ASCAP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 15, 2017

2.0
Beth Matthews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Health insurance, 401k match, work from home privileges for entry level/data entry employees (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance actually exists (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low pay and very high stress (in 4 reviews)

• Too much condescension, lack of respect and high stress level (in 3 reviews)

1. "Disheartning"

Current Employee - Licensing Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Licensing Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ASCAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing anymore is my lead. There used to be tons of great, positive things about working here. Each region was like a family, we supported each other and helped one another. Now we've been pitted against each other.

Cons

Commission pay has been slashed year after year, by 100%, more work has been put on our desks, the stress is beyond insane, people come and people go, they take things away quicker and they no longer care about their employees or the happiness of their employees.

Advice to Management

I've almost been here 4.5 years. When I first started working here, the first 2.5 years, management cared about their employees then it just went downhill. If you pay your employees less and give them more work then how does a company expect employees to be dedicated to the company and the cause? It seems to me like the company has gotten so greedy they don't care about employees, the licensees or the members who aren't huge. The worst part is the fact they don't even realize some of the talent they have right under them and don't even try to utilize their employees strengths. I stayed because I actually cared about the cause, I stayed because I thought I was working hard to help support songwriters but now I don't even know if that even matters to ASCAP.

Make employees a focus, not a high rate turnover job.
    Make all songwriters a priority, not just the big ones.
    Make businesses who license with us feel important, don't just take their money and never speak to them again.
    Encourage employees from membership, marketing and licensing to work together to create a positive environment for all that are part of ASCAP.

Make this a true music industry job. Create an environment where employees, members and businesses who licenses with us have more positive than negative to say. I don't think it is too late to make positive changes, but someone has to make them.

"Sinking ship"

I worked at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Good time off and benefits

Cons

Where to start... such a toxic environment the place is a mess and lacks any formal process or structure. The amount of bureaucracy the new CEO and management team has been able to create in their short time at the org is almost impressive. Resources are not being distributed evenly across the company and instead of fixing operations they are continuing to build on top of a decaying and crumbling foundation. A lot of employees are stuck in jobs because of silo'd experience and those who have the transferable skills are beginning to move elsewhere. The turn over has been incredible and it seems like a new (valued) person is leaving every week. CEO and management refuse to acknowledge this as a sign or fault in their ways but rather playing it off as healthy turn over.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the turn over - people are leaving because of you. Take action on the surveys and feedback. Overall it seems too late, the damage has been done.

3. "Go Elswehere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ASCAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave it two stars for vacation and that I'm only know about the department I work in and those I work with. Vacation starts at 25 days.

Cons

Very political environment. For whatever reason the new CEO approves every new hire in the company. Besides that being a waste of time it shows me she has terrible judgement. She hired a group of actual friends to run the Product Department. This has create problems for my time beyond nepotism. From the time I have been with any of them in meetings it looks like none of them have management experience and few have interpersonal skills. Their employees are miserable and this affects my team's morale because nobody wants to work with them because of the hostility.

Advice to Management

Have the CEO be a CEO. Hire people who demonstrate good interpersonal qualities for roles that require interpersonal skills. Rule 1 in good culture is to not hire friends, let alone squads of friends.

"No appreciation for Experience."

I have been working at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Good health benefits for employees.

Cons

There is no appreciation for experience to help projects for future goals. Too much condescension, lack of respect and high stress level. Barely any bonuses nor raises.

Advice to Management

Please bear in mind that those with experience can help you understand where you have been so that you have a better picture as you look to see where you are going as a company. Also, show more appreciation for your staff. They are here to support you, your appreciation is a motivating factor for productivity. Your attitude affects that! Remember that!

5. "Too Much Politics For Too Little Money"

Former Employee - Membership Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Representative in New York, NY

I worked at ASCAP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although the pay is extremely low for the amount of work given, the benefits are fairly decent for a young 20 something in school. Take classes while in this position and get out when you're done.

Cons

Poor leadership and archaically hierarchal.

Advice to Management

Quit and let new blood in.

6. "ASCAP"

I worked at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Great benefits, non-overtime positions had great work/life balance.

Cons

Low pay, few opportunities for advancement, slow to keep up with advancing technology, some departments had a poor resources-to-output expectation ratio, management varied greatly between departments

Advice to Management

Invest more in growth of existing workforce

"Looks great at first..."

Former Employee - Licensing Specialist/Licensing Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Licensing Specialist/Licensing Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at ASCAP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people. These were some of the best coworkers I've ever had. My direct manager was great, too. He was a great teacher and honestly should probably be a teacher. ASCAP is willing to spend its money on company events and parties such as the annual national sales meeting. Everyone around the country who works for licensing

Cons

At first, ASCAP feels like "what have I been missing out on?" until you reach the end your probationary period and you realize the pay is pretty tough to budget and your bonuses are very, very hard to come by. You are given a goal of $11,400 a month to bring in licensing revenue. Not renewals, but new business. Meaning you have to do the research, reach out via email, mail, and calling and get yourself into arguments with business owners who are ignorant about copyright law and think you're calling from a solicitation scam company.

Advice to Management

Focus on more awareness for these businesses. If I start a bar, the state notifies me of the business licenses I need. ASCAP (and the other PRO's) need to focus on promoting the awareness of why (C) protection is so important to these dance schools and small bars, grills, and taverns.

"short term, port in a storm"

Former Employee - Regional Licensing Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Licensing Manager

I worked at ASCAP full-time

Pros

good benefits, 401k match, some of the employees were great people

Cons

such a bad place to work that , without exaggeration, 50% of the staff quits EVERY YEAR! Most of the people that stay, do so because they haven't found a better job YET. Relatively low pay and very high stress. Management constantly figures out ways to stiff employees out of payment of commissions.

Advice to Management

If this place was run by real business people instead of musicians, management would be completely different. A terrible place to work if you're good at your job. The insiders that have been leaching off the hard work of others for years, have a cooperative agreement with upper management because they know that if they steal commissions/or mistreat a new employee- that employee will probably be leaving within a few months anyway. The long term employees will look the other way just to get along with people that are going to stick around.

9. "Used to Be a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Licensing Accounts Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Licensing Accounts Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ASCAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off, benefits, their mission

Cons

Senior management's treatment of employees & their failure to accept responsibility for their own mistakes,

Advice to Management

As you may remember, in the ealy 1990's Booz Allen conducted a review of tour operations that called for, among other things, a flatter management structure. The board signed off on it, but instead layers of management increased while midlevel employees get laid off in response to such issues as IMJV and expenses associated with PREP. Think seriously about employee morale.

"needs to be reinvented"

Former Employee - Technical in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical in New York, NY

I worked at ASCAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very nice people, location and interesting projects. A good place to learn the music business.

Cons

Management is confused. Spending tons of money on computer systems as the revenue stream shrinks and they plan for massive layoffs. Senior management stays pretty much intact with high salaries as the workers get cut.

Advice to Management

Could have upgraded systems without bringing in army of consultants and offshore development. The big system upgrade project is a big failure. To justify the cost many people lost their job. Stop promoting the people with the loudest voices. You need to listen to smart thinkers and planners instead of marketing types.