KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

APCO Worldwide Director Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2021

Found 32 of over 365 reviews

3.8
APCO Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of APCO Worldwide and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Excellent Company and Culture

Jan 25, 2021 - Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial: you get to blaze your own path. You get to work alongside some of the smartest people, who turn to you for your POV etc. Diversity is one of the company's pillars.

Cons

More competitive pay. Less siloed practice areas

1 person found this review helpful

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience with us.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nice people/ culture; a bit disorganized; mediocre pay

Jul 25, 2021 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice. Collegial work environment. Inclusive. Benefits are relatively good.

Cons

The company is a little disorganized, not super flexible in some ways; pay is low, at least for junior/mid-level, compared to other companies.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great people, great culture

Jun 28, 2021 - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

People, flexibility, great clients and teams

Cons

slow to shift business priorities; post-pandemic retention issues

4. 1.0
    Current Contractor

incompetent, unprofessional

Feb 26, 2021 - Campaign Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Sometimes to protect their own image, they say things that sound good to hear.

Cons

No work-life balance, unprofessional communications, demeaning treatment, zero trusts.

Talent Director, NA

Thank you for your feedback. First and foremost, let me apologize for the poor communication. I would like to hear more, if you are interested. As you know, our company is continuing to grow, and Consultants to help us sustain that growth. Your feedback on our process will help us make it a more meaningful experience for future Consultants and improve communication around what to expect and workload to balance work/life balance.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work with passionate & intelligent colleagues. Long hours, but that's an industry problem.

Jan 8, 2021 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

passionate and intelligent colleagues, interesting and meaningful assignments, good pay & benefits, overall flexible & understaning employer

Cons

long hours, a bit of favoritism displayed

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We have very committed colleagues, who work hard and put in long hours. We encourage team leaders to balance workloads and ensure that staff take breaks. Your feedback will help us improve as we are all challenged with setting boundaries in the current remote and hybrid environment. I am concerned about the comments that you make about favouritism and would really like to understand more about what led to your perception of this - please do get in touch to discuss this. Alison Chisnell, Global Talent Director

6. 2.0
    Current Employee

If you like reputation work, decent place. If you have a conscience, stay away.

Dec 18, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the preeminent shops to do crisis/reputation work. Lots of people who work at APCO have great experience; you can learn a lot.

Cons

They literally work from some of the worst organizations, governments, dictators on earth. If you're not into this type of reputation work, don't work for APCO. Also, below-market salary unless you're doing the really sensitive reputation work. Terrible work-life balance

3 people found this review helpful

Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I would welcome the opportunity to speak directly with you about our compensation philosophy, market benchmarks and work-life balance. We are proud of our work to help clients navigate the challenges of today and make positive impact at critical moments for their organizations. Please reach out! Agnieszka Yank, Chief Talent Officer

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

A place of opportunity and continued professional growth

Mar 4, 2020 - Senior Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

For entrepreneurial and proactive individuals, APCO offers unlimited professional opportunities. If you can think it and build it, it's yours. It's a highly collaborative atmosphere where colleagues work together to win new business and deliver to clients. The diversity of the work gives employees a unique vantage point. However, many chose a career path solely focused on one industry or practice area-- becoming specialists in their field. It's also an environment of constant learning -- whether it's working for a new industry, a unique client challenge or new market -- a day doesn't go by when I don't learn something new. Over the course of my time at APCO, I've been given opportunities to travel, work on some of the most relevant issues facing society today, and build a really meaningful career. I stay at APCO because of the people, the work and the fact that every day is different.

Cons

For those who aren't proactive and entrepreneurial, APCO's structure can be a challenge. It's an incredibly rewarding environment, but it isn't a cultural fit for everyone.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with a significant momentum on its side

Feb 10, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been an employee for almost three years and this feels like an inflection point for APCO. The company just launched its three-year strategy, is undergoing some significant transformation efforts, which will make it stronger in terms of opportunities for employees and business success. The leadership is inspiring and engaged with staff, the culture is guided by a set of refreshed values, the work is exciting and meaningful and the future looks promising. What is unique about APCO is the collaboration, collegiality, and opportunities to work across the global network. There are also a number of real examples of employees advancing their careers at APCO from an intern to a very senior business leader.

Cons

There are always areas for improvement and not everything works well across the board. One area includes compensation and benefits where improvements can be made to attract and retain talent. Another is technology and tools to work more efficiently. I know that the leadership is aware of those opportunities for improvement and is actively working to address them.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place for entrepreneurial spirits

Sep 30, 2019 - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work for well-known companies and organizations. You have the ability to make a difference for the client. People can carve out their own path and career.

Cons

You need to be your own advocate and navigate to the path and clients you want

4 people found this review helpful

Talent Director, North America

Thank you for posting! Firm leaders and human resources are working with managers to partner with employees so collectively we pave the way together. Here’s to 10 more years!

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

You can learn a lot if you're willing to fight your own battles

Oct 6, 2019 - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

APCO boasts a diverse portfolio of clients for both long- and short-term projects, which opens a lot of opportunities to learn different industries and work with a lot of people. The "entrepreneurial" culture rings true, but what that really means is that you're on your own to fight your way through office politics. Great place to cut your teeth at advocating for yourself, working under constant organizational change, and learning to trust very few people. Once you put in a few years and earn the trust of those who matter, work/life balance is manageable due to being so independent and being able to create your own schedule. Arrive at 10am, leave at 5pm, or go on a trip and "work from home"... as long as the work is getting done, no one will ask questions. Compensation is reasonable if you're an aggressive negotiator or have a manager who does the same.

Cons

The office politics are beyond repair. Nepotism has led to a culture of cuddling up to senior leaders who pull weight politically & fending for yourself, sometimes at the expense of others. Management may claim to have your best interest in mind, but they're all just out for themselves, too. Must have a thick skin and be willing to tolerate a lot of BS to be successful. Constant organizational change and waves of departures leave little stability and isolate true talent. The office is very cliquey, so it feels like being thrown back into high school, choosing which table to sit at in the lunchroom. Choose wrong, and you're doomed.

6 people found this review helpful