Find jobs for Vice President

APCO Worldwide Vice President Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2021

Found 5 of over 366 reviews

1.0
APCO Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of APCO Worldwide and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to build an awesome resume, great colleagues, fascinating work.

May 12, 2011 - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pizza and beer every Thursday! Okay, maybe that's not the top reason. But it's cool to have that. APCO is the kind of place where you don't hear the word "no" very often. If you have an idea, you just need to raise your hand, share it, explain the rationale, and typically, you get to run with it. Regardless of the level you're at, you have the opportunity to speak up and take charge. And that's why it's such a resume builder. You get to do a LOT at a young age, and really grow in a expedient way. The people at APCO are also fantastic - and in fact, I get separation anxiety thinking about working elsewhere. I have been offered opportunities at direct competitors, and in one case, for 50% more in pay - largely because they were desperate to hire and would do anything - but even that isn't enough to drive me away from APCO. The people are top notch and you won't find a culture like APCO anywhere else in DC.

Cons

APCO is a funny size where it's not small but it's not necessarily large. There's a fine balance we walk between being entrepreneurial and start-up in nature, and having to develop/establish policies and procedures... so there can be ambiguity at times combined with management being too hands off sometimes... but it's better than the bureaucracy you see in many other institutions in DC!

4 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0

Inequity on pay & micro aggressions prevail ; HR complicit and finance sucks

Mar 18, 2021 - Vice President in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travel, when we had it.

Cons

APCO’s talk about inclusion and empathy and diversity is just that — talk, cheap talk. Cheap af. It is a profoundly inequitable place. All the real money is doled out to this or that favored person. The process is unjust and leads to disparities — not just of money but also opportunity. What’s amusing but not funny: the ones that make comp decisions are the just the ones have the least visibility and knowledge into an employee’s ability or contribution. It’s a know-nothing cabal that goes behind some black curtain to make decisions based on how you are “perceived” or your “reputation” or the “optics” — everything but the actual hard work you do. Subjective af. Seriously, there are no KPIs or actual metrics, it’s just their feelings, if you are “liked”. And HR just goes along with it like a pliant little puppy dog. No leadership, no backbone, no morals. Also this: the greed at the top is limitless. They always want more money for themselves, more options, more stock. Forever they point to their empty glasses and say, more more more. They will say proudly that they took a payout during the early days of the pandemic but then not say a word about how they got it all back and then some for their “sacrifice.“ There are all sorts of hidden deals and incentives and plans that no one knows about. There is no transparency and NO accountability. One overseas MD is rumored to do APCO business with a company he has a stake in. They do not hold people to any consistent standard. HR did a “study” of pay parity last year with great fanfare. It was a joke. It did not take into account the stock part of compensation and their explanations on why they didn’t use averages, etc., were laughably weak. The fact is that the mostly black and Latinx operations team is underpaid versus the mostly white project team for which “market” data is used. The back office operations teams are basically are paid whatever is leftover, and that’s been going on for years and years. The pay equity person left after saying that no market data was used for operations. We call on APCO to publicly release the pay reports it gives to the government all over the world. If there is nothing to hide... Yesterday they announced that a black organization, whose founder was a descendant of slaves, hired APCO. The subtext was, look how progressive we are. But that’s not what everyone took away. What everyone took away was, how stupid do you think we are? You think you can play us? It’s not your words, APCO, it’s your deeds. You’re still using the old playbook. This time, finally, it’s not about ... the message. I know that surprises you. A few more things. HR is as bad as everyone on here says. It’s a revolving door of endless screw ups, this one more clueless than that one. Finance leadership is in the same boat. The financial system they set up is actually worse than the godawful one it replaced. No one has any confidence in finance or their numbers and getting them to do anything at all, let alone well, is bloody murder. All secrets and lies.

10 people found this review helpful

APCO Worldwide Response

President, North America

Your feedback is concerning to me. On Tuesday, we shared in a North America townhall our progress on commitments that we’re making to diversity, equity and inclusion. I am proud of our efforts and recognize that there is more to do. I am saddened by your comments because they are the opposite of the company I have known for more than 20 years. I would truly welcome the opportunity to have a conversation about the many issues you raised. Please reach out to me directly and let’s talk.

3. The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

3y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

6,874

601 Comments

Join the conversation on
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Creativity, Energy, and Drive are Rewarded -- But so is Hard Work, Team Play, and Diligence

May 11, 2011 - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

There isn't another public affairs/public relations firm in the world that is as open to doing new things if a project demands it. The place is collaborative within offices and globally among offices. The international network is probably unique. The range of work is extraordinary, and the clients include major global firms facing major issues, governments, and non-profits, and mostly on things that matter. The people enjoy one another's company, and colleagial brain-storming is constant. The people are intelligent and dynamic, and those who are mid-level and senior typically come with a range of previous experiences that provide a broad range of skills and knowledge to a problem, and make the work more fun. The younger staff at APCO are at least as highly-motivated and energetic as the more senior ones, and are likely over a relatively brief time to have the opportunity to take charge in ways that stimulate their professional growth.

Cons

APCO is an employee-owned, privately held business, which has positive aspects, and some negative ones. The latter boil down to the fact that the management and management systems still face growing pains, they are not as developed as they would be in a large, publicly traded company. This is especially evident in some of APCO's smaller offices, both in the US and overseas. Recent emphasis on profit-and-loss by individual offices creates the risk of making people reluctant to share across offices even when sharing is in the best interests of hte client. This has to be addressed or it could become a real problem. Some offices are not yet as strong as they need to be in terms of their breadth of services and number of clients. Management does know which these are and is working to fix it.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Place in Turmoil

Mar 14, 2017 - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of promises, but few deliverables.

Cons

Never sure who is in charge and making decisions. Lot's of hoopla without the beef. No upward mobility. Constant revolving door.

7 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Vice President

Sep 2, 2016 - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people - great clients - good benefits - lots of locations

Cons

Lots of work...and clients expect round the clock care

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 English Reviews