APCO Worldwide Intern - Hourly Reviews | Glassdoor

APCO Worldwide Reviews

Updated Oct 6, 2019

Found 183 reviews

2.9
APCO Worldwide CEO Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples
  1. Featured Review

"Peak of public affairs"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

-Diverse, collegial colleagues -Global reaches makes for flexible work schedules, a variety of projects and clients -The good managers are great managers, but not always the case -On a trajectory of growth

Cons

Success depends on manager, office.

Advice to Management

Make management a lateral move rather than a promotion/vertical move. Some folks are meant to lead others, some folks don't even want to.

APCO Worldwide2019-02-18

October 8, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for your comment and feedback. We’re always looking for ways to provide opportunities to people as they advance in their careers at APCO and will certainly consider your comments as we work with individuals along the way. Best of luck in your current endeavors!

2. "A great place to build your career"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Given the breadth of APCO's work, there are many opportunities to learn new skills, industries and issues. Leadership encourages employees to not box themselves in, push themselves and explore new territories.

Cons

To break down walls, there can be limited structure, which means you need to be a self starter to thrive.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-22

"You can learn a lot if you're willing to fight your own battles"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APCO boasts a diverse portfolio of clients for both long- and short-term projects, which opens a lot of opportunities to learn different industries and work with a lot of people. The "entrepreneurial" culture rings true, but what that really means is that you're on your own to fight your way through office politics. Great place to cut your teeth at advocating for yourself, working under constant organizational... change, and learning to trust very few people. Once you put in a few years and earn the trust of those who matter, work/life balance is manageable due to being so independent and being able to create your own schedule. Arrive at 10am, leave at 5pm, or go on a trip and "work from home"... as long as the work is getting done, no one will ask questions. Compensation is reasonable if you're an aggressive negotiator or have a manager who does the same.

Cons

The office politics are beyond repair. Nepotism has led to a culture of cuddling up to senior leaders who pull weight politically & fending for yourself, sometimes at the expense of others. Management may claim to have your best interest in mind, but they're all just out for themselves, too. Must have a thick skin and be willing to tolerate a lot of BS to be successful. Constant organizational change and waves... of departures leave little stability and isolate true talent. The office is very cliquey, so it feels like being thrown back into high school, choosing which table to sit at in the lunchroom. Choose wrong, and you're doomed.

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look at the culture you're building. Your junior staff is overworked and underpaid, your mid-level staff is fighting for resources and for the attention & praise they need to be promoted, and your senior staff is more focused on their own success than ensuring the people under them are being supported, all while protecting the individuals they favor and overlooking others who are genuinely... talented. The ability to navigate the APCO political web outweighs the skills needed to manage clients properly & produce high-quality work.

APCO Worldwide2019-10-06
  4. "Great place for entrepreneurial spirits"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work for well-known companies and organizations. You have the ability to make a difference for the client. People can carve out their own path and career.

Cons

You need to be your own advocate and navigate to the path and clients you want

APCO Worldwide2019-09-30

October 8, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for posting! Firm leaders and human resources are working with managers to partner with employees so collectively we pave the way together. Here’s to 10 more years!

"The mojo is gone..."

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APCO was a sweet place to work. Fun and creative people all around and you could contribute is so many ways. Good travel, out of the box thinking, interesting issues and clients. Also quite international. Once there was energy here, now is sad and grim.

Cons

APCO has lost its mojo. At first, it happened slowly and then it happened suddenly, gone in a burst of wind — and no one can bring it back. The thrill is gone Margery, just look around. Your well-meaning lieutenants — from the CEO to the COO to HR and Accounting — lack any purpose or spark or leadership. Their like dull, loyal functionaries and why? A little $$, I guess. Sad, but thats what its all about here.... Its not about the people and no one sees that this path is a sure way to lose even more $$. Certainly not the hapless HR group. As warm as a witch in December they are even less approachable than Accounting and less competent — no easy thang considering that Accounting cant get invoices out the door correctly and on time. One *shivers* to think about the accuracy of the actual financials. *actual shivers, yo, full bodied shivers* And it’s not just that HRs policies are arbitrary — they don’t even have any policies. There a widespread belief that their utter incompetence creates an environment that favoritism and bias flourishes without restraint. Very often, the loyal but incompetent flacks rise and everyone else falls. HR just goes along with this, backing any view if it comes from the higher ups. Spineless. Pathetic. So outta step. And it goes on and on and on.

Advice to Management

The place is hopeless because the people in the most senior roles compare so poorly to the ones that came before them. Any body that was strong became a threat to the top and they got rid of them. A drastic reduction in the quality of talent. The GR team is basically non existent. Healthcare is a shadow of its former self. There is no common purpose or goal. They move people around geographies in ways that make no... sense. And no one is held to account for so so so many stupid decisions and bad results + the leadership is especially unaccountable. No shocker there. Accounting constantly makes serious errors. In accounting everything they do is wrong or incomplete or late and worse. It’s a joke. The troubling thing is that there r no corrective actions. No decent billing no collections no cash mgmt no system or controls especially no controls. The accounting team is a frantic & nervous mess that is actually worse today than a year ago. Goals unmet, system installation a disaster chronic problems between the regions. No one believes the company is on a path to decent profits and even the profits they tout are highly questionable. Some think they record incomes in that seem questionable just to meet IRS guidelines. Spinners gonna spin. HR see above. The compensation system is totally unfair and arbitrary. Part of this is that the most senior leadership feel entitled to all the money and just look out for themselves. HR plays games with the numbers to fit the scheme they want. They think ppl are stupid. They say there no reduction in force but there is — they do it quietly but everybody know. Whos in charge? Is it the founder? Her son? The CEO? No one knows, it utterly confusing and they all avoid responsibility. Its him, no its her. It is all of them!!!

