APN News Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gavin K. O'Reilly

1. "A good place to work, but not a lot of growth opportunities"

I worked at APN News (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are (generally) great. It's fun working in a news room with people who live and breath what's going on in the world. And because of the fact you have to be multi-skilled means that you can learn a lot of different things in the one role. The holidays are good too in you get the six weeks a year deal for working in editorial. And the hours are generally pretty flexible. Overall it's not a bad place to work and grow your skills.

Cons

APN has got it's fair share of egotistical editors with bizarre taste in what constitutes news and ad reps who don't respect journalism. Oh and the money -- do not go work for APN expecting to be paid well or even fairly. Interns are used up and spit out, experienced workers are pushed out because they cost too much, and anyone who is on a good salary is probably in management or got in before the industry started taking a nose-dive. Annual reviews? Nope. Opportunities to progress? None. Again, there's worse places to work, but know what you're in for.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth and stop investing in managers to manage other managers. And don't be afraid to weed out some of the less useful people. It's frustrating not just for myself but for the the hardworking people around me who know they can't move up but can name a few lazy (and sleazy) employees who need to go. And it's not all about the money, even just more formal recognition for people to add to their CVs would be good.

2. "Good work life balance"

Former Employee - Advertising Production in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Advertising Production in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at APN News full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally nice colleagues. Typically 9 to 5 so good place to work if you have family commitments.

Cons

Some inexperienced middle management. Not many initiatives or scope to improve, once you know your job you just stay there.

3. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at APN News (Less than a year)

Pros

It was like a family with all staff getting on really well, there were no ego's. Definitely a work hard play hard environment where you will get rewards

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons, had a great time and loved all the people

Advice to Management

Great place to work with a mixture of fantastic people. Management are an absolute joy. Would recommend APN to anyone!

5. "Reporter"

I worked at APN News full-time

Pros

Some great staff members and good opportunities for training.

Cons

Not great pay. Bullying and harassment was not dealt with properly. Individuals who were clearly unwell (mentally) allowed to stay and keep poisoning the work environment.

Advice to Management

Better pay structure to keep hard working staff. HR must do something about workplace bullying and harassment. Just because someone has been in a newsroom for a few years does not mean they should stay - especially when they are toxic.

6. "BDM GrabOne - Was great for a BDM role, not a lot of progression"

I worked at APN News full-time

Pros

Good earning, exciting company to grow with and establish a great network of clients

Cons

Little to no progression provided outside of HQ, no ongoing training to keep you fresh

7. "Interesting place..."

Former Employee - Developer in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Developer in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at APN News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with was pretty good. Any hardware or tools you needed to do your job were provided as requested. The kitchen always had freshly brewed coffee and places in the area to eat and drink were pretty good, so you would always venture out and get something different.

Cons

Career advancement opportunities here were non-existent. I knew I was not going to be here forever, because of the way the organisation works and the bureaucracy of management and the politics in play, I knew getting higher up the chain was going to be hard. They acknowledged people, but many (myself included) would not be thanked or singled-out for doing a good job in favour of people who were there longer and not necessarily better. Lack of training (no matter how vocal you are).

The salary was also pretty non competitive. For my skill level, I should have been on at least an extra 25k on what I was being paid. The news industry is in the toilet and APN's News arm is undoubtedly trying to pay as little as possible which for some in expensive areas, can be hard to accept.

Advice to Management

Offer better training to your employees. Also implement processes for career advancement and mitigate political interference from those who deliberately hamper and block employees from progressing through the organisation. The people I worked with were smart and by the time I left, I counted 4 people who also left in that time for better salaries, career advancement opportunities and work environments.

8. "Great job ruined by stale leadership and low morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at APN News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good variety of work, reasonable autonomy

Cons

Limited resources, culture of downsizing, low morale, poor leadership in my division/stale leadership

Advice to Management

Better scrutiny of isolated business units (long-serving GM used my unit as her personal kingdom, with no repercussions), more emphasis on content/news, embrace new ideas instead of trying to cut costs.

"Soul destroying"

Former Employee - Journalist
    Former Employee - Journalist

I worked at APN News full-time

Pros

Good if you are looking to get a foot in the door and build a portfolio.

Cons

I was constantly frustrated by management and lack of support. While the journalists I worked with were great, I saw them drained of enthusiasm and become disillusioned due to poor communication from management and from gestures or promises of support that came to nothing. There was talk about skill and career development but very little was actually done. Expectations were high but minimal scaffolding was provided. Six month reviews were done just to tick the box and anyone who voiced concerns were considered to be rocking the boat. I felt that the company thought that there are more journalists than jobs, so it was easier to replace the person rather than try to fix the problem. Disillusionment ran high in the office and people talked about wanting to leave, some did quit not just the job and also the industry. Broaching the topic with burnout with management lead to them becoming defensive and then sticking their heads in the sand.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people; they are assets not burdens. Put middle management through leadership and communication courses. Being a boss is easy, it's a title, being a leader and bringing out the best in people is a skill (one that is missing in many sites).

10. "I really enjoyed working here. Wonderful people, decent salary"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Inbound in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at APN News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked directly with we're great. The bonuses when I was there were quite good, one month I earnt an additional $900. (My salary was after tax about $660) so I was very pleased with that!

Cons

At the time the company wouldn't pay for a Christmas party or anything Iike that.

"Can I choose zero stars?"

I have been working at APN News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work alongside are amazing and had great futures ahead of them.

Cons

Being crushed by the gross mismanagement of the teams. Little to no respect for employees. Yearly review? Been there 7 years and have had 2, and there is supposed to be a follow up every 6 months also. APN dishes out more broken promises than Tony Abbotts political campaign. All talk no action. I watch people who inspired me, become deflated unmotivated and severely depressed about their future.

Forget about career progression, you'll be doing the same thing after 7!years after day01. And they will keep postponing your "yearly pay increase" by 6 months so in 2 years you may only get one increase... Of 1%

Do not believe their lies, get out while you can!

Advice to Management

Take some responsibility and do what you are paid to do. Address the issues, tackle the big problems and maybe you'll have better staff retention.