AT&T Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1125 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 329 reviews)

1. "Substantial projects where I could make an impact"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great developmental and networking opportunities! I was treated like someone who was full-time

Cons

No direct path to full time

2. "Massive Death Star"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and pay. Good training and opportunities for advancement. Good work life balance

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and process. Getting answers takes too long. Advancement past a certain level requires willingness to relocate.

3. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good employee benefits, but have to fight to get educational benefits.

Cons

Worked in sales with a lot of people who don't speak their mind but expect you to read theirs and use non-verbal cues to communicate.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nasties in Sales as they don't improve the sales figures

"In Home Sales Expert"

Former Employee - In Home Expert in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - In Home Expert in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2018 Company Car with a gas card
    Free Cellphone stuff
    Huge discounts on your cell phone, internet, and tv bill
    Very little PHYSICAL supervision
    Meet a lot of different people

Cons

I loved the position for the first few months I transferred from a store. After those months I realize I was just another At&t store on wheels. You are the Store Manager, the Rep, the tech and customer care.

It's a DOOR to DOOR sales position with NO DAYS OFF.

There is always a new product or service they want you to sell even if it's not part of your quota every month.

It is a salary paid position so they tell you its a management but you're not a manager. It is a term used to not pay you over time. You will work 10+ a day with little to no lunch breaks. Your only day off is Sunday and another day in the week unless you have an appointment and trust me you'll go to them.

You are responsible for hitting your quota even if you go on vacation.
    You are constantly with your Supervisor or customers thru emails, text and phone calls. You have to send "numbers" at least 3 times a day.
    Quotas are unrealistic which results in employees finding ways to beat the system like committing fraud and lying to customers.
    You are sent out to unsafe neighborhoods.
    You run into installation issues with the customer that you have no power in resolving the issue or even your manager.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to the experts that have great work ethic not just their ranks in sales. Its a door to door position, don't deny it. A lot of the experts who join the position don't have those skills, have training courses. Such as time management, knowing when it's a good lead, learning how to follow up, how to develop relationships with clients. Part of the training course should be with the installers. The Uverse guys hate IHX and throw you under the bus with customers.

Lastly, which I think its a HUGE advice to management. Find another factor into motivating your team other than MONEY. the worst thing you can say to an expert is "don't you want to make money?". A lot of them are there because they want to escape the retail store environment and are more motivated to gain a position outside of sales.

5. "Attractive as long as you are employed"

Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, plenty of opportunities to work in a variety of domains

Cons

The layoff cloud is forever hanging over your head. Advancement is somewhat limited.

Advice to Management

Need to start holding people (including those at the top) accountable for their bad decisions.

6. "Network and Cabling Tecnician"

Current Intern - Los Angeles South West College in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Los Angeles South West College in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AT&T as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Certified Computer Technician, Computer Network Technician, Computer Network and Cabling Technician.

Cons

Requiring a drivers license but not an obstruction would still love to work there.

Advice to Management

Hire people for their skills not a drivers license

"Strategy & Business Development"

Current Employee - Strategy Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, with a strong emphasis on gaining new experiences. Very "kind" culture with a lot of support.

Cons

Slow to take action and lower pay than competing firms

"Nepotism and Favoritism"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits with AT&T are great for Full-Time Employees

Cons

If you are seeking career growth within AT&T, this is not the company for you, unless you are very good at kissing butt. Every candidate chosen for key roles within the company are based on whom you know not what you know. The feedback provided is "continue to self development, the candidate we decided to go with was more qualified this time around". However, what they forget is that you can quickly identify who was selected for the opportunity, and as you review their profile on LinkedIn or internal sites such as TSpace, 9 out of 10 times the candidate chosen lacks the skills and experience you have on all levels. For example, I personally went through the interview process for a position in another state, I was well qualify as a level 1 leader in the business working in several different organization; the candidate who was chosen for the position had far less experience, work in one organization, failed to perform at the location as a manager in the past, was given the opportunity based on who they knew, stayed in role for 2 months and was promoted to a level to manager without a year in role (which is required unless you are a favorite). In addition, majority of the individuals who are selected for key opportunities are clearly fraud and would do anything for success (meaning taking advantage of customers, flipping sales, and manipulating the systems). Just so you know, I did not get fired, I decided to leave the company because lack of career growth.

Advice to Management

Stop selecting candidates based on favoritism and nepotism, and start choosing candidates based on performance and experience.

9. "Don’t waste your talent on this company."

I worked at AT&T full-time

Pros

TV/phone discounts. Tuition reimbursement for some college coursework.

Cons

Where do I begin? Between consistent layoffs, poor treatment of managers, including calling/texting management morning/night/weekends/while you are on vacation, there is no work/life balance or respect for your time. You will not feel valued, and the pressure for sales pushes employees to either mistreat customers, or be publicly scrutinized in front of their peers. Find a better place to utilize your talent. Upward mobility will be non-existent unless you happen to be sleeping with the right person at the right time. Integrity and ethics went out the window when senior leadership all changed.

Advice to Management

If you continue to remove your best store leaders, you will continue to lose the engagement of your entire sales staff, who you happen to need of you want to stay relevant in the customer facing side of the business. Stop treating your level 1A and 1B managers like doormats, and find a way to keep the pay structure consistent before you get a nationwide class action lawsuit. When you see regional size fraud issues, look at the senior leaders in that area, as it’s not the sellers who are coming up with the ideas and no leader is truly “unaware” of what’s really going on.

"Meh.."

Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company strives for high standard in leadership. Expectations at each level extremely high. If you make it as a Director here, it means that your scope and span of work is huge. A director here can have as much challenge and responsibility as VPs or SVPs in other companies. Same for higher levels. Att is really a lean company for senior management and has few leadership opportunities.

Cons

The culture is so old fashioned, they are trying their best, but it is hard to move a company with hundreds of years in existence. There are a lot of Christians who happen to be leaders in the company and tell others their religion views and conservative notions. Beware. if you happen to be progressive or liberal. Promotions are hard to come by and they pay so little!!!. I know because I worked in HR and know how they compare with other companies. Very inflexible, change takes a long time. And for all the development stuff that they have, I wasn't impressed with their talent level. because talented people will leave a cheap and boring company.

Advice to Management

If you really want change and innovation, you should be open to other ways of doing things, please don't make the same mistakes you did with DIRECTVs acquisition with Time Warner. Your inflexible and cost leadership way of doing things will not translate well in the entertainment business.

Showing 203 of 19,664 reviews