AOL Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

AOL CEO Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great working environment - they look after you."

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best working environment I've experienced out of my 8 or so different jobs I've had. Really good benefits package - heavily subsidised gym membership, great pension deal, good social events.

Cons

It was acquiring a lot of other companies at the time so my team structure and what I was working on and even the way I worked changed a number of times. The result was projects I'd been working on becoming totally redundant and therefore a waste of time and money. This could be a standard thing in large companies that are forever expanding.

Advice to Management

If you keep acquiring innovative, agile startups and try and absorb them fully in to your massive organisation, the startup will no longer be what it was - becoming less agile and innovative.

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

good benefits, nice people, salaries are ok, central location

Cons

a lot of corporate burocracy, but other than that is ok

3. "Chaotic but always fun"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, everyone`s enthusiastic and passionate about their work, you always find someone to learn from.

Cons

Quite bureaucratic, things might take long to get sorted but eventually it will be all done.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people in an environment where everyone works extremely well together and wishes to progress. Great work life balance

Cons

Very heavily focused on the US side of the business and other countries/regions can get overlooked.

Advice to Management

Ensure employees are listened to and when new information is surfaced it's brought to the attention of the employees as soon as possible.

"AOL is OK"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people working along you.
    Articulated company vision.
    Time to have some fun.

Cons

Disconnect between parts of the business due to product fragmentation, but being progressively fixed.

6. "Stranded Hopes"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big plans and strategy. Good products!

Cons

Slow actions and not much opportunity in certain areas

"Ok if the face fits"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free beer on a thursday, free massage every other week, some nice people, some truly evil.

Cons

they say they care, but don't. number of redundancies in Christmas week! Hmm they do not care. All about the bottom line and not the people.

Advice to Management

stop backstabbing and politics

8. "Big name in Ads but AOL is the best looking horse at a glue factory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Free booze on Thursday's
        • Great team spirit/company culture and social community
        • Summer finishes at 2pm
        • Big xmas party (Cargo in 2015)
        • Lot of fun, team/underdog spirit
        • Above average benefits package
        • Very good work/life balance

Cons

• Terrible Tech
            ○ Mostly due to significantly below average (from my experience) engineering and product teams and awful integrations with acquired companies (maybe Yahoo may help)
        • Absolute mess structurally with very few people knowing how anything works, one colleague said "at other companies you have everything written down on paper, at AOL it's all in people's heads"
        • Questionable future strategy, recent Tim Armstrong appearances make it seem like advertising is not important to the company anymore, all about content
        • Extremely US focused, UK and ROW an afterthought (not really a global company)
        • Cancelled summer and xmas party 2016
        • Embarrassing brand, some employees don't even admit they work at AOL on LinkedIn, they put "HuffPost"
        • Pay is average/below market expectations
        • Yahoo could be a pro, but objectively it's a lot of risk and will ensure future instability at AOL
    I no longer believe TA has a plan for the company, he planned and executed incredibly well from AOL-Time Warner spin out until the Verizon acquisition, since then I don't think he has a solid plan for the business and I don't really think Verizon do either.

Advice to Management

• Develop talent and offer internal opportunities or the best will leave/continue leaving (recent training initiative has helped)
        • Very backward mindset towards modern working, specifically working from home. WFH isn't a prescriptive once every X week policy, it's all about trust and flexibility which most management fail to understand. It's about having the option and choice to be as productive as possible (I, for example, WFH only three times in an entire year, but having the flexibility and knowing my employer trusted me goes far beyond any other motivational driver an employer can offer (Microsoft truly understood that).
        • Still huge cultural divides and massive silo's as a result of mashing together dozens of failed M&A's together (especially HuffPost)

"Circus Show"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits decent, fortnightly massages, healthy get fit program with in house trainer

Cons

- US centric business and rest of the markets an afterthought (No they are not truly global)
    - Very siloed and the AOL culture has been lost especially since Microsoft management came over
    - Big pay differences between same level staff
    - Stagnant growth; no career progression and no pay rises
    - Massive redundancies just before Christmas to disadvantage staff as there are less working days to work out consultations and internal opportunities
    - Rationales for some roles made redundant are ridiculous, have no merit and shows they do not even know what the individual does in their role
    - Label roles randomly with titles never used or officially given to justify uniqueness and thus redundant to protect ex-microsoft staff
    - redundancies affected a majority of true blue AOLers and only a small minority of long tenured Microsoft staff > no knowledge retention
    - announced that redundancies were not about talent but yet made no effort to reduce redundancies internally and converting contractors to FTEs
    - many in management have a poor understanding or knowledge of legacy products

Advice to Management

The ex-Microsoft management personnel given high level positions at AOL are running this business to the ground. They have bred animosity in the workplace, making the environment vile and vindictive, creating a distinct divide. The people who ran and grew AOL have all left as constant restructures with no clear concrete strategy have left AOLers exasperated.

10. "Sr. Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great well-fare benefits, free booze for happy hours, friendly employees, great location.

Cons

Poor Management/Leadership - The industry is changing so fast while the pace of many senior managers are very slow, creating a distinct gap between their knowledge/insights and the target we have to hit. Aol bought too many products- huge silo.

Advice to Management

You should understand and know the business FIRST

Showing 39 of 1,277 reviews