ARINC Reviews in Annapolis, MD | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ARINC Chairman and CEO John M. Belcher
John M. Belcher

Pros
  • Good benefits and vacation gets up to 6 weeks for long timers (in 7 reviews)

• great company and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Nepotism throughout upper management (in 4 reviews)

• mostly related to airport infrastructure so might no be very useful (in 2 reviews)

1. "Ok Company to Work For. Depends in what department you are working in."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD

Pros

People are friendly and helpful

Cons

No personal growth, company politics, low salary

2. "Great staff, poor leadership from vps & CEO"

Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get exposure to latest technology. Has okay benefits. A good stepping stone to a better opportunity.

Cons

Constant infighting among higher level executives. Not truthful about future of company to employees.

Advice to Management

Youn would not listen if I gave it.

3. "It's time for some management changes"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Commuting can be very pleasant if you live on this side of MD. Some departments are better to work in. At least so I'm told.

2) Flexible hours. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS)

Cons

ARINC is currently waiting for a buyer, and it seems like the only employees that are hanging around are the ones that were just hired and/or the ones that still draw a pension. Here is what I observed in my time there:

1) Nepotism - : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
    This is ramped at ARINC. You will most likely not have a good career advancement due to this practice. Many employees (family members) are getting positions they are not qualified for. It has completely undermined the moral.

2) Signs of Corporate Pathology? - I've found that many (expensive) decisions are made based on private personal agendas no matter if it's good for the company or not. In my department as an example, the clients weren't even consulted on buy in for major changes to make sure they were ok with the ongoing cost.

3) Work Place Diversity - I also noticed there are VERY FEW minorities in leadership roles. I have not seen this to this extent in other work environments. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

4) No Management Meetings - The employees NEVER get updates with management on what's going on. No management meetings with the employees, performance goals and bonus have diminished to non-existent for those that are on the front line and are reserved for the middle to upper managers.

5) Uneven Workload - I frequently ran into situations where there is one employee that is doing the majority of the work in their departments. When that employee is out, there are severe gaps in the productivity due to the single threaded nature of the organization.

6) Frequent re-organizations - It seems to be about 1 to 2 re-orgs per year. The entire department anxiously awaits to see who your new boss will be for that part of the year to see how your ongoing projects are affected.

Advice to Management

Properly train the staff OR hire competent managers to lead the organization's department. I'd most likely favor the latter. Stop the nepotism. It's really tearing the company apart. It's no secret that investing in good people will take the company further in the long run. ARINC seems to not understand that, or just plain doesn't care anymore! Many of the CONS has grown from inexperienced management.

5. "Going Downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Promotes Diversity
    -Encourages Work/Life Balance with Alternate Work Schedule (if manager approves). Which allows you to work longer days and have every other Friday off
    -Flexible start time

Cons

-Company is up for sale so future is unknown
    -Layoffs have occurred in the past year
    -Employee Holiday party cancelled
    -Benefits used to be good but not anymore
    -Advancement based on who you know

6. "Treated well, but career options limited"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Positive work environment. Frequent paid lunches for accomplishments. Many "lifers" with a commitment to the company. Mostly a good group of people who want to work together.

Cons

Poor salary and raises. Bad communication from top management about changes in the company. Almost all discussions from management focus around EBITDA. Career advancement is limited and depending on which department you end up, there is limited growth in your own knowledge and expertise.

Advice to Management

Quit the EBITDA thing. Communication to the lower eschalons should focus on more than money. Many people are loyal only because they've been there so long, you need to be able to keep new blood.