APCO Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2019

3.3
Brad Staples

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible in holiday-taking, professional in doing business, friendly working environment" (in 17 reviews)

• "The top-heavy nature of the firm made it a great place to learn from my superiors" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The top-heavy nature also made for a lot of work at the junior levels and the work-life balance wasn't great" (in 7 reviews)

• "The people at entry level positions are overworked" (in 9 reviews)

"APCO Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

APCO has a very horizontal power structure. Interns are treated as if they were full time employees earning salary and benefits. APCO Worldwide would be a great place to start a career.

The work at APCO was satisfying and challenging.

Cons

The lack of a mentorship program for interns.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with finding great LEADERS to lead the interns. You really have to be good with working and managing interns. Keep looking for the employees that possess these skills. There were some intern managers that weren't good, but my intern manager was wonderful. Keep finding good talent.

2. "Great stepping stone but don’t stay long term"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great office, work can be interesting, travel, everyone can have a say

Cons

Favoritism, low-pay, questionable clients, demanding, equal environment

Advice to Management

Work on weeding out favoritism and creating a comfortable environment for all political affiliations. Remember actions speak louder than words. Also, payment needs to align with market and would be interested to see what efforts have been done to promote equal and fair pay. Having a fair and no office politics review system. Take care in what clients you select.

3. "Great place to work but no life/work balance"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great and hardworking team, a place where you can grow.

Cons

Senior Management are so occupied with keeping up the business, and loses focus on their employees.

"No work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok. Benefits are fine. Frankly I would rather get paid more money and have fewer company related events. I just want to go home after a long day.

Cons

I have never seen so many people cry in an office. Like constantly. From my direct manager to people on other teams. The upper level management is terrible. I would not recommend a friend work here.

5. "Good culture"

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Some nice coworkers
    Lots of food

Cons

can be overworked at times

6. "AMAZING CULTURE"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great company, awesome culture, great team.

Cons

The commute was awful, but I didn't mind it after a while.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The NY office has great culture, smart people, and an engaged staff.

Cons

Global leadership can feel inauthentic at times.

"Unmet Potential, HR is Cold & Heartless"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

APCO was once was a fun place to work. Great projects, clients and people. You felt you could make an impact no matter how junior. There was comraderie, a good culture. You were part of a team and could get to know colleagues from all over the globe. There was a family atmosphere. And on it’s best days, ever so rare now, you can catch a sliver of this.

Cons

All the pros are gone. The senior leadership is totally greedy and full of themselves. They want to sell the company to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else who does the work. They take and take and take — money, stock, benefits, whatever they can get their grubby ya da on. In a services business HR is massively important. But for the last year and half, HR is cold, distant, rigid, unsupportive. As a team, HR is totally dysfunctional — an endless comedie of errors, poor leadership, mind boggling ignorance. Even the most basic things they get wrong. Misstep after misstep, you just can’t make this stuff up. No one trusts HR, not even the leadership has confidence in it. And HR whines endlessly about their lack of resources even though they have teems of people. Teems of inept people running in circles like chickens without heads.

Advice to Management

The depressing thing is that not too long ago there was openness and warmth. Margery, the founder, was more visible and projected endless confidence and optimism. So it is confounding that they’d have, for instance, an HR team that is the exact oppositee of her: unoriginal, no creativity, ineffective every way. They should know by now that it’s better to cut your losses and move on — before everyone else does and you’re left without a company.

APCO Worldwide Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I particularly take to heart your comments specific to our HR team. We care deeply about the experience of APCO employees and our HR team is... More

"Proceed with caution"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-- A good reputation in the D.C. public affairs scene, and a decent roster of clients

-- Opportunities to travel, especially if you are Junior level and don't mind long days and late nights

-- In general, Junior to mid level employees are nice, and try to fuel a friendly culture

-- Decent brand name recognition -- people in the industry know about APCO, and there is good global recognition especially in Asia and the Middle East

-- Upper level management tries to integrate opportunities for career growth at a junior level ( work abroad opportunities, for instance)

Cons

-- HR is extremely disorganized and off-putting

-- The caliber of clients is poor compared to top firms such as Edelman or Ketchum. There is not much for growth unless you want to essentially work on The Hill forever. If you want to do PR/comms for random trade associations, this is the have for you.

-- Favoritism by upper level management -- certain people get promoted year after year, while others who deserve to be promoted get lost in the mix

-- Long hours and no work life balance. People think it's normal to be at the office until 8 or 9pm everyday. Most people work while on vacation and expect you to do the same.

Advice to Management

There's a reason you have had a major turnover problem in recent years. Look internally to figure out why you can't retain top talent.

"Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice salary compensation and work time

Cons

stressful environment sometimes since it's a public relations agency