AT&T Reviews in Buffalo, NY | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 997 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 285 reviews)

1. "Great Pay,Bad Ethics"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I worked at AT&T full-time

Pros

You get compensated well for the work that you do.Very generous commission and nice discounts on your service !

Cons

A lot has changed since I first started with the company in 2007.There's a lack of focus on what the customer actually wants-Everything is about forcing them into purchasing DirecTV or the shoddy Digital Life Security system. Sales consultants are often chastised for being honest and caring if it doesn't lead to a sale.This leads to reps doing highly unethical procedures for the sake of boosting their numbers (lying about pricing,false promises,lying about promotions,bundling in items and leading to customers to believe their bill can't change etc.)To make things worse,this is often encouraged by management as they get heat if they don't reach quota on selling these items. Commission pay out is heavily based on these products which customers overwhelmingly agree they're tired of having pushed down their throats.Because of this,customer service suffers.

Advice to Management

Get back to giving great customer service. Address the customers needs instead of spamming them with security system info.A lot of customers are turned off by this aspect of the company,I have been in sales all of my life and understand that product has to be moved-but there's a right and wrong way to go about it.Being honest about pricing and promotions will only help in the long run.

"Weirdest Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice uniforms that they give you for free, Training is extensive and not boring, co-workers are usually interesting people, Nice location

Cons

Managers still live with their Mommy and Daddy, "coaching" aka having a self important 22 year old with a high school education tell you how to properly do your job 18 times a day is a really big thing at AT&T, horrible upper management, Unionized in New York which doesn't even make sense, base pay is depressing, policies change every five minutes, employees are often really nice people but have failed in a lot of areas of life which is sad to experience, customers are not treated with enough respect or attention

Advice to Management

None really. This company is too far gone and far too large to restructure the way their corporate stores work. Sadly people will continue falling into the trap of either working at AT&T as an underachieving version of what they could have been or they will move on to something bigger and better. I hope for the latter.

"I quit due to non-existent leadership and the realization that as a whole, AT&T can pay customer facing employees less"

Former Employee - Retail Management in Buffalo, NY

Pros

You work for unengaged bosses that are incapable of holding poor performers accountable , allowing you to not have to work much at all to get by. If you're salaried you can work 20 hours a week and your boss won't know because they work probably less than that, I wouldn't know because they're never anywhere to be found. They no longer have offices and they're supposed to spend time at their 5 or so stores. I saw my boss for maybe an hour per month.

Cons

Dying channel. In line stores sales people literally continue to get paid less and less because sprint pays poorly and paying employees on the Frontline less equals better reported numbers to wallstreet. It's all smoke in mirrors. You're asked to produce X while others don't produce at all and they get paid the same. You're forced to sell a cheap security system which 1000% of the time there are install issues. Bunch of crap. You're forced to sell Directv , which is fine however, that's a dying breed. Locations with more "sales" get praised even though the "new" customers have had directv for years. They just were talked into putting it in the wife's name or vice versa, etc. If you actually are talented your area manager will simply increase your targets. Awesome, thanks. The cons go on for days. If you make minimum wage now and you have a full set of teeth then you could probably get a little bit of a raise going to att. If you possess a shred of sales talent then you would be throwing money out of the window working here. Thousands of jobs were just cut country wide including buffalo. More cuts will come as they realize they don't need area managers or "directors of sales". Too many cons to list.

Advice to Management

Quit. You're in the wrong industry. AT&T upper management preaches employee engagement and being involved. Being incapable of inspiring and engaging employees shouldn't be a ticket on easy Street. Employees see your extremely minute efforts and they are easily copied and implemented. Tenure doesn't make you a great leader. Unfortunately, on the leaders vs boss model there are 0 leaders in buffalo. It's sad really. I respectfully put in my resignation and my bosses first response was getting someone that can work at my location once I left. Never a good luck or where you going? Or why are you leaving ? Or do you have any advice for me? Nothing. My boss never even reached out to me again. Same with his boss. Extremely odd.

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Retail Management in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Management in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High paced highly engaged and profitable career
    Great people
    Excellent experience
    People-centric company

Cons

Only chances to advance are if you are willing to move out of the area.

Advice to Management

High pressure sales quotas that increase the next year because of a previously successful year are not motivating.

"The job is not for everyone."

Former Employee - Retail Management in Buffalo, NY

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay. Discounted service. Clean work environment. Plenty of customer traffic.

Cons

Long hours. Aggressive goals. Understaffed. Company stores get bad business overflow from agents and resellers because they don't offer same services. Company owned stores get billing issues, payments, complaints. Tough to sell.

Advice to Management

Commission goals are not inline with company goals. Place incentives where the needs of the business are.

"Unrealistic expectations with little feedback and support."

Former Employee - Retail Management in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Decent pay, good for resume

Cons

Lack of life/work balance, expected to work insane amt hours

Advice to Management

More training and development would have been nice. We were often told to do something one way, and then berated if that way did not have the desired results. Occasional positive feedback would have gone a long way.

7. "ASM AT&T Mobilty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Techology, Fastpaced, everchanging, positive leadership, there is always a member of senior leadership that is willing to help or find the help you need

Cons

bad communications, always recieved last minute updates on changes and are never given good amount of advance notice for the changes of new products or services

Advice to Management

increase communication, correct the way that employees are held accountable for their actions be more consistant, work on notifying employeer in advance

Showing 7 of 16,793 reviews