APCO Worldwide Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

APCO Worldwide Consultant Reviews

Updated Sep 17, 2019

Found 26 reviews

2.9
APCO Worldwide CEO Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples
  1. Featured Review

"Peak of public affairs"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

-Diverse, collegial colleagues -Global reaches makes for flexible work schedules, a variety of projects and clients -The good managers are great managers, but not always the case -On a trajectory of growth

Cons

Success depends on manager, office.

Advice to Management

Make management a lateral move rather than a promotion/vertical move. Some folks are meant to lead others, some folks don't even want to.

APCO Worldwide2019-02-18

October 8, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for your comment and feedback. We’re always looking for ways to provide opportunities to people as they advance in their careers at APCO and will certainly consider your comments as we work with individuals along the way. Best of luck in your current endeavors!

"Overworked & underpaid, but learned a decent amount"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The APCO office culture is very "flat" and gives its junior staff the opportunity to grow and learn with a fairly quick promotion cycle. Compared to other agencies, the junior staff has a decent amount of responsibility. The people that work here are smart and driven, and generally are nice enough. The work is also interesting - however NY is mainly corporate comms with little public affairs (despite APCOs... reputation as a PA firm). A plus us they are totally flexible on WFH and office is closed Christmas week.

Cons

APCO works its staff to the ground and expects its employees to be available 24/7. They also pay terribly given hours the staff give to their jobs. The result is little work/life balance and a lot of tears over the grueling work. They also have a major staffing issue and teams are often staffed incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Start focusing more on your employees, their happiness, the type of work they want to be on, and improve organizational and staffing structure.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 15, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad you found the work interesting and empowered by APCO’s culture. The work we do for clients is demanding, but we want to make sure everyone feels valued and heard. I would like to discuss your concerns and how we can better help employees with work-life integration and any other feedback you have on your experiences so we can continue to improve and optimize the business. Shaun Corney, North America Talent Director

"Sinking Ship — Run Don’t Walk (HR abysmal)"

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few pros, unfortunately. At first, there was a lot to learn and the clients can be challenging. But the work is so shady and sketchy that you feel dirty getting close to it. The place can be an eye opener — in how to manipulate and distort reality. That’s a positive, right?

Cons

APCO is slowly but unmistakably sinking deeper and deeper. No leadership, no morals, no money. Their only goal, the only reason they exist, is for the financial gain of the so-called leadership. And it doesn’t matter where the money comes from. Despots, abusers of human rights, anti-gay regimes, despicable oligarchs — they’ll happily take money from ANYone. They are so completely out of touch with the times. They... have no VALUES and no PLAN. No plan for this year or next year or next week. Planning ahead is not what they’re about. . The one thing APCO had going for it was culture. That culture is dead and gone. The abysmal HR team is to blame. They’re not “HR bad” — they’re really, really bad. Like legit bad. To be around HR in Washington feels tense and angry. It’s like being around a married couple on the verge of divorce. This is not a team, you think; hell, they don’t even like each other — get me the heck outta here (and indeed so many have left...). No charisma, no leadership, no feel for the place or its people, no sense of purpose. There is even the perception that the HR team actively covers up sex and race and pay inequalities. There is absolutely no sense that HR works for a fair and equal workplace — despite any meaningless words they may throw around, despite their “programs”. Everyone thinks HR is a joke, distant and remote and that they just don’t care. And there is nothing that can change that because it is the truth. You cannot convince employees that you care when really you don’t care and you don’t even bother to talk to anyone. But what can you expect of mindless cogs without an ounce of morality or creativity or leadership?

Advice to Management

What advice can you give to PEOPLES on the Titanic? Move to the front?

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 16, 2019President, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. APCO’s mission, purpose and values are truly at the heart of running this company and serving our clients, and they are part of what have kept me at APCO for almost 20 years. We constantly strive to live up to them and work to instill them in staff at all levels and all departments. Your review is obviously concerning and not a reflection of the experience we would hope for from an employee of three years. I would personally like to learn more about your concerns so we can make sure they are addressed and to ensure that other members of our team can benefit from your feedback. Please reach out. Alternatively, if you are still an employee, you can take advantage of our compliance hotline to remain anonymous. We are open to learning and continuously improving. We build the culture of the firm together and being open and listening to employees is one of our key strengths.

