APR Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great business model, unconventional working culture"

I worked at APR Energy full-time

Pros

The product and service we provide change lives. Supplying large-scale mobile power solutions all around the world is exciting work. Results of our work is immediate, keeping the lights on after emergency situations or to sustain the pace of development in emerging markets.

Cons

The fast-track business model and the nature of each particular project make it hard to establish and follow processes. APR is always reinventing itself. High turnovers of employees. People love or hate working at APR for the same reason: the chaos.

2. "Haters Gonna Hate"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

APR Energy is an organization that embodies a spirit of relentless entrepreneurial creativity and lives the ‘get it done’ attitude. The organization has successfully attracted great talent at all levels of the business and I could not have been more pleased with my experience there. This Jacksonville, FL based company provides power to countless people around the globe and does so in a way that not only provides financial stability for its employees and their families but partners with local manufacturers and suppliers at project sites to act as a catalyst for local economic growth and business partnership. Throughout the installation, operation and even demobilization of an APR Energy power plant, there is also a significant focus on the training and education of locally hired resources on state of the art enterprise planning and analytical software platforms not to mention the technical aspects of a gas turbine or diesel generator plant. This is the perfect environment for hungry, high performing professionals who want to advance their careers and positively impact scores of people at the same time.

-The CEO - He is a brilliant strategist and innovator who thinks about his employees as people and not just line items on his P&L. Phenomenal leader who isn't afraid to get into the weeds and help solve problems.
    -Very competitive compensation packages.
    -Cultural diversity - It wasn’t uncommon to have conference calls with China in the morning, a lunch conference with West Africa, and a plant touch base with someone in Southeast Asia on my drive home.
    -Opportunity for the practical application of international business practices.
    -Promotions and increases in responsibility are based on performance and capability…not time in service!!!
    -The group of people who truly care about the success of the organization and the customers it serves are dedicated professionals.

Cons

Let's start by addressing the obviously disgruntled employees and creators of previous company reviews… many of whom would be considered ‘Cons’.
    -Yes, management has changed a couple of times in recent years but for the better. The current structure has significantly more operational and leadership experience than in years past.
    -Yes, employees at APR enjoy competitive compensation. The organizations value proposition is speed to market which means it takes significant time and resources to plan, design, ship, construct, and deconstruct multi-million dollar power plants in all corners of the world within 90 days of contract signature... So I would hope people are being compensated equitably.
    -Yes, the organization previously had subpar personnel policies. Current HR leadership is outstanding and clearly champions employee development. APR currently has the best continuing education program I’ve seen in any organization; a change that was actioned by the CEO immediately after learning that employees were unhappy with the old policy. He did the same for maternity/paternity policies among others.

Advice to Management

-First, cut the fat. This is a high intensity, hard deadline organization that doesn’t have room for the, 'I want to get paid more but work less' mentality. Teams operating in the field for weeks and sometimes months on end need dedicated support and the corporate performers don’t need the extra weight.
    -Second, instill accountability with process. The more you can standardize processes, the more repeatable, sustainable, and scalable they will become.
    -Third, integrate more plant level leaders with the corporate staff and create internal best practices teams to record, test, and implement changes that advance the organization.

"Mass layoff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this place, lies after lies. It allow you to appreciate your old job

Cons

Mass layout: 40 people in 2014, 20 people in 2015, 27 people in 2016, 18 on 11-14-2017

Advice to Management

This is not a military camp. Learn what about power generation then come back

4. "Stephen Mlilo CV"

Current Employee - Finance Coordinator/Cost Accounting in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Finance Coordinator/Cost Accounting in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy (More than 8 years)

Pros

New challenges with each day, Ownership of your Job and results Based on your capabilities, working with no supervision but managing to fulfill deliverable as set by standards.

Cons

No support structure from head office.

"Best-Worst Company in Jax"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of free lunches, decent benifits and highly salary than most other local businesses in Jax

Cons

Meetings, too many YES men, not as productive as it could be

"Liars!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good staff. Does good things for countries without power.

