ARINC Reviews | Glassdoor

ARINC Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great company and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, most mid-level management is of good quality, even after the acquisition by RC in 2014 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Nepotism throughout upper management (in 4 reviews)

• mostly related to airport infrastructure so might no be very useful (in 2 reviews)

1. "I loved working for ARINC"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission was important, the work significant, and opportunities to try different departments was encouraged.

Cons

The sense of community that existed dissipated with the many lay-offs.

2. "Excellent Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair compensation, flexible work schedule, good 401k match, generous vacation accrual policy, above average opportunities for advancement

Cons

Job Insecurity, inequitable benefits for employees, low salary increases

3. "A good experience so far barring management incompetence and too much process oriented culture."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Teams are generally very supportive. For any technical or aviation related questions there are a lot of people who are happy to help and answer any question.
    2. As a software developer one learns a lot about aviation and how to solve aviation problems. A lot of thought goes behind any product and software developers are an integral part of that. In essence, a software developer's work is greatly appreciated.
    3. Developers are allowed to spend 20% of their time every week on interesting projects which they feel can be important to the company.

Cons

1. Management doesn't bother to solve the problems faced by the teams many times. Sometimes the problems are not addressed in time and hence leads to low morale and exodus of talented engineers.
    2. The environment in some of the company's divisions is structured around military values and hence there is less flexibility and transparency. Suggestions by some of the young employees aren't always implemented or considered. Major areas include no jeans policy(strict dress code), no gym facilities/game rooms(for recreation) etc.
    3. There's too much process oriented culture which makes it harder and longer to implement good projects. Because of this it leads to frustration in the team and competitive advantage is lost.

Advice to Management

Introduce some measures which leads to better work culture such as gym facilities, flexible time and dress code policy. Listen to the problems of the employees which will help in talent retention.

4. "nice co-workers, horrid bosses and management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some very nice people, and made a couple of friends that will be friends for life.

Cons

the management lies, HR lies, some of the people are just horrid, and oh, by the way, the good old boy network is the ONLY way to move up in the company. If you aren't part of their little clique, forget it. If you are, who cares if you are qualified for the job! Pass over the qualified people, and give the job to the pet. I have never seen such a thing in a large company. In a small family company, sure, you can get away with that, but in a large corporation, there are supposed to be rules against that.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incompetent managers. Pay attention when problems are brought to your attention - don't fire the people that tell you about it and hope the problem goes away.

5. "Great staff, poor leadership from vps & CEO"

Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Department Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to get exposure to latest technology. Has okay benefits. A good stepping stone to a better opportunity.

Cons

Constant infighting among higher level executives. Not truthful about future of company to employees.

Advice to Management

Youn would not listen if I gave it.

6. "Overall, I enjoy my work at ARINC."

Current Employee - Project Controller in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Project Controller in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ARINC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning environment, competitive jobs, room for advancement

Cons

Not many corporate benefits but nothing major

Advice to Management

Take some time to visit with employees of all levels to see how the cultar affects everyone.

7. "Sell Out"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job, and in this day and age, that's important

Cons

Toxic environment where the good old boys are just waiting for the company sale and their chance to cash out. Senior management at this company - if you want to call them that, is a complete clown show. This is the most poorly managed large company I have ever been associated with. Everything has been reduced to money today, and the future and the employees have been mortgaged for the gain of the few at the top. Meanwhile, projects and departments are going to hell and they are trying to hold things together until they can sell the company and unload the shambles of this turd on the next guy. At that point the clean-up and rehabilitation will hopefully begin. Just about anyone worth their salt has left or is trying to leave. My advice would be to stay away until the situation is clearer once the new owner is announced. Then things can get better or worse.

Advice to Management

Move on, you owe your employees better. Let someone come in that actually cares about the people and the future of the business.

8. "It's time for some management changes"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at ARINC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Commuting can be very pleasant if you live on this side of MD. Some departments are better to work in. At least so I'm told.

2) Flexible hours. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS)

Cons

ARINC is currently waiting for a buyer, and it seems like the only employees that are hanging around are the ones that were just hired and/or the ones that still draw a pension. Here is what I observed in my time there:

1) Nepotism - : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
    This is ramped at ARINC. You will most likely not have a good career advancement due to this practice. Many employees (family members) are getting positions they are not qualified for. It has completely undermined the moral.

2) Signs of Corporate Pathology? - I've found that many (expensive) decisions are made based on private personal agendas no matter if it's good for the company or not. In my department as an example, the clients weren't even consulted on buy in for major changes to make sure they were ok with the ongoing cost.

3) Work Place Diversity - I also noticed there are VERY FEW minorities in leadership roles. I have not seen this to this extent in other work environments. I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

4) No Management Meetings - The employees NEVER get updates with management on what's going on. No management meetings with the employees, performance goals and bonus have diminished to non-existent for those that are on the front line and are reserved for the middle to upper managers.

5) Uneven Workload - I frequently ran into situations where there is one employee that is doing the majority of the work in their departments. When that employee is out, there are severe gaps in the productivity due to the single threaded nature of the organization.

6) Frequent re-organizations - It seems to be about 1 to 2 re-orgs per year. The entire department anxiously awaits to see who your new boss will be for that part of the year to see how your ongoing projects are affected.

Advice to Management

Properly train the staff OR hire competent managers to lead the organization's department. I'd most likely favor the latter. Stop the nepotism. It's really tearing the company apart. It's no secret that investing in good people will take the company further in the long run. ARINC seems to not understand that, or just plain doesn't care anymore! Many of the CONS has grown from inexperienced management.

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ARINC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great company and great people to work with

Cons

None that i know of

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your line management

10. "Good company but too much in jeopardy with Carlysle trying to sell company off"

Current Employee - Network Operations Specialist in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Network Operations Specialist in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at ARINC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth if you push for it. Other than that management is not worried about it. Raises other than annual cost of living increase dont even come with out asking.

Cons

Compensation is terrible even for internal employees looking to grow.