4. "APCO Worlwide Project Consultant"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth, smart coworkers, great culture

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Listen more to what prospective employees want to work on and promote people on merit not based on review cycle

APCO Worldwide2018-03-26
  5. "Great Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At APCO I worked with some of the smartest people in the industry who were extremely successful in previous careers before coming to the firm. The top-heavy nature of the firm made it a great place to learn from my superiors.

Cons

The top-heavy nature also made for a lot of work at the junior levels and the work-life balance wasn't great.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture junior talent.

APCO Worldwide2017-11-06
  6. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collegial, strong benefits, supportive culture, interesting work

Cons

Disorganized, rudderless, no sense of direction

APCO Worldwide2017-08-15

"Consultant"

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly smart people with interesting and impressive backgrounds - Awesome new office space in DC - Pizza and beer happy hour every Thursday - Very flat organization-- opportunities to be challenged and step up into leadership roles, especially for mid-level staff - I heard this depends on the team, but a lot of interaction with and support from your manager

Cons

- Don't expect anyone you talk to (even people in the industry) to know what APCO is. The company just doesn't have a good name for itself despite all the good work. - Long hours and pretty low pay compared to the competitors, which can lead to tension and poor morale. - The billable hour either works for you and keeps you on track or totally burns you out. It is not for everyone and there is a lot of focus... right now at APCO on maintaining high utilization and being 100 percent billable. - Despite the fact that most staff are generally very friendly, you can expect a lack of hellos, smiles, and lots of cold stares and judgmental looks from certain teams. - The management and senior leadership are trying to be more transparent about the direction of the company, but it ends up being a lot of vague and watered down business jargon that doesn't tell people much.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing so heavily on utilization and billing, take a better look at senior staff who are supposed to have great connections, but are just not bringing in new business effectively-- there are plenty of them on more than one team. They're the ones who are overpaid and are not working until midnight like the junior and mid level staff. Junior and mid level staff put up with a lot and bear the brunt of... a lot of crappy work-- pay them more.

APCO Worldwide2016-10-28
  8. "Good entry-level experience"

Project Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide for more than a year

Pros

- Great experience & great resume addition - Creativity is encouraged, with people from all levels often solicited in brainstorms - Teamwork is a big focus, but so is independent work and you often get to “own” projects - A lot of the design work is done in-house, even video & motiongraphics - Opportunities for promotions are regular (entry-level) - High-level client portfolio means big budgets and... interesting projects

Cons

- Large organization with all the bureaucracy that comes with it (rounds of validation, endless meetings, procedures, etc.) - A lot of overtime work & sometimes weekend work - NOT compensated - Clients tend to be large corporations with a lot of internal policies, which can delay developments & limit creative possibilities - Internal communications is not the best - a lot of rumors, last-minute departure... announcements, etc. - Very high turnover means the colleagues you work with change frequently - Low salaries for entry-level positions (can make it hard to pay the rent in big cities) - Not enough of a focus on innovation (from the technology & softwares used in the office to the solutions offered to clients)

APCO Worldwide2016-08-22

"Great people, but struggling to find its feet"

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

People at APCO are top-notch: kind, flexible, and truly care about you.

Cons

If you are used to more creative or dynamic accounts, you won't find it here. A lot of the work is still very DC-driven and dependent on relationships senior leadership have in DC. As a creative professional, you'll spend most of your time working on projects dictated by account teams rather than the creative practice. Pay is pretty subpar, even for DC.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to retaining junior and mid-level staff than satisfying the egos of old-timers. Pay a market salary.

APCO Worldwide2016-02-19

"Work with smart people for below market rates"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work with smart, hard working people - Mentorship was effective and supportive

Cons

- Salaries below market rate - Low morale - Expect to work 60 hour weeks - Creativity is low

Advice to Management

Increase salaries - especially for "junior staff" On that note, stop calling people "junior staff"

APCO Worldwide2015-10-09