Cons

Management is a joke. They are ego driven and have no sense of reality for the tasks that have to be performed. They can't manage money to save their lives, as proven by the fact that they are losing money on contracts that they've just signed. Focus is on show and nothing else. There is no consistency to any decision and certainly no strategic plan for the company. Leadership does not have the capacity to understand how a company is to be operated. It is being dissected to be sold so that the "investors" make their money at the expense of the staff.

Advice to Management

Grow a set! Bring in a team with a proven track record for turning companies into streamlined and viable money making machines. Stop waving the flag of look at me and do what you say you are going to do. Don't lie to the very people that got you there.

"Poor Decision"

Pros

Good benefits and international focus.

Cons

Instability in business cycles create instability for employees.

"Just a glimpse inside the world of APR Energy"

Former Employee - Accounting in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

- FREE beverages in big kitchen

Cons

Despite the bad reviews I read, I gave APR the benefit of the doubt. They are competitive in their market and have a solid vision, however their foundation is unstable. Here's a list of what I noticed at APR:

- Just now trying to establish solid policies and procedure. What have they been doing all these years?)
    -Failed audit last year (I can see why!)
    - Recent financial and company restructure resulting in layoffs, hiring freezes and long term temp employees.
    - Low moral
    - Lack of communication

Advice to Management

John Campion's motivational speeches were awesome. Either he was genuine or he is an amazing salesman, because I still believe his vision. However, it needs to be implemented from the top down otherwise you will get the same result. Hire and promote from within, literally. I am pretty sure he will lead the sales force to more contracts, but hopefully the company doesn't fold internally in the mean time.

"Turning a Corner - Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

- I love what we do. We turn on the lights for people who've never had electricity. That's pretty neat.
    - Our founders (now CEO and Chairman) are ex-roadies and regular guys, but really smart entrepreneurs. They are approachable and honest.
    - The people are great. It's a small company and most of us know and like each other. Halloween and the Christmas party are a lot of fun, as are our other company events and outings.
    - Because we are a small company, the opportunity to stand out and make an impact is there with almost everything you do.
    - It's a casual atmosphere, when it needs to be. You won't find many suits or buzzwords at APR, but when one of our plants needs to be put into operation quickly, we're the most serious and high performing bunch you'll ever find.

Cons

- There were a few bad eggs that hurt the culture of the company for a while, but most are gone now. There's still some recovery happening in some departments.
    - A focus on stock market fluctuation and our privatization transaction have taken a lot of management's time over the past year. With the deal done there is now more time to focus on culture and strategic vision, both of which are priorities for management. That's all great news, but we're at the beginning of that newfound focus, so it'll take some time to get to where we want to be.
    - Work/life balance has been an issue in the past, but something that management is very focused on changing. It's been significantly better over the past several months. There are absolutely "busy times" when everyone is working hard to get a deal done or a site started, but management is much better about making the times in between those busy events much more manageable with regular hours and time off early, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to have honest conversations and Q&A sessions with small groups of employees. Hearing from you and having our voices heard and questions answered goes a long way. Make sure that the focus on culture that is coming from the Chairman and CEO trickles down to management at all levels, and don't hesitate to show the door to those who aren't focused on making APR a great company *and* a great place to work.

"Interesting International Company with Abusive and Incompetent Management"

I worked at APR Energy full-time

Pros

Good exposure to international projects. Many culturally diverse and intelligent co-workers who are great to work with. Salary tends to be on the higher side. Owners seem like competent and decent people, but one has to question why they allow certain behavior from management.

Cons

Several executives below the owners appear to be unstable (cursing, screaming, slamming doors, throwing objects), incompetent and shady. I agree with other reviews which mention that these executives will promptly terminate employees who do not fear them. They use fear tactics and threats to cover up their incompetence, including emotional and psychological abuse. If an employee questions why they're doing something a certain way (which may be either incorrect or unethical), that employee is terminated shortly after these executives create a false negative and damaging portrayal of the employee for the files. The HR and Legal Departments appear to be toxic and dysfunctional. There is a high turnover, whether voluntary or otherwise, and training is almost non-existent because the heads of these departments do not appear to understand some of the job functions beneath them. They outsource much of their own responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to senior management. They are destroying employee morale and damaging the company's reputation. Request 360 reviews of these managers to get an accurate account of what employees think about them. People are afraid to be candid due to fear of bullying and/or termination.