AQR Capital Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 27, 2019

3.7
Cliff Asness, Ph.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "stable job with good work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Extremely smart people and high standards which definitely helped me grow a ton as a Software Engineer" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be hard, you don’t care about entry level guys, they hire entry level guys only for working not for growing" (in 5 reviews)

• "Long hours, will be doing marketing work when first start out" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Super smart, good people."

Current Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at AQR for almost 6 years and it's my 4th full time job in my career, so I have some perspective. Frankly I'd love to retire here.

1. The culture at AQR is unlike anywhere else in that people are brilliantly smart across the board. Street-smart, book-smart, you name it. That said they don't show off about it or try to one up eachother. The goal is to get work done the best way possible and work as a team to get there. People who don’t fit this mold (jerks / slackers) actually leave pretty quickly.

2. The company is open to finding the right spot for you. I've been on the Portfolio Management and Business Development teams and had similarly excellent experiences in both. The company was very open to the move.

3. More than anywhere that I know, the company reinforces education. There are programs designed to constantly teach employees new concepts / ways of thinking. Speakers are both internal and external. Moreover, employees share this mindset and I've often been pulled into a room with a whiteboard to walk through ideas, well above and beyond what was the minimum requirement. It feels like the mindset is that if everyone is constantly learning and sharing, we'll all be better off.

4. This sounds cliché (similar to the culture point… I swear it’s true), but they really encourage entrepreneurial drive. Like any company, you can’t run with whatever comes to mind, but if you’ve proven yourself, have an interesting way of running a process or even have a major project that you need resources for, they will hear you out. If they like it they will absolutely support you on it.

Cons

1. The commute for people living in NYC is tough. Luckily the offices are in the parking lot of the train station and if you like reading, you've been gifted 1.5hrs of quiet reading time every day.

2. The most senior people are not at an age where they will likely retire any time soon, so upward mobility is likely dependent on continued growth.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the unique culture, despite the growth.

"Successful Company; Smart, & Genuine People; Strong Emphasis on Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AQR truly cares about their employees
    - focused effort on internal mobility opportunities
    - great place to work for women; flexible work arrangements can be sorted out, great maternity leave policy (recently updated)
    - terrific benefits package
     - access to a plethera of resources/training to all employees
    - several networking opportunities/clubs/philanthropic opportunities

Senior leaders are down to earth and genuine compared to other companies I have worked out
    Colloborative environment filled with incredibly intelligent people always will ing to help out at all levels

Cons

- recent explosion of employees has resulted in a number of space renovations causing employees to move to temporary spaces
    - need to improve interview process; streamlining who does interviews and focus on quality candidate experience

Advice to Management

Ensure we continue to hold true to our values as we continue to grow (balance the need for more structure with excessive bureaucracy).

"Great place to work, mostly"

Current Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, Corp environment. You will work with a lot of smart folks.

Cons

Poor mid tier managers, especially on Technology

Advice to Management

Overall company msg and themes are great, but only as good as those who implement it

"Good Name on the Resume, leverage it"

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

-Good Benefits (Snacks, H/C, Outings)
    -Some Good People
    -Decent W/L Balance
    -Culture (dependent on the group)
    -Industry Leading Products/Experience

Cons

Peculiar Y/E bonus formula. Some of the long-tenured managers are clueless/useless. Best days seem behind the firm (from an employee standpoint) and the comp has taken a dive. Mid-Level Managers are desperate to hold on to their cushy seats which leads to politics/blame game. Overlevered funds took a hit so they lay-off all the people who are not politically connected.

Advice to Management

Why bother. The company has made a conscious decision to become what it is and there is no going back now. Letting go of some of your most respected/well-liked employees isn't going to help morale. The exodus has already begun.

"Poor mentoring"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

Free breakfast, 401K match 10K

Cons

Low salary, poor mentoring, lack of willingness/ interest to promote, POOR TECHNOLOGY, software developer clusterf*ck

6. "good"

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

good work culttue + sleep

Cons

no sleep in office allowed

"All about AUM"

I worked at AQR Capital Management (More than a year)

Pros

AUM is the only thing that matters a AQR. There is a lot of brilliant staff in research and portfolio management.

Cons

Doesn't really matter though, the rest of the support staff is irrelevant to them. Tell them a new strat will lose them 50mm in two months? They dont give a crap. Investors that are looking for long term returns are expecting some losses on what they are dumping in AQR trash. The firm is cashing in on that.

Advice to Management

No one is concerned about actual risk, and it's the most hostile workplace I've ever seen.

"Analyst"

I worked at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

Great company with great people

Cons

Growing fast and disorganized at times.

9. "Great learning experience and interesting people"

Pros

senior team members are invested in younger people

Cons

can get a bit repetitive

"Amazing benefits and pay ... but at a price"

Former Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT

I worked at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are absolutely class A. Free healthcare, gym and phone reimbursement, lunch is paid for and pay packages are stellar.

Cons

Stifling. If you want to be told what to do everyday and never able to voice a different opinion then this is the place for you. The founders dreams and core values are lost by power hungry and closed-minded principles. The lack of diversity and diversity of thought will be their own demise.

Advice to Management

Encourage leadership from the most junior of staff. Stop focusing on perception and status and instead look towards the bigger picture and innovate for the future. Open your minds. There is more than one type of person out there who is valuable and it is a beautiful thing.