AT&T Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1114 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 324 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Sometimes customers are rude

2. "Area Manager Network & Process Quality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AT&T full-time

Pros

Benefits, lots of opportunities IF you are willing to move to Dallas TX or El Segundo CA, Decent work life balance in most departments. More focused on media unit.

Cons

big corp politics. Very hierarchical, almost impossible to move between business units. Everyone is just a number, limited opportunities outside of headquarter cities and media units.

Advice to Management

Speak openly to employees and include details. Too much talking out of both sides of the mouth. They want integrity but push sales so hard that when sales team called out for unethical practices they claim "well , that's just sales"....

3. "Sr. Technical Process/Quality"

Current Employee - Technical Professional - Process in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Professional - Process in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great internal HR department/Skills development & Training

Cons

Promotions can be limited if you are not in the right city and if you are not in the right Business Unit or if your not in a special leadership development program or if you have a less than adequate supervisor which is unfortunately too common these days. Don't be surprised if you ever find yourself working for someone that you have more skills, education and qualifications than. Sr. Leadership seems distant and indifferent. Pay varies by department. A very large company but you truly can succeed or fail based on the competency of your boss and/or your business unit/department. Unfortunately whenever you do have a great boss, they don't tend to stick around very long.

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors with direct reports to have better people skills, especially when managing professionals that have more skills, experience and education than they do. Find better ways to keep your top employees happy. There are too many talented and highly skilled professionals at AT&T that honestly deserve better.

4. "You will find out once your hired."

Former Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay that's about it everything else they will take away from you

Cons

Everything from CEO to customers

Advice to Management

Why they dont listen anyways they have it made.

5. "Great Learning Experience Terrible Culture"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable Pay and Commission and Decent Benefits

Cons

Terrible personal experience with the store manager, consistent micro-managing. The company cares more about profits than taking care of employees.

Advice to Management

Become more receptive to employee input and develop a better relationship with employees and management

6. "Call center - sales- billing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits for my family. The pay is great when you hit your numbers.

Cons

Doesn’t feel like there is much movement within the company. Compensation for sales seem to vary for bonus pay from month to month.

7. "Pays the bills...well!"

Current Employee - Outside Plant Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Outside Plant Technician in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for a union company with pay increases and cost of living raises is nice. Pay is great! Benefits are great! All three of my daughters got eyeglasses this week for free. 5 weeks paid vacation is awesome.

Driving and operating the new big placing truck is enjoyable.

Cons

They hire engineers and upper management right out of college that has NO experience in the field. Their expectations and their practices are all about the bottom line numbers but when actually applied to the field they are often times not realistic. Upper management is not knowledgable with what it actually takes to get the work done in the field.

Advice to Management

Upper management should be required to work in the field for 3 months before working in cushy offices, pushing numbers, and micro-managing field employees. This would allow them to have a reasonable expectation of all the issues you face when pulling cable and installing new plant.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Ihx in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Ihx in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Company culture is amazing. They go above and beyond for employees. The benefits package is great, generous PTO, 1/2 off cell phone bills and 10.00 Direct TV.

Cons

At&t goes through many surplus. Even as permanent employees you feel like you are a contracted employee. Even when they lay you off they go above and beyond to assist with new internal employment .

Advice to Management

Great Company!

9. "Refusing to pay me owed salary and commission"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AT&T part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working with this company. They do not care about their employees or their families.

Cons

They still owe me over $1000.

Initially told my starting pay as $0.30 per hour higher than it actually was. A new district manager took over when I was about a month in to my job. She immediately moved our newly appointed assistant manager to another store and began moving many employees to other stores. I found out from other employees that this is common practice with AT&T. They are constantly switching management and moving people around. There is a constant feeling of instability and uncertainty, especially as they are making plans to eliminate many corporate owned retail stores.

Now to the worse part. In November 2017 I received my commission check from October 2017 on schedule without a problem. I was then told by manager (in December) I needed to complete an online class or I wouldn’t receive my December commission on time. I completed the course, showed my manager and he signed off. Apparently that wasn’t the course so a few days before Christmas I saw my commission didn’t hit my bank account. I kept getting the run around about my check and was forced to find employment elsewhere because I was not getting paid the agreed upon amount. It is nearly February and I still have not received my commission that was due in December or the one due in January. I am constantly being told different dates by management and have had to involve the department of labor.

This company is so large it doesn’t respect or care about its customers or employees. If you work here you will be nothing but a warm body with a number attached to it. They will lie to you and constantly steer you wrong.

Advice to Management

Be interested in the well being of your employees and customers not just your shareholders.

10. "Service Consultant"

Current Employee - Service Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Service Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Good Training, Career Opportunities

Cons

The closings of multiple departments and offices

Showing 119 of 19,492 reviews