APCO Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad Staples

Pros
  • Flexible in holiday-taking, professional in doing business, friendly working environment (in 14 reviews)

• Pizza and beer happy hour every Thursday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and pretty low pay compared to the competitors, which can lead to tension and poor morale (in 11 reviews)

• The work-life balance all depends on the practice area/department you work in (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Truly a global, integrated firm - opportunity to work with people from different offices on any given account.

Entrepreneurial culture that really gives you a chance to take risks, build a career path and have real ownership over your future.

Commitment to women in leadership (apco is majority woman owned) creates a real sentiment of limitless opportunity and empowerment.

Cons

Work can be intense at times.

2. "Rewarding Challenges, You "get out what you put in""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to build experience. Rewarding and bright colleagues. Collaborative environment. High increases in compensation available over tenure for junior staff.

Cons

Can be overwhelmingly demanding, if you choose.

3. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office Space
    Happy Hour
    Admin Staff are great

Cons

Just google some of the recent news stories about APCO
    The business is family run
    Lots of former Obama Administration people who have never worked in the private sector
    Junior staff are overworked and very underpaid

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror. Clients don't want to hear about how smart you are, they want results.

"A Place in Turmoil"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of promises, but few deliverables.

Cons

Never sure who is in charge and making decisions. Lot's of hoopla without the beef. No upward mobility. Constant revolving door.

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm used to working in fast-paced industries where the utilization and billable hours are all that matters. I appreciate that APCO is invested in my career path and professional development. We work hard but we are recognized for the work that we do. Managers are really good about delivering feedback in real time. I enjoy having healthy and constructive dialogue about what I want/need to get out of experiences. And they listen! Pay is pretty decent, but the perks are great. We do a happy hour in the office every week - free pizza/beer is not a bad thing!

Cons

The pay is pretty decent but I think it could be a bit better.

Advice to Management

Management does a really job of listening to the workforce and being solutions driven. As long as that continues to happen, APCO's culture will continue to thrive!

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly smart people with interesting and impressive backgrounds
    - Awesome new office space in DC
    - Pizza and beer happy hour every Thursday
    - Very flat organization-- opportunities to be challenged and step up into leadership roles, especially for mid-level staff
    - I heard this depends on the team, but a lot of interaction with and support from your manager

Cons

- Don't expect anyone you talk to (even people in the industry) to know what APCO is. The company just doesn't have a good name for itself despite all the good work.
    - Long hours and pretty low pay compared to the competitors, which can lead to tension and poor morale.
    - The billable hour either works for you and keeps you on track or totally burns you out. It is not for everyone and there is a lot of focus right now at APCO on maintaining high utilization and being 100 percent billable.
    - Despite the fact that most staff are generally very friendly, you can expect a lack of hellos, smiles, and lots of cold stares and judgmental looks from certain teams.
    - The management and senior leadership are trying to be more transparent about the direction of the company, but it ends up being a lot of vague and watered down business jargon that doesn't tell people much.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing so heavily on utilization and billing, take a better look at senior staff who are supposed to have great connections, but are just not bringing in new business effectively-- there are plenty of them on more than one team. They're the ones who are overpaid and are not working until midnight like the junior and mid level staff.

Junior and mid level staff put up with a lot and bear the brunt of a lot of crappy work-- pay them more.

7. "Excellent - for the right fit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

APCO is a great place to work - for most. Some people clearly have negative experiences with their managers or projects so outlook here can vary. If you're a capable professional don't come in here without doing some research on who you'll be working with and what their expectations are.

For my personal experience, I'm very well paid, expectations are totally reasonable, there's not a lot of micromanaging, and everyone has a positive attitude. I love it.

General good things
    -Regular office parties
    -Beer and pizza on Thursdays
    -Lots of trainings, office lunches, and other learning opportunities
    -Standing desks, new laptops, occasional tablet giveaways - tech is top notch
    -Everyone here has an impressive background
    -Great office location
    -Pay is good

Cons

Depending on your manager, your workload could suck. I hear some horror stories. This is a big enough place with a huge range of clients so you need to pay careful attention to who you'll be working with in your interview to get a feel for the fit.

Advice to Management

I think management has made some tough decisions the past year - cutting unprofitable teams, pushing legacy employees out the door - and I applaud it. Keep doing you and keep rewarding the best employees.

8. "Good place to build a career"

Former Employee - Art Director, Creative Technologist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Art Director, Creative Technologist in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As an Art Director and Front-End developer, I worked with a lot of fascinating clients from the big to the small, designing and building neat things. I never got bored, and I worked with dedicated, smart people.

Cons

Fairly corporate, with a focus on timesheets. Which makes sense since we billed our clients for time spent. Par for the course, but exhausting.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to do the dirty work, fewer middle management types.

9. "Smart People, Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart people. Warm culture. Interesting client assignments that don't fit traditional labels. Great flexibility to crave your own career path.

Cons

Collective style leadership leads to slow decision making. Need for greater accountabilities. Need to stay competitive on compensation.

10. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

Smart people - great clients - good benefits - lots of locations

Cons

Lots of work...and clients expect round the clock care

Advice to Management

Support the middle managers - they take on the brunt of the work.