APCO Worldwide Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.4
APCO Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples
Pros
  • "Flexible working from home, great hard working environment and sociable(in 20 reviews)

• "The NY office has great culture, smart people, and an engaged staff(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours with high expectations for excellence within the company itself(in 18 reviews)

• "Can be hard to find work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Work environment, management, salary, coworkers

Cons

Can be hard to find work-life balance

July 1, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Thank you very much for your feedback!

"Great Company to Work At"

Former Employee - Project Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, very interested in employees' professional development, lots of flexibility, and good opportunities for international experience

Cons

Low pay compared to similar firms, executives have made a number of questionable decisions about firm direction and clients

3. "Solid for career development"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

professional development, strong community, great co-workers, good client work

Cons

low starting salary, challenging clients

"A place of opportunity and continued professional growth"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For entrepreneurial and proactive individuals, APCO offers unlimited professional opportunities. If you can think it and build it, it's yours. It's a highly collaborative atmosphere where colleagues work together to win new business and deliver to clients. The diversity of the work gives employees a unique vantage point. However, many chose a career path solely focused on one industry or practice area-- becoming specialists in their field. It's also an environment of constant learning -- whether it's working for a new industry, a unique client challenge or new market -- a day doesn't go by when I don't learn something new. Over the course of my time at APCO, I've been given opportunities to travel, work on some of the most relevant issues facing society today, and build a really meaningful career. I stay at APCO because of the people, the work and the fact that every day is different.

Cons

For those who aren't proactive and entrepreneurial, APCO's structure can be a challenge. It's an incredibly rewarding environment, but it isn't a cultural fit for everyone.

Continue reading

"Great company with a significant momentum on its side"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been an employee for almost three years and this feels like an inflection point for APCO. The company just launched its three-year strategy, is undergoing some significant transformation efforts, which will make it stronger in terms of opportunities for employees and business success. The leadership is inspiring and engaged with staff, the culture is guided by a set of refreshed values, the work is exciting and meaningful and the future looks promising. What is unique about APCO is the collaboration, collegiality, and opportunities to work across the global network. There are also a number of real examples of employees advancing their careers at APCO from an intern to a very senior business leader.

Cons

There are always areas for improvement and not everything works well across the board. One area includes compensation and benefits where improvements can be made to attract and retain talent. Another is technology and tools to work more efficiently. I know that the leadership is aware of those opportunities for improvement and is actively working to address them.

Continue reading
  6. "Bad place to work for"

1.0
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at APCO Worldwide part-time

Pros

No Pros other than the people I met

Cons

Bad management, rude coworkers, bad leadership, open office

February 4, 2020Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not reflect the experience that we strive to create for all our employees and interns. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in person, understand more about your experience, and identify specific actions to address your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you, please reach out to me directly. Agnieszka Yank, Chief Talent Officer

"A very nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and courteous colleagues make APCO a wonderful place to work. APCO is simply easy to deal with and that makes all the difference in the world. Hours are relatively light and compensation is excellent.

Cons

There is not enough room for advancement and not as many chances to learn news skills as ai would have liked. Getting promoted takes a long time.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Motion Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Currently the company is going through a concerted effort to improve many aspects (bias, inconsistent processes, culture). If you are an entrepreneurial person, you will thrive at APCO. There is minimal bureaucracy, so you can make your own way regardless of level. The North America design team has been transformed under new leadership so designers can work on the projects they are passionate about without burning out.

Cons

As with any client services position, work-life balance is not engrained in the culture (although some people in leadership roles are actively trying to fix that). On certain projects and pitches, there is a NY vs DC tension between teams. It seems like the culture of each office is very difference and there are unnecessary loyalties despite working for the same company.

Continue reading

"Great place for entrepreneurial spirits"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work for well-known companies and organizations. You have the ability to make a difference for the client. People can carve out their own path and career.

Cons

You need to be your own advocate and navigate to the path and clients you want

October 8, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for posting! Firm leaders and human resources are working with managers to partner with employees so collectively we pave the way together. Here’s to 10 more years!

"You can learn a lot if you're willing to fight your own battles"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APCO boasts a diverse portfolio of clients for both long- and short-term projects, which opens a lot of opportunities to learn different industries and work with a lot of people. The "entrepreneurial" culture rings true, but what that really means is that you're on your own to fight your way through office politics. Great place to cut your teeth at advocating for yourself, working under constant organizational change, and learning to trust very few people. Once you put in a few years and earn the trust of those who matter, work/life balance is manageable due to being so independent and being able to create your own schedule. Arrive at 10am, leave at 5pm, or go on a trip and "work from home"... as long as the work is getting done, no one will ask questions. Compensation is reasonable if you're an aggressive negotiator or have a manager who does the same.

Cons

The office politics are beyond repair. Nepotism has led to a culture of cuddling up to senior leaders who pull weight politically & fending for yourself, sometimes at the expense of others. Management may claim to have your best interest in mind, but they're all just out for themselves, too. Must have a thick skin and be willing to tolerate a lot of BS to be successful. Constant organizational change and waves of departures leave little stability and isolate true talent. The office is very cliquey, so it feels like being thrown back into high school, choosing which table to sit at in the lunchroom. Choose wrong, and you're doomed.

Found 205 reviews