AT&T Customer Support Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay and benefits are really amazing" (in 976 reviews)

• "very good work culture, good work life balance" (in 573 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not much work life balance without seniority" (in 1182 reviews)

• "No work life balance or personal consideration" (in 348 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for..."

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer service experience, both internal and external. Learning soft skills, computer databases, keeping up with the latest technology in the digital world, and learning all troubleshooting for smartphones, tablets, and an occasional computer.

Cons

Opportunity for growth. Not expanding the department leaves one stagnant in their position. With so much to offer, it is not utilizing the opportunities available in diversity of employees contribution.

Advice to Management

Resources are available in the diversity of employees in an organization. Everyone needs to feel like they have worth. Recognition is important as well as contributions that can arise from focus groups with employee feedback. Make it diverse, listen to everyone, not just some or a select few. Everyone should have a voice.

2. "Customer contact Center can be stressful"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people to work with

Cons

Stressful, call center environment where you talk to customers all day

Advice to Management

More growth opportunities and support from managers

3. "Customer support specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and great co-workers. Learning everything about all the new mobile gadgets

Cons

Dealing with customers. And odd hours. No weekends off

4. "Customer support specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay increases, discounts, the people

Cons

Poor hours/shifts that change every 6 months and inconsistency in management

Advice to Management

More consistency with managers

"Low risk/low reward employer for those without college experience."

Current Employee - Business Customer Support Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Business Customer Support Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll ascend the frontline ranks quickly if you have a good head on your shoulders.

Cons

After two or three advancements and reaching almost-comfortable compensation, you will need to trade 10 years of servitude to advance to management, unless you have a college degree (literally any degree will do).

Advice to Management

Take notice of those that clearly outperform their peers and are natural leaders instead of turning a blind eye toward lack of a college degree. Identify talent from performance/experience, not from a piece of paper- some companies do this very well, AT&T is not there yet.

6. "Fast paced environment with many possibilities for advancement."

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for advancement, competitive pay and union. Tuition reimbursement plans available. 401k with up to 6% matching. Paid training.

Cons

Favoritism, lack of knowledge with some management. Pay to work load ratio can be inadequate at times. Some management expects you to take other reps under your wing and make sure they are meeting stats which should be the responsibility of management.

Advice to Management

Promote extended learning for management not just reps as it can be difficult to reach out to management who have little knowledge of their reps roles and responsibilities as well as process & procedure.

"Decent place to work in"

Former Employee - Advance Technical Support/Customer Service Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They have options to help you continue your studies
    - It's relatively easily to change schedules with other employees
    - Most customers are pretty easy to talk to, for the most part

Cons

- Constant change with no through training on bigger changes until months after things happen
    - This might be more to the Miami location but rather childish environment.
    - Focus on things that don't necessarily have to do with your stats, always a new flavor of the month
    - I don't understand their schedule changes sometimes, it's like they don't actually verify how the call flow will change and under-staff at certain hours

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in the loop and actually listen to them.

"Customer support specialist ATS-iPhone"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Evansville, IN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Security of a union contract, contracted vacation time, 10 days sick pay(including FMLA time), at times morale inside the call center is high, after 9 years you form many close friendships.

Cons

The only thing that is consistent is change. The managers each interpret the policies in their own way. Some managers will bend the rules for their "favorites" while others staunchly follow policy to a T as they interpret them. Some managers understand that there are exceptions in every circumstance, while other managers will only do exactly as their superiors tell them. Some managers really go to bat for their teams and stand behind the decisions made by/with their representatives, while others will throw you under the bus. Retaliation is practiced, however the company with their high priced lawyers are slick about it, and due to being difficult to prove tgnhey get away with it often.

Advice to Management

Provide our bargaining committee with the information they have requested in order for us to bargain properly. Come to the table and take this seriously. This is our livelihoods at stake here. We don't want to take anything away from you, but we want our fair share. We want the respect we deserve. We take good care of your customers, and at times they can become like family. All we are asking is that you stop being greedy. Stop this 50/50 by 2020 plan, and invest in your internal employees. While I understand there's always a bad apple, I could almost guarantee that over 50% of customers issues are either caused or left unresolved by either an outsourced call center or authorized retail. You tell us all the time to show that we care. It's YOUR turn now. Show that you care. Have some compassion on your fellow human beings and bargain with us. Give us a fair and equitable contract.

9. "Surprisingly good call center job!"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fellow reps are great to work with
    -Teams are relatively close knit
    -Management cares not just about performance, but your growth too as a professional

Cons

-Doesn't feel like our voices are heard sometimes

Advice to Management

Listen to your frontline more, and take heed of their opinions and complaints more than you do right now.

10. "Customer Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have good insurance and tuition reimbursement (see Cons). Discounts on services.

Cons

Scheduling can be frustrating because of constant changes and the hours of operation are quite broad. This can lead to somebody who normally works morning to have a late/night schedule. They have tuition reimbursement for college but due to the way they do scheduling you cannot be guaranteed that you will be able to make it to your classes all semester because your schedule can change drastically with no more than 1 week's notice. Not having school accommodations changes how one may view tuition reimbursement. They want you to be extremely flexible for them but when it comes time that you as an employee need to take off work or move to another day or time you are not assured that you will be able to keep your job. Hopefully life happens on your days off.

Advice to Management

Focus on low cost is important, but how important is it when every customer you speak to is always pissed off because of how poor customer service is. Taking care of employees will improve customer satisfaction.