API Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Robert Tavares

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "We are seeing results from all the work!"

Current Employee - Middle Management in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in State College, PA

I have been working at API Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It has been an arduous process, however we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and netting results.

Cons

Some people gave up before the ship turned.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people and trust our opinions.

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Our dedication to improving is, in my opinion, what sets us apart. Thanks for your feedback!

2. "Avoid the Pain - Check for Fit (See Advice to Mgt. below)"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Delmar, MD
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Delmar, MD

I worked at API Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people
    Friendly, supportive coworkers
    Knowledgeable

Cons

Nothing else matters if you are not a good fit for the communiation style of your boss!
    (Read all comments in section below, Advice to Management.)

Advice to Management

Get the hiring manager invested in the hiring process, assuming greater responsibility for the risks. Have him spend time in person with potential candidates in an informal environment, and plant tour discussing the role and expectations of the position. Repeat. Repeat again, include other key people. (45 min. in a conference room 1X is not enough) Shorten the time between initial interview and start date.

Once hired, commit to your decision and fully support the new employee. Be considerate and compassionate in your use of "at will" employment policies or the company will be unable to get and retain the talent they desire. Treat your employees with respect, train, encourage and reward innovation and process improvement. Build successful teams through empowerment and encouragement, not fear.

Until significant changes are made, future employees would be wise to read the above comments and assess their own fit to their future boss'. Be advised that once hired the following may not be enough to keep the job long: recognized progress on the job, a reputation of prior success in the same role in other organizations, great recommendations and ongoing support of coworkers locally and beyond.

-Lesson Learned the Hard Way

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a culture of trust and respect where we do encourage and reward innovation and process improvement. I'm disappointed to hear about some of... More

3. "Great people"

Former Employee - Sales in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Edison, NJ

I worked at API Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good people
    - Local management was accessible and easy to work with
    - flexible hours in so much as management would work with you if you had an outside appointment

Cons

- No room for career advancement
    - Corporate HQ didn't provide direction for division future
    - Too few people to accomplish everything that needed to be done

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We do have great people! "Great people make great products." Thank you for your feedback. We did increase our headcount this year to help our teams. We are working to develop more... More

4. "Don't bother unless you are desperate"

Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Fairview, PA
    Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Fairview, PA

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fine, but your bond is mostly over how boring and repetitive the work is. They don't provide great training for people and expect you to get an immense amount of work done in a week. For me, this was fine because I ended up being the fastest one in the department and could do all of the tasks and fill in when someone was out, but this also meant I picked up the slack for a lot of people (I honestly didn't mind from a personal standpoint, because I felt bad for the people struggling to get work done well). The work is easy and I listened to a LOT of audiobooks during the short time I was there. Benefits were fine, but premiums were a joke. They're so unbelievably cheap.

Cons

I know someone who has worked there for decades (when it was still Spectrum Control) and there is a clear line of favoritism (actually, it might be fear) and taking advantage of certain employees. The person I know has been plopped in basically every department within this company and knows how to do just about everything that doesn't require an engineering degree. I noticed a severe decline after API bought Spectrum and they are almost always operating at a deficit or a cut off from money and parts coming in because they can never finish anything on time. The breaks are also a joke. You get a 10 minute break in the morning, and a 20 minute lunch. By the time you walk across the building to the break room/dining area half of you break or lunch is gone. It's pretty pathetic. They can't even hire someone to man the front desk when the secretary is out so they put random employees on "desk duty" and waste their time by taking them away from their actual work.

Advice to Management

Hire better people, treat those people better and you will retain the employees that actually get work done in a timely and proper manner. This is a very blue collar community and this is honestly not a place anyone WANTS to work, but at least make it bearable for them. Also, I know this would probably wipe out half the workforce at this particular location, but for god's sake, drug test your employees--they're working on government contracted parts and devices. Some of the people I knew working there should NOT have been hired for the jobs they were doing.

