APA Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
APA Interim Chief Executive Officer Cynthia D. Belar, PhD, ABPP
Cynthia D. Belar, PhD, ABPP

Pros
  • Work-life balance was an important issue that they reasonably try to accommodate (in 19 reviews)

• Great mission, friendly colleagues, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • extremely low pay esp for Washington DC, few chances for upward mobility, inadequate prof development training (in 5 reviews)

• Low Salary, no upward mobility, seems like a dead end job if you're not on the executive track (in 5 reviews)

"10 year employee suddenly feeling insecure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great perks like lunchtime yoga and telework

Cons

Big changes in upper management, layoffs of long time staff, some due to outsourcing

Advice to Management

Take care of your long time, loyal employees who have served the organization well and wish to continue to do so.

"Publishing Applications delivery manager"

Current Employee - Applications Delivery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Applications Delivery Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mental health benefits, cutting edge web development technology implementations, work life balance, telecommuting option, not for profit model, decent pay scales for skilled workers

Cons

No growth, work overload, poor to no management within ITS, lack of soft or management skills, no quality control, no close involvement in operational IT

Advice to Management

Introduce Transparency in organization, old school management style, invest in right IT talent, train staff, set career growth tracks for well performing staff.

"Old school, Various Departmental flavors and no consistency but it maybe in the process to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In some aspect, it is quicker to make decision and adopt new technology for efficiency that are owned by newer leaders came from more progressive background. Case by case Flexibility but you have to proof yourselves before enjoy some flexibility .. and this not across board either

Cons

My assumption that APA is full of exemplary leaders with high emotional intelligence is totally wrong. They are all over the map. Managers are mostly from old school and not properly trained to manage people. Leaders and managers I know do not know how to inspire and motivate their team. All these negativities maybe due to my high expectation of APA leaders to walk the talk and it is just very disappointing. On the other hand, APA thinks that psychology and psychologist are superior than the rest of the world. Very high turn over in some department and might be due to lower salary and lack of leadership inspiration. Hopeful that these might change as APA is financially is just OK and it may not grow well without changing things

Advice to Management

APA's mission and leaders and
    Managers conduct should be in synced and we are just like the rest of the world. Human can only improve by being truthful and sincere in what they say and do. Use psychology in house first not just selling the products to others

4. "Excellent summer internship opportunity"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great program for interns. APA employs interns in various divisions and conducts events for interns to meet each other, learn about APA and career opportunities in Psychology.

Cons

My position involved a lot of administrative duties, which was a nice break from the stress of school, but I wish I had a few more accomplishments to list on my resume from my time there.

Advice to Management

Provide more internship opportunities for graduate students. During events for all the interns across APA, I was usually the oldest and in the minority within my level of education.

"Heaven on Earth"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, the kindness and accommodation of the people, the work ethic - there's nothing NOT to love.

Cons

Current self-evaluation backlash and layoffs have created an aura of poor staff morale. However, management and APA has been open and accommodating to all staff. Those who were laid off received substantial severance packages.

Advice to Management

360 reviews would do really well here, as APA is reluctant to give constructive feedback to managers, some of whom could really use it.

"Impression Management is the key."

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

APA has very generous benefits, a well-educated work force, interesting work, flexible work schedules, and an open environment.

Cons

APA pays a lot of attention to lip service and impression management. Peel back the layers and you will find the ugliness. There is little opportunity for career advancement, management is not culturally or racially diverse in some program areas, management and staff lack the training, skills, knowledge, or motivation to work in a 21st century culturally-diverse environment, and there is a performance evaluation system that has no oversight that leads to inequitable annual merit increases.

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some really nice people working there. The only reason people stay so long are the awesome benefits and relationships with good people.

Cons

It's hard to advance. Management does not push growth. And some managers seem not to care about opening doors for growth.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive to growth within the departments. And urge employees to continue education. I feel some of the jobs didn't require a degree.

"good if you're ready to settle"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at APA include: their PTO policy/accrual rate, the flexibility of working at home for some positions, a quiet room which can be used for relaxing, and a great location for easy metro access/food options.

Cons

Some of the most egregious downsides of working at APA include: the lack of upward career opportunities, low pay, management that lacks the ability to motivate and lead their subordinates, and odd financial decisions made by the uppers that hinder or subvert organizational growth.

Advice to Management

be less "by the numbers" and take more visible leadership roles. the organization is already very siloed so having a more personable manager would help make it seem less us vs them and more of the organization vs. a problem.

"Senior Specialist 8.5 years"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some great, very intelligent colleagues.

Cons

The organization is foundering. Upper management has no vision to right the ship. Pay is substandard, particularly for the DMV area. The organization is clinging to old styles of management and hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Listen to innovative solutions from your employees. Take a hard look at compensation packages. And think hard about organizational structure.

"Mgmt"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly work environment, extracurricular activities, wellness initiatives, volunteer opportunities