AT&T Reviews in Champaign, IL | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1134 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 333 reviews)

1. "Customer service representative"

Former Employee - Call Center in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Call Center in Champaign, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved helping other fix device issues. My work was always acknowledged by my manager. And I received great review from customers.

Cons

Work hours was not great

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job

2. "customer service"

Current Employee - Call Center in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Call Center in Champaign, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay; incentives; helping the customer

Cons

Management on you about the little things

Advice to Management

Let your reps help the customer

3. "Retail Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment and co-workers, easy to become noticed if you set your mind to it.

Cons

Union controlled, they say they are there to help but usually don't.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are your best asset and have great ideas.

"The pay is good, the hours can be long."

Current Employee - Technician in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Technician in Champaign, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AT&T is a great company to work for if you have no college experience. They pay for all of your training and any tools you need. Everything you do is tracked by a numbers system, and as long as you are even slightly mediocre at your job, you'll have one as long as you want. You can pretty much work all the overtime you want. That's my bread and butter. Time and a half after 40hrs worked, that means I'm making over $32/hr. I started out at $15.50 and after 2 years im making $21.53. My first year I made $43k, and $55k this year. The union bargains wage increases and other workers rights every four years (IBEW) Our health benefits are very good, especially if you've got a family. 2 weeks vacation every year, along with personal days, flex holidays, etc, all paid. If you need a day off and you know in advanced you just get on the website, pick what day you need and that's thats.

Cons

You must have some sort of relationship with technology, if you aren't tech savvy, you're probably going to get frustrated and quit within the first week. Customers expect you to fix any and everything that is wrong with their gadgets. You are AT&T, you are apparently a walking technological master. You must have all the answers? Right?!

Let's talk about the weather. Now I live/work in Illinois. We experience about 2 spring months 4 swelteringly humid summer months, 2 months of fall and then hell itself freezes over. I personally hate the cold. We work in all elements but when it's -24 degrees out and you have to walk thru a backyard with a latter on your shoulder thru 2-3 feet of snow and the wind is blowing and you're gloves are frozen to your fingers, you really start questioning your motive to live. You just want to lay down in the nice soft snow and take a nap and forget that you hate yourself. Seriously though, Mother Nature can be brutal depending of geographical location.

If you're lazy, please, just move along. I've seen guys come and go with this job. They come in all enthusiastic and then once they get a taste of doing the job themselves and their soul is crushed they start half-assing their job and then we're back out on jobs they've done, days later, fixing something that they should've done the first go round. If this starts happening, the senior technicians may or may not coordinate to have you ousted for your insubordination. And they should. Because you are unworthy. Do your job man! That's what they pay you for!

Advice to Management

You can add small things to our job, like Myatt education, but if you don't give me MSOC time to do that, then it is not going to get done. My time isn't free.

Showing 4 of 19,791 reviews