AOL Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AOL CEO Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong

Pros
Cons
  • Pay could be better, but there is a good work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• 9 years to reach a senior management position unless you're some kind of prodigy) (in 40 reviews)

1. "Great Leadership, Great Products"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart group of people who are very dedicated

Cons

no viable process to seamlessly integrate acquired companies

Advice to Management

Need to stick to long term vision

2. "Great people"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AOL (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at aol are smart, hardworking and really want to win.

Cons

Their offering is so vast - it's hard to do anything really well.

3. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and culture. Can achieve good Work/Life balance.

Cons

Very little room for career growth

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for top performing employees to grow within the organization.

5. "Inspiring Leadership, Frequent Re-Orgs"

Former Employee - Director, Training in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director, Training in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AOL is on a mission to reinvent itself - and after being bought by Verizon, and with AOL leadership soon to take the helm in the anticipated merge with Yahoo! in 2017, you could make a strong case that they already have. Great work life balance and company culture. At least in NY and the West Coast, you can expect to be surrounded by smart people doing great work.

Cons

With the constant acquisition of startups fueling growth in new directions, shake-ups in team leadership, roles and responsibilities, and overall headcount are an almost quarterly occurrence for divisions close to the action. Fasten your seat belts, it's a bumpy ride.

Advice to Management

Less leadership hunger games and old guard pulling rank; more of what Tim Armstrong does best (disrupting the status quo while shooting from the hip)

6. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff - people make the place!

Cons

Many changes with acquisitions coming on board

Advice to Management

Integrate your acquisitions better

7. "Great company to work for if you work for the right division (not AOL One/Vidible)"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AOL, now part of Verizon, has many different companies/divisions within it. AOL as a whole is a great company in that they offer amazing benefits (health care mostly covered by them, vision, dental, 401K with a company match, gym discounts, occasional happy hours, crazy holiday parties, etc.) but not all divisions there are created equal.

Cons

I worked for the video division, which was first 5 Min Media, then AOL On and now is under AOL One as part of the Vidible group. While I can recommend working for AOL the company, I cannot recommend working for AOL One or Vidible. At 5min/AOL On, everything was great. The team was happy, cohesive, comradery was strong and, best of all, supply was growing. Once management was taken over by the Vidible team though, it all of took a 160-degree turn.

This is specifically why I am giving AOL 3 stars. I would give my first few years 5 stars and my last few years 1 star. As such, I’m going with an overall three in this review.

The CTO is a nightmare to work with or for. The man expects you to always be working. In his opinion family, your personal life, sleep, health etc. all come after work. He is an extremely arrogant man who couldn’t care less for you or your partners. I once sat in a meeting with him where, when discussing how unhappy AOL On partners were with the abrupt and disastrous transition off of the AOL On platform to Vidible’s, his literal advice was to show them the door but using much harsher language.

You also better not have any of your own ideas or opinions because, if you do, he doesn’t want to hear them. In his world, his opinion is the only one that matters and he can’t be bothered with your feeble thoughts.

AOL wasn’t always like this. They used to encourage employees to speak up, push the boundaries, innovate and think out-side-the-box. Once Verizon took over and Tim Armstrong essentially disappeared.

In other words, if you OK with working in an environment where you are expected to stand-in line, do as you are told and throw away any personal thoughts or opinions you have on improvements or innovation, this is the place for you. Otherwise, unless you desperately need a job or the offer is too good to pass up, I’d recommend staying away from any position within AOL One.

Advice to Management

Adopt your old methods that help make AOL a great company once more. Back when Tim Armstrong first joined and started to turn the ship around. This doom-and-gloom atmosphere is unhealthy and it’s no wonder some of your best talent is starting to jump ship. Employee happiness is important, don't forget that.

8. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and fun work environment, relatively good salary too.

Cons

Overall strategy shifts every 3 months- so sometimes you begin a project, only to have to switch gears just 3 months in. Can be extremely frustrating.

9. "Director, Shared Services"

Former Employee - Director Shared Services in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Director Shared Services in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great people, lots of opportunity to learn new things and grow skills and abilities, great benefits. A company that takes risks and always looks to improve.

Cons

Not always as focused on the customer as they should be, at least in the group I worked in. Not all groups and individuals are held to the same standards. Projects are not always as coordinated as they should be. Prioritization is a big problem and as a result, people lose focus because everything is considered a priority.

Advice to Management

Keep taking risks. Invest in project management resources. Invest in IT talent for your corporate teams; they can only do so much with process....sometimes tools make the difference.

10. "Some freedom to grow but ultimately your fate is in the hands of ad sales."

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of exec movement opened up opportunities to grow and find your own way.
    Great benefits and a pretty supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Executives were put in place who did not understand the business of our unit.
    Most high level decisions were made without input from people who knew the technology better which resulted in overpaying for acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Too many decisions were reactionary. Have executives involve other levels before making acquisitions.

11. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, Some freedom to work on new things

Cons

Too many acquisitions that were poorly integrated