AT&T Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.5
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 890 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 503 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1082 reviews)

• "very long hours; no work-life balance" (in 312 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits/concessions, great pay, wonderful leadership.

Cons

Big company so you can get lost in occasional numbers game.

2. "Sales program execution manager"

Current Employee - Sales Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Development opportunities, resources to take advantage of, Employee resource groups, good pay and bonus, good vacation time, flexible work

Cons

Very competitive work environment (not necessarily a con)

3. "Call Center Representative"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Clean, Helpful, Laid-back environment

Cons

Difficult customers, slow training class

4. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I guess your coworkers are nice?

Cons

The benefits over the few years have declined.
    No sick days.
    Company (leadership) pushes employees to do fraudulent things and than fires them for it.
    Commission is almost nonexistent.
    Hours are really bad, no work life balance.
    Very stressful.
    The leadership to motivate people constantly tells them that they will get fired if they don’t hit their goals.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I don’t have any advise for the local management because I know the pressure comes down from the top. I do have an advise for the higher up folks - your employees are the company - remember that. Att is so successful because of all the small people that face customers every day. They deserve to be treated with respect and they deserve better for all their hard work.

5. "Network Services"

Current Employee - Network Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and 401K package

Cons

Employee discounts could be better

Advice to Management

Should look more into orders before dispatched on jobs

6. "Manager Construction & Engineering"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, and ability to think on your feet. Some freedom.

Cons

Politics, and large grey area rules that don't apply to everyone. Snakey co-workers who cheat. The more things change the more they stay the same, but take away from you.

Advice to Management

Your area manager will make or break your career. Watch double talk.

7. "Sales manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DONT WORK HERE

*The ability to work with a diverse, ever changing positive great group of people
    *very rewarding to watch your team grown and develop new skills
    *tuition reimbursement
    *vacation

Cons

*upper management does a great job giving the illusion that they care. They do not.
    *I HAVE BEVER BEEN MORE MICROMANAGED IN MY LIFE.
    *Difficult to promote talented people due to politics
    *Pay is much too low. I made a job change to an EASIER job and my annual pay went UP 20k
    *expected to be available at all times
    *Very poor compensation (put twice because it’s so bad)
    *low hourly pay
    *unattainable targets which leads to low commission
    *long hours/holidays/weekends required
    *redundant conference calls
    *cold calls to business required... if I wanted to make cold calls I’d work at a call center
    *LOW PAY. Not worth the stress/hours/pressure

Advice to Management

I worked here for 3 years at 4 different stores and multiple different managers. The store level is not the problem the politics are. Don’t hold promotions over peoples head as a bribe to benefit you. Promote the people who deserve it. I’m not saying this out of spite because I was promoted due to HARD work. I was unable to promote very deserving and talented people because maybe someone else knew the district manager or some other political pull.
    Raise people’s hourly and raise commission to give these people a living wage. 1350 if you hit your goal 100% is terrible. The only way to make money is to sell using shady tactics so you can get more sales than are realistic.

8. "Be prepared to sacrifice your health"

Former Employee - Worked As Both Craft and Management for Nearly II Decades in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits.
    You'll need those benefits to treat and manage the stress and anxiety caused by the job and hostile workplace.

Cons

AT&T's idea of work life balance is 90% work - 10% life.

Hostile interdepartmental rivalries. The primary goal of every department at AT&T is to shift the burden, cost, or responsibility of a thing to another department. They preach "I own it," but in reality everyone practices "not my problem."

Office politics and favoritism. Are you reliable, on-time, hard-working, and sincere? You'd better enjoy busting your butt and receiving no recognition while watching the slackers around you receive praise and accolades.

Short-sighted and unfair rewards program pushes employees to achieve metrics often DETRIMENTAL to customer service.

Upper management is EXTREMELY resistant to implementing suggestions from employees that would improve the customer experience and worker morale. Too many VPs down in Texas have a "my way or the highway" attitude and a "punish the whole class" mentality when one or two people are actually doing something worthy of discipline.

Advice to Management

No point in giving any advice, as they wouldn't listen any way.

You are absolutely worthless to them. AT&T sees its employees not as an asset, but as a liability - as overhead - as a cost of business that should be shed in favor of automation and overworking those "lucky" enough to avoid the axe during the ever more frequent rounds of layoffs.