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We continuously look for ways to hire and retain the best employees. We are conducting pre-employment drug screens and just implemented a random drug screen program. I appreciate your feedback. I... More

5. "They don't care about staff well being"

Former Employee - Materials Engineer in Great Yarmouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Materials Engineer in Great Yarmouth, England (UK)

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

33 days holiday (including bank hols),
    13:30 finish on Fridays,
    The job is interesting,
    I was able to learn a lot in my time there.

Cons

Manipulative managers,
    Bullying and blame culture,
    HR too afraid to help employees,
    Policies are meaningless as they are full of contradictions, poor wording is used to make it possible for the employer to screw over the employee,
    Poor location for anyone not from Norfolk,
    Aging workforce makes socialising with colleagues out side of work difficult

Advice to Management

The management structure needs to be looked at closely - middle managers are 'YES MEN' that are hired by the senior management, who are 'YES MEN' to their superiors, and so nothing changes.
    Middle managers, manage with bullying tactics, and their managers bully them. The staff are demotivated and miserable because of it - this needs to change!
    The policies also need to be tightened up so that everyone knows where they stand, and no one ends up hurt/ disappointed/ screwed over

"Losing Hope - No Improvement In Sight"

Current Employee - Unspecified in Fairview, PA
    Current Employee - Unspecified in Fairview, PA

I have been working at API Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and potentially good products.

Cons

Very shoddy resources with no apparent will to improve. Some talk but little action to update equipment, infrastructure, facilities. Everything is patched together. (Yet another) new management has the "Do More With Less" delusion despite the fact that all resources and personnel are already stretched to the limit. Stress level is high in all areas.

You may get hired for a specific job, but you will almost certainly be saddled with other responsibilities outside of your area. Competent, more capable employees are expected to compensate for less capable. Employees who retire or quit are often not replaced, and their duties are redistributed. Morale has gone from bad to worse. Long-time employees are just hanging on waiting for retirement.

Work here only if you are desperate.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They don't listen. Information is top-down only.

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Leader

We have started conducting pulse survey's and are seeking employee feedback to make changes. I am reviewing every response. Thank you for your feedback and give us a chance to make improvements... More

7. "......"

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent health care standard holidays

Cons

Have over the top video communication stated it was to be quarterly. More like one and done. Very top heavy management structure.

"STOP, Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Wire Bonder in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Wire Bonder in Marlborough, MA

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends there. Hardworking people on the floor earning the company its profits!

Cons

Poor Management! Don't know anything about successfully managing a business except pushing people to make the numbers! The floor support is left with archaic equipment, mickey mouse fixes to faulty equipment because they don't have the funds to get the issue fixed. Part shortages because they don't pay their vendors! Management tries to intimidate people on the floor and in one example they would literally stand behind a worker as they tried to do their job to ensure they don't speak to one another all the while making that poor older person nervous. What kind of a manager/Supervisor would do this! -API- It's like they have no experience working anywhere else and feel as though this is acceptable/ normal behavior. The manager walks down the hall and avoids eye contact with you, Never "Have a nice Holiday, thank you for your hard work and dedication. Lousiest benefits I've ever seen! .25 to your dollar for 401K "what an insult" once again that's how they show their appreciation .I think I've said enough.

Advice to Management

Quit! Your toxic to the success of the company. Realize those people on the floor is the heart of the company so reward them and treat them respectfully.

"Quality Specialist"

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at API Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Freedom to complete my work in my personal way
    Opportunity to learn without any "help or training" from management.

Cons

Previous company was acquired by api, and provided very little in way of support from upper management. Now in final weeks before they are closing down our location.

Advice to Management

When problems or issues arise, deal with it immediately and don't wait for it to become an even greater problem.

10. "Good things to come...."

I have been working at API Technologies full-time

Pros

The company runs leans so there are lots of ways to gain additional experience or responsibilities if you ask for them. There are lots of ways to make a positive impact if you are someone who is motivated to add skills and experience. Management cares about the employees and they work hard behind the scenes to do what they can to make the work environment better.

Cons

Business has been tough the past year or two in part due to the industry and in part due to business practices from past leadership. The new CEO and management team are taking the right steps to turn things around. It will take time so pay and benefits aren't as competitive to bigger companies.