AT&T Reviews in Akron, OH | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 997 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 285 reviews)

1. "Install and repair uverse and DSL and phone"

Current Employee - Call Center in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Call Center in Akron, OH

Pros

Money and benefits and retirement I hope .... the vacation time can be nice too ya know know know know

Cons

There is a lot of micro managing and the rapport between boss and tech is usually lacking these days I feel

Advice to Management

Treat your people great and they will give you great numbers

2. "Perm Tech"

Former Employee - Premise Technician in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Premise Technician in Akron, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare and paid time off...... the union is struggling with memberships due to major surpluses at AT&T but for the most part have your back

Cons

Way to many to list, unpredictable forced overtime, horrible pay, only 12 out of 52 Saturday’s off a year, just to name a few

Advice to Management

AT&T should clean house from the 3rd levels up... so disconnected and forget where they came from...

3. "No Place I'd rather be than Right Here - Right Now!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AT&T continually invests in our people. The company continually asks for employee feedback and takes action on it. AT&T continually pursues new growth markets which means there is always opportunity for those individuals here who embrace change.

Cons

We live in a place & time that is consistently changing so if an individual has difficulty with managing change this might not be the company to have your career with. However, for those who thrive on change & challenges - this place rocks!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! So thankful that our C-levels want our feedback & take action. Additionally, programs for employees such as Leading With Distinction are clearly World Class so please keep 'em coming!

4. "Interesting company"

Current Employee - Manager - Construction & Engineering in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Manager - Construction & Engineering in Akron, OH

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is decent, but the performance expectations vs the compensation does not match reality when you factor in tenure and education.

Cons

Time away from work is not considered in your performance. There is a micro-management culture they are still struggling to curtail.

Advice to Management

Work life balance needs to be better managed

5. "Shrug"

Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Akron, OH

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part about working for AT&T is the networking. I love meeting new customers and providing business solutions.

Cons

Unfortunately, I don't have the best manager. The company recently went through a re-org and is struggling to maintain order and establish structure. I'm currently looking for other opportunities. Also, as a salaried employee, there is no work life balance. You work 24/7.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

6. "Love Hate"

Current Employee - CSS in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - CSS in Akron, OH

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid, medical. The pay for outside techs is very very fair

Cons

Major micromanaging. Upper management can be ruthless to its employees.

Advice to Management

Stop giving techs time off for stupid things. Let the local management actually manage their techs. Hire local management from within so the know what they are talking about and not what you ( think ) they should know.

7. "Store Managers are overworked and underpaid - However, Sales Reps can make good money!"

Current Employee - Retail Management in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Management in Akron, OH

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, good benefits, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Increased goals and responsibilies each year with decreased compensation. Also, there is a very large disconnect from upper management to what they expect from folks working in retail locations. Stores are far understaffed and this creates a lot of stress for managers.

"Unfortunate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Akron, OH

Pros

Decent pay for an entry level position: If you are a top tier sales rep you can make $60K plus. Additionally, you get to work with the latest technologies in the wireless business. Most of the time you work with a lot of great co-workers.

Cons

No work/life balance, you have to deal with the most ridiculous customers who have this sense of entitlement I have never experienced anywhere at any time in my life, you get content with your position if you're a good rep. For instance you're making $60K which is more than either your assistant or store manager so you have no reason to get promoted and assume a lot more responsibility for a lot less pay. The absolute worst, most disgraceful thing about the position is this: This is supposed to be a sales position. You have 9 different quotas that you have to attain and exceed. It doesn't matter how well you do in these sales metrics if you do not obtain something called "CFT" which is a good customer feedback rating of 90% every month. That means 90% of your customers have to give you a 9 or 10 out of 10 survey score every month. Mind you, these surveys are supposed to be about you as a rep NOT about AT&T as a company. The majority of customers leave negative comments about AT&T not you but it is still held against you. The best thing about it? There is nothing you or your management team can do about it. No disputing it or anything like that.

I was the best rep at my store, in my district and top 5% in my entire region when it came to exceeding goals in all metrics and I was let go from the company because of what customers had to say about AT&T and their policies (of which I have no control over). Pretty pathetic company.

Advice to Management

There is a huge disconnect between higher management and the "front lines" (retail channel). The fact that the people who are putting the most money in their pockets are the ones getting let go over surveys is asinine.

9. "Going down hill fast"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Akron, OH

Pros

-You can make great money (for the amount of actual work) if you are in the right location
    -Good benefits package
    -Free phone

Cons

-Management is extreme
    -Tools designed to help certain individuals become mandatory even at the detriment of their best employees

Showing 9 of 16,830 reviews