"A 100+ year company, AT&T is the first iteration to ever layoff outside technicians"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The job itself is fun and challenging, no other cable and/or internet company requires its technicians to know as much as AT&T technicians have to
    -The pay is good as long as you don't allow them to lowball you with your starting rate, which they will absolutely try to do do everyone
    -You're on your own in the field, so you don't have to deal with coworkers
    -Work at your own pace, within reason
    -Always something new everyday, always something new to learn
    -Get to interact with a new customer everyday

Cons

-This position is currently (2018) being laid off gradually in every state.
    -Where do I start? AT&T is a machine, one of the biggest machines in American history. There is a lot going on under the surface that most don't even pick up on.
    -This position was given a $3 incremental raise ratified in 2017 to cover a five year period of 2017-2021, which means this positions compensation is increasing at a rate of less than a dollar per year, or in other words not keeping up with inflation and is actually receiving a pay decrease.
    -Talking to management in AT&T is identical to talking to the police. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Casual conversations will be permanently documented in your file. There is a union vs non-union, us vs them mentality. The management actively seek to break technician morale in any shop and turn technicians against each other and use them as spys to gather information against their co-workers. This is a dice roll on whether or not your co-workers will be knowledgeable enough about their own rights and either stick together or fold and turn against each other in order to volunteer to do managements job for them.
    -This is a position that AT&T created in order to cut cost, where historically this exact same work would fall under a higher paid department. AT&T does this with a lot of different positions, get rid of the old position and create a new underpaid position to do the exact same work.
    -You have to teach yourself the job for the most part, and your level of expertise needed will vary greatly depending on where you work. The training is good but it can never prepare you to work in the inner city, but it will work for the higher scale and newly built cities and suburbs.
    -Working in the inner city, lower income neighborhoods, the job is completely different than higher income areas. The AT&T facilities are in disrepair. The technicians have a lot more work to do. Management doesnt account for any of this variation. The company pretends like you are working in a factory doing repetitive identical work and that everything is uniform. AT&T has a textbook example for every single part of our job and any variation outside of that example is not taken into account in metrics and is not recognized. Maybe you will be lucky and work in an area that fits AT&Ts dreamwork scenarios and metrics, or maybe you will work in an inner city ghetto where stuff is falling apart and you have to have much more technical knowledge and expertise on how to make this work and do things outside of your job description and receive no recognition and have management act like what you're talking about does not exist.
    -When AT&T started Uverse and expanded Uverse, they hired technicians to prepare their facilities for the new system, but many of their employees frauded this upgrade process As a result, AT&T has ghost or phantom facilities, where the company records don't match reality, and we have to make something work on cable from the 1970s and 1960s but the company records are saying it was upgraded, and there is no way to correct this and the company doesn't recognize or view this as an issue.
    -Your first level manager is a peon who cannot influence any processes or policies within the company, his job is to get you to produce metrics and anything else is swept under the rug.
    -This position is underpaid relative to work expectations and knowledge required to perform this job successfully.
    -There is no incentive to do the job correctly. Technicians who do slap things together with no craftsmanship can thrive here because as long as you're meeting your metrics, the management will not say anything to you. But if you take your time to do the job the correct way, you won't be appreciated for that and you can become a target for disciplinary action because your working slower than technicians who are cutting corners and breaking rules.
    -AT&T also stands for At This Time, because what management says changes according to the flavor or the issue of the month, and things are never followed up on.
    -AT&T also stands for Always The Tech, the company is always looking for a new way to make something another department did your responsibility
    -The job responsibilities of this position have steadily increased since this position was introduced in 07-08, with no metric or monetary compensation for the extra work or requirements. Every year you have to do something new but the company never properly adjust the metrics to account for the additional work requirements.
    -You can be disciplined for someone hitting your parked vehicle, in any motor vehicle accident the company will expend every possible resource to figure out how they can blame you for it. If your vehicle is parked and someone hits your parked vehicle the first question they will ask you is "do you think you could've chosen a better parking location".

Advice to Management

Nothing. AT&T is a 100 year old behemoth that is not interested in concerns of its peons.

"Like having an emotionally abusive boyfriend."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason (really the only one) is the pay. The few people I have shared that number with have been shocked, apparently everyone thought I make minimum wage.

Cons

This job/company can be so frustrating that I just don’t know if it’s worth it. AT&T suffers from all of the classic retail complaints like terrible store management, absolutely no life work balance and of course the absolute joy that dealing the general public can bring to your life. But with AT&T you also have this wonderful union, which does nothing but ensure that lazy, terrible tenured reps get all the best schedules and get to do whatever they want.

Advice to Management

Hire some people to work at your stores or just close them already! It’s painful to run a store with the bare minimum of employees or less and I think that RSC’s shouldn’t be the ones picking up the slack anymore.

Showing 334 of 18,485 reviews