ASI Government Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Timothy W. Cooke

1. "Corporate"

I have been working at ASI Government full-time

Pros

The autonomous and flexible environment is truly unique. From what I see, all employees are trusted to do their jobs and with a big emphasis on demonstrating value to ASI customers. Training and career development resources are offered to those who want to take advantage.

Cons

Being a mid sized firm in today's competitive market, limits the opportunities the company can pursue so it's in a tough spot to grow right now.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I worked at ASI Government full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management short-sighted and not willing to invest now to gain later. Need to remember 40% better than nothing. Live too much on past achievements.

Advice to Management

Look at everything you do, including the quality of people you hire with a strategic eye. Have upward mobility plans especially for high performers.

3. "Writer"

Former Employee - Writer in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Writer in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at ASI Government full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes they buy your lunch... otherwise, nothing.

Cons

They are heavily recruiting from CSRA, so if you're interested in working for a junior version of that, go for it. Not recommended for anyone under 55.

Advice to Management

This isn't a big company. Stop hiring people from heavily "corporate" backgrounds. I had to show an overpaid colleague how to copy and paste.

5. "A Two Faced Organization"

Pros

ASI had a great reputation for doing great work and being focused on taking care of their employees. That ended when Ann Reed left!

Cons

I used to think that the problem with ASI was Kymm McCabe. Then she left and the company continued its steep decline. Kymm was viewed as a insecure narcissist which she was. Rumors of her "dealings" with clients made there way throughout the company. In a year where employees didn't receive a raise she demanded and received a handsome one. Then Tim Cooke became CEO and people missed working for Kymm because at least she had a backbone. Tim would often talk about his father who was a Golden Gloves champion. Clearly those were traits he didn't inherit. The only thing he does well is spend an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom.

Advice to Management

The only advice would be for there Private Equity owners to sell them for pennies on the dollar. That is probably still too much of a return.

6. "Ills of unorganized growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ASI Government full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Signed on with lots of nice benefits and perks with promise of work-life balance. Likeable immediate manager and friendly coworkers.

Cons

There is a large learning curve in figuring out how ASI does things and there are not many effective tools available to overcome that learning curve. Large amount of turnover within the business development department due to absentee chief manager and overworked task manager, compounded by a confused strategy of whether to hire young, inexperienced worker bees to train from the ground up or experienced proposal writers that require reprogramming.

Benefits that were present upon hire began to be phased out to mitigate profit bleed.

Advice to Management

Would advise to figure out what a working strategy is and not play the expensive "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" game.

"A decent company to work for"

Former Employee - Principal Contract Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal Contract Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at ASI Government full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good quality of workers, good worker bees

Cons

Leadership needs more organization. Need more experienced managers

Advice to Management

Better and suitable and qualified managers are needed

"Company has a great CEO and contributes excellent thought leadership."

Former Employee - Proposal Writer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Writer in Arlington, VA

I worked at ASI Government full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values and culture, meaningful work. Would work in any department that was not business development.

Cons

Working with the business development team was brutal. A successful group, but one who also thinks its way is always the best way. also, tough work-life balance.

Advice to Management

working ALL the time doesn’t make one a more valued employee; it does make one resent the work though.

Feb 25, 2015 – Director of Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience here. We value your feedback and constantly strive to make ASI the employer of choice in the acquisition community. As a ... More

9. "Company does great work. Awful at work/life balance."

I worked at ASI Government full-time

Pros

office culture, innovative, creative, diverse workforce

Cons

unrealistic work/life balance. Company structure and organization is confusing at times.

Feb 25, 2015 – Director of Communications

We appreciate hearing from you and agree that our team does great work! ASI has been the premiere provider of federal acquisition thought leadership and support for almost 20 years. We are so proud ... More

"ASI Government"

I worked at ASI Government full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people dedicated to customer satisfaction and strong teamwork

Cons

Business Development and Proposal Management group extremely difficult to work with -- very poor interpersonal skills. The executive leadership is more focused on making money than taking care of its people, especially where proposal development is concerned.

Advice to Management

Replace the Director of Business Development

Feb 25, 2015 – Director of Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. We couldn’t agree more our team is amazing and embodies our values of Teamwork, Integrity and Excellence (we call our values TIE, because they tie together ... More

"On a roll!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ASI Government full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deep capability in acquisition from transnational to strategic solutions...and the greatest people! Engaged, open, honest communications across the company. Just won largest contract in ASI history with a huge pipeline that will provide growth in the future. I'm pumped. Love my team. Excited about the prospects.

Cons

Tough industry environment with sequester and a shutdown in 2013 which had far reaching impacts. Finally looking like things are moving in government again.

Feb 25, 2015 – Director of Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are delighted to hear about your experience. It’s true that the past few years have been challenging ones for the professional services industry. However, the ... More