AT&T Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
1,173 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 894 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 506 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1091 reviews)

• "No work/life balance because work schedule changes daily" (in 313 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for growth

Cons

Large company with a lot of politics

2. "Horrible"

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits- that’s about it

Cons

HORRIBLE COMPANY! Constant layoffs! Management has also restricted Telecommuting. Employees used to be able to work from home all the time- now it is limited to
    4 times a month. Impossible to find workspace at corporate locations- everything is “drop in” and you need to haul all your stuff into the office daily. Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Management does not care that you have a life outside of “the Death Star”. Try to leave or work from home with a sick kid, and you get written up! And I am a high level IT professional.

Advice to Management

IT employees need the flexibility you once gave us. We have ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Over time, the best and brightest WILL LEAVE ATT. My coworkers and I are all just marking time. Waiting for the surplus and package- at which time we will take our talents elsewhere. ATT will be left only with the employees on the right side of the bell curve who are nowhere approaching top
    Talent if they don’t change the culture DRASTICALLY TO BE MORE EMPLOYEE DRIVEN!

"Great Benefits and No Job Security"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Retirement, Education Reimbursement, PTO

Cons

No job security, constant restructuring and "surplus" layoffs. Retiree benefit cuts.

Advice to Management

Be mindful and respectful of the veteran (read "older") employees who built the network and keep it running. The employees and our corporate memory of the wireline business are no longer valued. We are considered a burden and irrelevant. We are being laid off because we are over 50 and too expensive.

4. "There are better options"

Current Employee - Manager, Technical Customer Service in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager, Technical Customer Service in Englewood, CO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were good!
    -Discounted phone, TV, and internet service.
    - Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage was great.
    - They have a pension option, which most companies no-longer offer.

Cons

-Terrible communication, departments are very silo'd
    -Constant employee surplussing, they have a conference call to discuss surplus information every Tuesday of every week of the year, this conference always houses 150+ people. So if you're hoping for a stable place of employment, look else where.
    - Poor customer service practices, this is in-part due to the constant push to place call centers over seas. Some call types make sense to put over seas like billing, but they are putting technical support over seas and it's absolutely terrible. They are aware it's bad for the customer, but have made the decision that because of the cost savings it's acceptable.
    - They are more budget focused than anything else. Every business has a budget, but they treat it as if this should be the sole focus of the job. Treat your employees right and they'll work as hard as they can to make sure you stay in budget.
    - Poorly implemented change. It's all about cranking projects out as quickly as possible, but nothing they push out ever works properly. While it's understandable that new processes and products will have their growing pains, they release it so far in advance before it's ready that most employees refuse to get behind any change due to the terrible state of the project.
    - AT&T is not a company that grows organically, they are strictly an acquisition company rather than a innovation company. This means that if you are part of a company that gets acquired you will likely lose your job due to overlap or they will simply close your office to move operations to one their "hubs". Their acquisitions are messy, and poorly planned out. They fail to do any basic steps like putting some veteran AT&T employees on site to help smooth the transition. It will basically be the wild west for the first 1 - 2 years, during which time no one will know how anything works and a large portion of your work force will be surplussed. Most existing AT&T employees will create and us vs. them mentality, so while you're going through a merger don't expect them to welcome you with open arms. The verbiage will change very quickly from "this is a partnership, we purchased you because of your hard working people" to "this was an acquisition, and this is how WE do it, get with it or get out" If your company had a good recognition program, kiss it good bye. Lots of companies purchase season tickets, gift cards, etc.. for recognizing employees. All season tickets will be sold, and at the end of the year all recognition stuff you had in place will go away. It will be replaced by a much smaller budget, depending on where in the organization your department lands you might expect something like $3 per a person per a month.
    - A big part of why AT&T is able to acquire so many companies is because they heavily unionize their workforce. While unions can be beneficial for some manual labor jobs where risk of injury is high, they unionize their call centers and sales reps as well. They do this because the unions bring a voice that sways votes in favor of a merger if brought in-front of the FTC. A brilliant tactic, but the union offers zero benefit to call center and sales employees, and makes everything tenure based rather than performance based. The processes in place to manage union employees are so absurd that most agents don't get held accountable, and while you may be hard working at your job the person next to you doesn't care and will do minimal work to get by, and because they have been there longer they will get paid more, have their first choice in shifts, and holiday days.

Advice to Management

A culture change to be more employee focused rather than budget focused would help a lot. All businesses have a budget, just do the right thing in the interest of your employees and the rest will follow.

5. "AT&T"

Current Employee - Lead Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Training and development program

Cons

Unless you are based in Dallas, no real hope for advancement.

Advice to Management

Remove a layer of mangement

"Project manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AT&T was a great company to work for.

Cons

AT&T started outsourcing so many jobs it became impossible to enjoy my job anymore.

Advice to Management

stop outsourcing!!!!

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offers a lot of training opportunities via its own training portal and discounts. Great benefits.

Cons

Very few promotions are given to employees lower than 4th level.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

8. "Human Resource Department Feedback"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management Team & Compensation

Cons

Reputation of prior regime

9. "Amazing Company Culture, Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Small Business In Retail Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Small Business In Retail Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, super flexible, the more you work, the more you make, unlimited commission potential. You don’t feel a sense of competition with coworkers due to the way teams are organized.

Cons

Leadership is always changing - management changes about 2-4 times due to constant reorganization. You may end up with great leaders and then with a horrible one. High manager turnover. Very high quotas compared to previous years.

Advice to Management

Better management training. Some managers leads by example with positivity and represent true company culture, but some other managers (esp those brought in from other markets) may cause more harm than good due to different leadership styles.

10. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jack, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jack, AL

I have been working at AT&T (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked working at AT&T before.

Cons

Sales based income is difficult sometimes