APCO Worldwide2019-09-28

"Overworked & underpaid, but learned a decent amount"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The APCO office culture is very "flat" and gives its junior staff the opportunity to grow and learn with a fairly quick promotion cycle. Compared to other agencies, the junior staff has a decent amount of responsibility. The people that work here are smart and driven, and generally are nice enough. The work is also interesting - however NY is mainly corporate comms with little public affairs (despite APCOs... reputation as a PA firm). A plus us they are totally flexible on WFH and office is closed Christmas week.

Cons

APCO works its staff to the ground and expects its employees to be available 24/7. They also pay terribly given hours the staff give to their jobs. The result is little work/life balance and a lot of tears over the grueling work. They also have a major staffing issue and teams are often staffed incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Start focusing more on your employees, their happiness, the type of work they want to be on, and improve organizational and staffing structure.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 15, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad you found the work interesting and empowered by APCO’s culture. The work we do for clients is demanding, but we want to make sure everyone feels valued and heard. I would like to discuss your concerns and how we can better help employees with work-life integration and any other feedback you have on your experiences so we can continue to improve and optimize the business. Shaun Corney, North America Talent Director

"God people, significant leadership challenges."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart people, good reputation in some global markets. Several long-time clients. Strong expertise in public affairs in Europe and the Middle East.

Cons

Leadership is not making good choices on business expansion, lack of investment in digital capabilities, decline in creative work, and lack of importance placed on retention of key senior staff. Financial growth has been stagnant for the last decade. Lots of turnover across all levels in the last few years and important senior people leaving in the US. CEO is in Europe and seems detached from global staff.

Advice to Management

Recognize why people hire APCO - for senior staff expertise and overall quality of work, for not having the retail tactical capabilities every agency hires or being in every market. Be smaller but better, Be nicer to people and more loyal. Be honest.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-17

"Did a design internship, was fast-paced and full of work to do but can sometimes be discombobulating."

I worked at APCO Worldwide

Pros

Great people, nice location, always something to do, organized workforce/distribution of work

Cons

Once they know you're on your way out they barely give you anything to do, sometimes overestimated knowledge of work resources

Advice to Management

Give interns more socialization opportunities, maybe provide a more thorough intro session

APCO Worldwide2019-06-24

July 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and also providing useful feedback and suggestions for how we can further improve - we really appreciate it! Alison Chisnell Global Talent Director

"Sinking Ship — Run Don’t Walk (HR abysmal)"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few pros, unfortunately. At first, there was a lot to learn and the clients can be challenging. But the work is so shady and sketchy that you feel dirty getting close to it. The place can be an eye opener — in how to manipulate and distort reality. That’s a positive, right?

Cons

APCO is slowly but unmistakably sinking deeper and deeper. No leadership, no morals, no money. Their only goal, the only reason they exist, is for the financial gain of the so-called leadership. And it doesn’t matter where the money comes from. Despots, abusers of human rights, anti-gay regimes, despicable oligarchs — they’ll happily take money from ANYone. They are so completely out of touch with the times. They... have no VALUES and no PLAN. No plan for this year or next year or next week. Planning ahead is not what they’re about. . The one thing APCO had going for it was culture. That culture is dead and gone. The abysmal HR team is to blame. They’re not “HR bad” — they’re really, really bad. Like legit bad. To be around HR in Washington feels tense and angry. It’s like being around a married couple on the verge of divorce. This is not a team, you think; hell, they don’t even like each other — get me the heck outta here (and indeed so many have left...). No charisma, no leadership, no feel for the place or its people, no sense of purpose. There is even the perception that the HR team actively covers up sex and race and pay inequalities. There is absolutely no sense that HR works for a fair and equal workplace — despite any meaningless words they may throw around, despite their “programs”. Everyone thinks HR is a joke, distant and remote and that they just don’t care. And there is nothing that can change that because it is the truth. You cannot convince employees that you care when really you don’t care and you don’t even bother to talk to anyone. But what can you expect of mindless cogs without an ounce of morality or creativity or leadership?

Advice to Management

What advice can you give to PEOPLES on the Titanic? Move to the front?

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 16, 2019President, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. APCO’s mission, purpose and values are truly at the heart of running this company and serving our clients, and they are part of what have kept me at APCO for almost 20 years. We constantly strive to live up to them and work to instill them in staff at all levels and all departments. Your review is obviously concerning and not a reflection of the experience we would hope for from an employee of three years. I would personally like to learn more about your concerns so we can make sure they are addressed and to ensure that other members of our team can benefit from your feedback. Please reach out. Alternatively, if you are still an employee, you can take advantage of our compliance hotline to remain anonymous. We are open to learning and continuously improving. We build the culture of the firm together and being open and listening to employees is one of our key strengths.

"Great place to work"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow.

Cons

I have no cons about this place.

APCO Worldwide2019-05-19