AT&T Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1124 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 328 reviews)

1. "AT&T is AWESOME & INNOVATIVE"

Current Employee - Lead Staffing Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Staffing Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time

Pros

I feel blessed to work for such a great company - top leadership educates us about the direction of the company - where our footprint is and most importantly how we make a difference in the lives of our customers. We are innovative - we have been - we are - and we will always be cutting edge with new ideas and innovations. I love being apart of that - the stories are endless to define our success! Come join our awesome team at AT&T!

Cons

So the process states you must list 5 words for this category - and those are my words since I don't have any cons to share......

Advice to Management

Keep investing in Leading with Distinction - this is a great platform for us all to hear the message from each direct report to Randall. So powerful!

2. "Disappointed in Columbia MD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Room for growth
    - AT&T has great benefits
    - Interesting technology

Cons

-Columbia MD office has poor managers
    -Work does not get done, and work that is done is not recognized
    -Broke agreements on salary and compensation
    -Not flexible
    -People are not nice. They are difficult to work with.
    -Hire people but do not have jobs for them.

Advice to Management

AT&T is a great company, but the Columbia MD office is so poorly run and managed it is not a good place to work. I recommend cutting out unnecessary meetings, and making sure there is a reason to hire people before doing so. I was brought in and they did not have a job for me, and this has happened to several of my coworkers. It is a very negative place.

"Good place to work. Needs to cooperate with union vs turning to corporate greed."

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistant schedules, good benefits, and a lot of opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

Long hours, non paid lunches, no sick leave, no flexible PTO scheduling.

Advice to Management

Work with employees when life event or sickness occurs.

4. "OK, but just OK."

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's probably an OK place to start, but I don't recommend staying here too long. Dental benefits seem to be above average (if you are willing to pay extra for that). Other benefits are slightly below par.

Cons

Raises are terrible.range 2-3% over a period of years. Morale is terrible. They used to have a defined benefit pension plan, but they did away with that. I think the only reason a lot of the old timers stay is because they got in on that before it was done away with.

Advice to Management

Hire Americans. Better 401K matching. Pay market wages instead of H1B wages. This company tends to hire the cheapest possible labor it can find, and in a lot of cases, it shows. The amount of corporate email spam is very high. We should have a charge code just for going through it.

5. "Run don't walk"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Decent pay, consistently 40-50k per year

Cons

Micro Management Nightmare. Every sale you have to explain why they didn't buy accessories or home security. As soon as you walk the customer out, there is manager behind you waiting to criticize. This is at every location, in every state. Only take the job if you are desperate or need money short term. It will drive you insane. I have seen 4 out of 20 employees literally have a nervous breakdown at work and start crying. They treat you like crap and you treat the customers like crap. It's a cycle.
    Hours 9.5+ per day
    Constant Commission Changes
    You work nights, holidays, weekends
    You can never miss a day without a penalty. Even if your sick.
    You will have to lie and rip off customers just to make quota. I sold a customer a 50gb data plan when they used 7gb a month. I had to. And I hated it. Make no mistake, AT&T doesn't care about anything but profit.

Advice to Management

Quit

6. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Call Center in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Call Center in Columbia, MD

Pros

Good benefits, wonderful teams, good support from customer service and locarions.

Cons

I have nothing ro say bad at this time

7. "Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management is very accommodating and willing to allow workers to go on "overhead" for a few months while finding a contract that suits them. Pay is good, bonuses are good (lumped in with Business group). Treat holders of security clearances VERY well. Some opportunities for training.

Cons

Training opportunities are obvious at the whim of budget and usually only approved if applicable to current contract. Hard to get training to open future opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with training, look toward future opportunities for worker training instead of just what will help with current contracts.

"AT&T is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides Flexible Hours, generous vacation, great yearly bonus / raises with the opportunity for performance based additional bonus, the company is a great community to be a part of. With lots of times to get to know people from other teams. Supports cross team communication and cooperation.

Cons

Not the best at keeping young people due to occasional forced moves within the company to undesirable positions or teams. It doesn't happen very often. Inability to get rid of dead weight (fire people) like most large corporate entities. Sometimes, promotions can be delayed due to ageism as opposed to being entirely about capability.

Advice to Management

Don't do the things mentioned in the con's section. It drives away your good talent.

9. "12 Years at AT&T"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    rigorous processes
    profesional co-workers
    financial support for continuing education
    community outreach

Cons

At times too much structure

10. "I have a job, an iphone, health insurance, and a appreciative client base."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Columbia, MD

Pros

great for networking, health benefits decent, one phone bill less, and I feel I am good at what I do.

Cons

they eat their young. at this point we feel very overworked and very underpaid. a company which used to reward and praise now leads with negativity and threats. they seem to have no concern at this point for the morale of their employees

Advice to Management

if you want the company to present a good image to your public you should think about burning the employees whom deal with the public

Showing 11 of 19,660 reviews