Cover image for APCO Worldwide

82% Recommend to a Friend
91% Approve of CEO

Found 312 of over 456 reviews

4.1
APCO Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples

132 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of APCO Worldwide and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Love APCO

Nov 17, 2022 - Project Assistant in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are great and I love the working environment

Cons

Remote work can cause communication issues

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible culture

Nov 3, 2022 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative space where you are able to engage with different levels of the company, they pay their interns and provide mentoring.

Cons

You get out what you put in , in the hybrid world we live in and with an international company there is work to be done outside the 9-5 timeframe.

3. Join the APCO Worldwide team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

smart people and good culture

Oct 7, 2022 - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

overall very smart people and intellectually challenging. Opportunities for interesting client work on wide range of issues

Cons

nothing really, it's generally a good firm

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! Best wishes, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Sep 15, 2022 - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture. A lot of freedom to be staffed on projects that interest you. Fully remote with option to come into office. Fridays and Mondays off for holidays (four-day weekends).

Cons

Lower salaries than other firms in industry.

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time with us! Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A place of camaraderie and growth

Sep 9, 2022 - Senior Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at APCO for three years and recently left to pursue a pretty major opportunity and career jump in a different business sector. As I'm reflecting on my time at APCO, I realized a few very special things about working there. 1. The depth of professional experience you can get at APCO is uncommon. It is a small to medium size global firm that actually operates as such, opening the doors to working with people across the network on projects that are interesting and challenging. It's a pretty lean organization, which means that there are ample opportunities to step up and stretch your skills. It wasn't always comfortable or easy, but working there helped me realized how much I was actually capable of and led me in directions that never occurred to me as possibilities. 2. If you want to make friends, this is an excellent place to work. Colleagues are smart, welcoming, and willing to build relationships. I worked in both the Washington DC and New York offices, and there are different vibes depending on where you work, but you can definitely build strong social and professional networks. I have met some of my best friends and mentors through APCO and I realize that you're not always guaranteed to have that in your job. If that isn't what you are looking for at work, that is also okay and you can still succeed, but for me it was a major benefit. 3. When I joined APCO, it took me a while to find my footing and establish myself as a trusted voice and thought partner. By the time I left, I found myself in the driver's seat of some major global projects and was able to have discussions with global and regional leadership about the work and strategy. I gravitate towards the entrepreneurial aspect of the culture and found ways to make it work for me, but also felt consistently supported by my manager. I had the space to try new things, iterate and go back to the drawing board if ideas didn't pan out as originally intended. So much of a person's experience at work is based on their manager, and I was very fortunate with mine. Did I always get what I wanted? Not a chance, but I always felt like I had an advocate.

Cons

1. Time is money and it is the one thing there will never be enough of. Agencies run on accounting for people's time, which creates operational stress for those doing the work. Burnout is real and there aren't always effective strategies for dealing with the workload. If you are on projects that have difficult clients, that can lead to additional time pressures and expectations that are difficult to push back on. I'm not sure that is a problem unique to APCO, but it is a reality of working in client service. 2. It seems like there is a 18 month-2 year window for major projects during which it is easy to get the attention and resources of the firm. After that time, focus shifts and it becomes difficult to keep once-important initiatives going. Yes, priorities shift, but it'd be great to see the long-term business strategy remain constant in some areas. 3. Teach people how to manage. Direct manager relationships are so important for the employee experience and there's tons of resources but no guidance on how to be good in the role. I think the performance management system has room for improvements, and adding metrics for management and development would be a game changer.

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for all of your contributions. Wishing you all the best with this exciting new career move. Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Grow!

Sep 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Strong Culture - Amazing colleagues - Exciting client work - Each day is different - Through review process, great place to grow as a professional

Cons

- Very fast pace - Lack of clear structure at times - Over communication but this is expected working at a communications company

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us and we are glad to hear you are enjoying APCO life. It is greatly appreciated. Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great work

Aug 28, 2022 - Senior Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great client work, flexible, great coworkers

Cons

A lot of fully virtual workers

APCO Worldwide Response

Thanks so much for your great feedback and for your contributions over these many years and we hope many more to come. Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America

9. 5.0

Still going strong

Jul 31, 2022 - Senior Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strategic focus Important client assignments Ability to craft your own career Smart and caring colleagues

Cons

Significant recent departures Thin mid-ranks

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us and for your contribution to our firm. Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work

Jul 20, 2022 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nicest, most collaborative colleagues and really impactful projects!

Cons

None that I can think of

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at APCO. Best wishes, Alison Chisnell, Senior Director, Global Talent.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Culture, Endless Opportunities, Global Reach

Jul 13, 2022 - Director in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Empowering and positive culture, appropriately resourced staff with emphasis on diversity and inclusivity, intentional investment by senior leadership in your growth personally and professionally

Cons

Impressive growth of the firm can result in temporary challenges with capacity

APCO Worldwide Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate it. Best, Semhar Tesfay, Talent Director, North America.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 312 Reviews
</>Embed

APCO Worldwide Reviews FAQs

APCO Worldwide has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 456 reviews left anonymously by employees. 82% of employees would recommend working at APCO Worldwide to a friend and 81% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, APCO Worldwide employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at APCO Worldwide. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

82% of APCO Worldwide employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated APCO Worldwide 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at APCO Worldwide to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with APCO Worldwide Job Seekers