AOL Reviews

1. "Account Director"

Former Employee - Strategic Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Strategic Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the culture and the investment they placed in their employees.

Cons

They seemed to lose focus on the importance of sales relationships when making organizational restructuring decisions. Often it's not the product customers are buying, it's the relationship with the salesperson.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the growth - continue to focus on the unique talents and relationships your salespeople bring to market.

"Sales"

Pros

The company has good benefits - tuition reimbursement, health care, paid time off, etc. Also, they make an effort to create a fun work environment.

Cons

Hard to be the new person - bottom of the barrel accounts left for sales, and not always fair at splitting or recognizing deals. Also, can be hard to feel like part of the team since there's already such a tight knit group.

Advice to Management

Focus more on being fair to your team members. Provide better training. Also, the office needs to be more professional. Management hollaring inappropriate and crude profanities at other team members makes for a hostile work environment.

3. "Great Place!"

Pros

You get to work with very fun and smart people. It was a very good experience and most people are given plenty of responsibility quickly.

Cons

It is a very large company with a complex organizational hierarchy. For some people, it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the culture of enthusiasm and collaboration. I think it is one of the greatest strengths of the company and a great way to make workers excited about what they are doing.

5. "Excellent experience at AOL."

Former Employee - Director, MS&D Integration in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Director, MS&D Integration in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, young, vibrant environment. Great ideas and people in the organization. Recognition for hard work is shared with colleagues.

Cons

Looming layoff feeling constantly is a morale killer. Work life balance is determined by yourself (which is good) however that means you need to figure out how to get all your projects done on time.

Advice to Management

Stop the monthly mini layoffs and rebuild.

6. "Intern"

Pros

Lots of cool projects to work on, and the managers are awesome. You will learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

They want to make you a 6 month intern after your graduate and you may not become a full-time employee, so that is something to think about it

Advice to Management

Make your promising interns into fill-time employees because your leaking valuable talent.

7. "Amazing Place to Work At"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Manager in Dulles, VA

Pros

Excellent technology initiatives, great presence with cloud based technologies. great working atmosphere. people are treated very well Work life balance is very good Very nimble work culture

Cons

Cons are upto each individual's perspective, I have been given a lot of opportunities and am extremely happy at AOL.

8. "Associate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging, opportunities to grow, Good benefits

Cons

No Job security, Moderate work life balance,

9. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Ad Sales Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Ad Sales Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative to say.

10. "Aol."

Pros

Once I was hired and arrived for my start date, everything went like clock work. It didn't matter that the HR person assigned to me wasn't there, because the senior HR person assigned others to set up my equipment and orient me to where I sat and answer any of my questions. Everyone was friendly and made me feel at home. I have only worked here a short while, but the on boarding experience has continued to be excellent. My boss and then up the chain seem to be great to work with. They clearly want you to succeed and learn how to work with the team so that the best quality product can be delivered. Processes are well spelled out and I was even given a choice between Mac or PC, Android or iPhone.

Cons

Some things take too long due to higher up processes. In the end, so far so great. I'l update later.

Advice to Management

Not sure yet.

11. "Most employees are terrific, but executive management is shaky"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance Decent pay and benefits Lots of useful and fun facilities and diversions in the offices Most co-workers are intelligent and fun

Cons

Layoffs! At its worst, there might be a mini-layoff every week. Nothing like fearing that every meeting with your manager might be "the one". Executive management reluctant to stay the course on most projects. Decisions flopped back and forth frequently, and many projects were canned before they had a reasonable chance to prove themselves. Remains to be seen if these factors get better, worse, or unchanged now that AOL is part of Verizon.

Advice to Management

Make a long-term plan and stick to it... for the entire company, not just a couple "crown jewels". If you're going to have layoffs, do it once, do it right, and be done with it. Constant mini-layoffs keep morale low.

RSS Feed </> Embed