the big tech companies and maintains a small family feel. Some examples include yoga, happy hours, volunteering, catered lunches, paid internship, etc.

Cons

The advertising product can be somewhat mundane, but as Aol continues to innovate and strategically acquire, I imagine the day-to-day will become more interesting.

Advice to Management

Time off could be increased.

"Everything went well until they sold the group I was working for."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, excellent office environment.

Cons

When they were selling the group they kept us in the dark, we had no idea what was happening with our jobs.

"A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment.""

Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family friendly, general pervasiveness of work-life balance attitude, collaborative & optimistic culture (within the Beverly Hills office), dog friendly (within the Beverly Hills office), VP level executives appear approachable and collaborative, awesome original/premium written & video content for a digital/tech company, pioneer of programmatic revolution.

Cons

Brands (aka, Huffington Post, Patch) work very separately from corporate AOL including with product management/business operations/most important decisions, sellers rely on specialists too much which makes every sale very expensive and keeps sellers' knowledge relatively poor of company's products, consumer experiences are not reaching scale successfully, mobile consumer experiences are not invested in enough, decision making is vague and ambiguous, direction of AOL corporate is not clear, horrible external corporate branding is not getting fixed so consumer perception of AOL brand is still poor, politics with industry personality corporate leaders, talent/skill varies widely (not an exceptional standard throughout the company)

Advice to Management

I get the big bets on programmatic. But we also need to make some bets on consumer experience with some refreshed talent on a corporate level (bigger level than just within a brand). Maybe some acquisitions in our near future? Also, product need some time to breathe and cultivate with resources dedicated to them if they were allowed to initiate. We'll never create anything good if we don't allow it to grow.

8. "Roll of the Dice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paying, swank office (Beverly Hills), fun place, covered underground parking, clean restrooms, top of the line equipment, free food, free BEER (yes, you read that right) and free bicycles to ride around the neighborhood on for lunch or dinner

Cons

So the all of the above sounds great, right? Well, trouble in paradise hits when you have constant lack of job security! AOL is kind of a dysfunctional company, constantly trying to re-invent itself. Currently it's under the dominion of Arianna Huffington, who, on a whim, decided she didn't need my branch of the AOL government anymore! And it doesn't help when your left kind of directionless, which is due to poor communication from management. Although the flip-side to that coin might be ok if you don't like someone hovering over your shoulder all the time...

Advice to Management

Talk to people underneath you more often and it won't be so awkward when you check in on them every three weeks!

9. "The best internship I've ever had with the best co-workers I've ever had"

Current Intern - Sales & Advertising Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Intern - Sales & Advertising Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, encouraging learning environment, great benefits

Cons

The only con was that interns didn't get benefits, but then again interns don't receive health benefits anywhere else! AOL pays their interns, very well too, while many companies don't pay their interns at all

"Still so much potential.."

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

People were fantastic, challenging problems, plenty of room for positive influences to thrive. The company had a great campus, flexible work hours, and lots of perks.

Cons

Slow product cycle, waterfall methodology to development, not up to speed with more recent technologies. Upper management sits miles and miles away, and is disjointed from their employeees and from the products being developed. The company is in need of dropping their fleeting assets and get the talent they still have working in-house to start building world-class products again. Yet another problem: many of the brilliant talent they had working have left the company years ago, and they struggle to compete with getting top-tier talent in more recent years.

Advice to Management

Let the engineers, engineeer again.

Showing 10 of 1,256 reviews