AT&T Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Randall L. Stephenson
1,204 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1114 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 324 reviews)

1. "Retail Store Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

- Benefits
    - Pay
    - Flexibility
    - Company that keeps on adapting to change which will always make it relevant to the future opportunity for job security.

Cons

- transparency needs to be work on threw upper leadership

Advice to Management

Focus on your network and ERG groups. There is going to be a lot of change all the time with different leadership so re building your image will happen quite a bit. If you are a manager who will be willing to relocate you can move up fast in the company.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits- that’s about it

Cons

HORRIBLE COMPANY! Constant layoffs! Management has also restricted Telecommuting. Employees used to be able to work from home all the time- now it is limited to
    4 times a month. Impossible to find workspace at corporate locations- everything is “drop in” and you need to haul all your stuff into the office daily. Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Management does not care that you have a life outside of “the Death Star”. Try to leave or work from home with a sick kid, and you get written up! And I am a high level IT professional.

Advice to Management

IT employees need the flexibility you once gave us. We have ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Over time, the best and brightest WILL LEAVE ATT. My coworkers and I are all just marking time. Waiting for the surplus and package- at which time we will take our talents elsewhere. ATT will be left only with the employees on the right side of the bell curve who are nowhere approaching top
    Talent if they don’t change the culture DRASTICALLY TO BE MORE EMPLOYEE DRIVEN!

"Stressful but it’s worth the pay and benifits"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Centennial, CO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay. Great benifits. And you’re able to make your own culture. Now, cooperate can be stressful but what job isn’t? This job has tuition reimbursement, amazing health vision and dental, fantastic pay, and you don’t necessarily need a degree.

Cons

Cooperate can be stressful. AT&T is the kind of company that buys other companies yearly. With that in mind, the structure is sometimes not the best but the expectations on selling these priorities is an up most need.

Advice to Management

Look at the positives and take time for you. It’s easy to get wrapped up and live at work but you need keep work life balance.

4. "High turnover for a reason"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Latest technology, pension, and competitive pay

Cons

Management does not care about employees, unethical practices, and management is all over the place

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees (your customers) and stop cheating them

5. "My time at AT&T"

Former Employee - Lead Training Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Training Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

Company Culture is the worst

Advice to Management

Listen to the emoplyees

6. "Too big to care"

Former Employee - Senior Training Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Training Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are slightly above average; working with new technologies is interesting

Cons

I could write a book on how awful this company is to work for. I gave them plenty of time and opportunities to give me reasons to stay, yet they fell short on every mark. Here's an example: when DirecTV was bought out, AT&T actually had to LOWER their entry-level pay scale they were so proud of being "transparent" with, because DirecTV staffers made less than what AT&T was paying their equivalent. So instead of bringing up DirecTV salaries - which would have improved morale - they instead lowered that entry level pay wage and told DirecTV workers it was DirecTV's fault they were paid on the low end of the scale, and that they would have to take additional courses - on their own dime, outside of company time - to improve their skills to continue to be employed down the line. Management also lies, saying that staff reductions only happen once a year. They also like to give anyone who has worked more than 5 years a title of 'manager' when they don't even have anyone reporting to them, so they don't have to pay overtime. Bottom line is this is a company built purely on greed, numbers, and satisfying shareholders. Employees and customers are the annoying speed bumps that only get in way of those pursuits, and just like a speed bump, get run over time and time again.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees. TRUST your employees. PAY your employees what they are really worth, not what an analyst says. Here's a shocking revelation: when you treat employees like adults and not children, they'll willingly promote the company and give you more effort! Stop reading the Harvard Business Review articles - they're a waste of your time and you won't be able to implement them anyway. I'd also advise anyone in management to get out now: I've never been happier since I've left, and I'm no longer a speedbump or a number. I work for an employer who TRUSTS me and pays me in accordance with my experience and I get a bonus every month based on MY performance - so if another division drags down the company or the market turns south, I'm still compensated as an individual for my contributions.

7. "Great company with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

50% off all products and services (exclusions)
    Great health & vision insurance
    Great pay and commission structure

Cons

LONG hours
    Retail
    Customers were not the greatest
    unrealistic expectations from higher management

Advice to Management

Listen to the frontline employees, they are in the line of fire and work their butts off for the company every day!

8. "Sr. Project Program Manaer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Ethical Company. Extremely diverse and inclusive. Exciting time for technological advances. Provides a service that the public devours.

Cons

Raises are low, process slows down results, top heavy and management is out of touch with what is happening on the front line: Often the two are not aligned.

Advice to Management

Inquire to the front line as to the practices in the field. Do they align with the strategies

9. "Industry leader"

Former Employee - Collections Manager
    Former Employee - Collections Manager

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Continued internal education
    Pay is good

Cons

Layoffs
    Not open to adapting successful processes from acquired companies

10. "Overall has been a great experience, love the growth within the company."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth. Show what you’re made of and the rest is easy.

Cons

Shouldn’t have to interview for the same position when applying for a transfer.