AT&T Reviews in Memphis, TN | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1125 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 329 reviews)

"The Very Best There Is"

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There’s no hard labor involved. Plenty of opportunity to advance and promote within or outside of the company if preferred. Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable. The Health insurance that’s offered is amazing. 401 K . HUGE discounts off of all AT&T services plus many many others. Union organized. Fun environment. Vacation days are issued often. Possibilities of leaving work early some days (without pay) if calls are slow and company approves. Different types of bonus opportunities are given often, just for doing your job the way you’re supposed to anyway.

Cons

I honestly don’t have many cons to list here....I still believe this is the very best company out there to work for...but while I absolutely love the company and all that it stands for, the Memphis call center itself is a whole different story. A lot of favoritism goes on there, along with a lot of gossip and rumors. Management constantly changes things up and don’t always communicate these constant changes with all teams or reps until it’s to late. The attendance policy is way more strict than I’ve ever heard before. They don’t give you much room to miss work for sudden emergencies, etc. they USED to.....but not anymore at all for a while now. If you have special health issues that would require you to ever have to possibly go on a disability leave (which is only available to you after one full year or working with them) , then this is definitely NOT the company you want to work for. The company that handles the leave status is horrible in my opinion. They will require you and your doctor BOTH to work day and night constantly sending them in a very large amount of paperwork that’s mostly not even necessary. AT&T feels that it is all the employees responsibility to make sure all dates missed are covered by your doctor, and you have to constantly beg and remind your doctor of things to send in after a couple of weeks because your doctor will get so overworked with everything that they request...they WILL start to forget things. And, Even IF you fully complete everything they want you to complete, and perform everything the exact way they want you to perform it, I would advise to screenshot everything and send it straight to your personal email...because it’s been proven before that certain absence dates along with other things are known to suddenly just change or disappear without you being notified and no one being able to provide you a reason as to “why”. However, Other than the attendance policies and rumors, gossip, favoritism, micro management, unmet promises, and the lack of encouragement but instead...constant blame on the representative for what they are or are not doing- this company is the very best I’ve ever worked for. I’m actually even already considering retirement......just NOT at THIS particular center if at all possible.

Advice to Management

If I could make any recommendations....I would definitely work on your attendance policy a little. 8 points is a great amount but the amount of time given before the full point is given isn’t even one full half of the daily 8 hours. That’s where I think it needs work.

Also, try having the supervisors and managers trained to give a little more encouragement to their teams and individual reps. All I constantly ever hear is what I’m doing wrong or what tool I may not be using. Even when every metric on my scorecard for that month may be far above goal , I still just recently got harassed about the ONE and only goal I did NOT meet, which was AHT. I never even got coaching on it, no skills were taught to me to avoid it from happening again next month...even after I asked for help with it. I never got ANY feedback on and of my other individual metrics at all....which literally all far exceeded the metric goals. No encouragement given what so ever, which in turn has made me really despise being their now. My last supervisor was great though.

Lastly, maybe consider using “work performance” as a value rather than “tenure” or “favorites” when it comes to shift bidding, promotions, and other things. Some of your reps work really hard to meet your constantly changing goals, they may struggle at times but are always looking for different opportunities of advancement. While not all, but the majority of your tenured reps have decided to stick with what they know. They hardly ever even try to advance with the company and learn any news tools or follow any new changes until they are absolutely forced to. If you haven’t done this already, just go take a look at which reps consistently give you your highest metrics thru out the call center.......I have a good feeling it will be the newer ones. I just feel that they To should be shown a great amount of recognition also....especially if they are performing well and meeting or exceeding their goals. I understand that tenured reps have given a history of their time and loyalty to the company....but, I thought that’s what their pay raises were for? What do they actually still CURRENTLY DO better than any new hires that they should be obligated to get these great opportunities? I’ll wait.....

2. "Great if you enjoy sales; soul crushing if you don’t."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money and vacation time were decent. I was making $16/hour while part time and working on my bachelors. I got 2 full vacation weeks a year. School costs can be reimbursed if the major is on the “approved” list (and you agree to continue to work for the company for a set amount of time).

Cons

Constant pressure to sale every single product that AT&T offers. There’s a revolving door of managers. I had SEVEN managers in the three years I worked there. That doesn’t even include the assistant managers. The training sessions at HQ were mind numbingly awful.

Advice to Management

When I first started, we were told that not every product would fit/work for every customer and that we needed to tailor the solution to the customer. At the end of my time there (3 years later), we were penalized and written up if we didn’t sale both DirecTV and Digital Life to every single person that walked through the door. Management would lie to customers about pricing in order to sale, and then have no solution when the customer came back complaining about the difference to what they were promised.

"Good pay, but bad culture"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well, especially for a part-time job. I worked at a corporate retail location where our wages were collectively bargained for by the CWA Union. They have bargained for good base wages plus commissions, as well as paid time vacation and mandatory breaks during the shift. I have not worked in a franchise location but have heard from several people who have that the franchise locations do not provide the same benefits or pay. I was told sales reps at the franchise locations in my city make minimum wage and the rest on commission, while my base pay, at the corporate location, was almost double minimum wage and we got commissions.

Cons

The managers will micro-manage you with frequent "observations," where they sit down at a table with you for the entirety of your interaction with a customer. On top of this, in my region, they claim you cannot be fired for not hitting your sales targets, which are set by management and are very aggressive targets that it is impossible for everyone in the store to hit, they will write you up for minor behavior things that do not constitute a write up (for example, I was once written up for "not walking a customer to the door" when the only reason I didn't walk them to the door was because I looked down at my iPad to close the customer's account while we said goodbye to each other, and by the time I looked up the customer had already speed-walked their way out the door). They will continue to write you up for minor things that do not deserve write ups until you either start hitting sales goals, or you have so many write ups that you are effectively fired for not hitting your numbers.

Advice to Management

Set more manageable sales goals. Having such aggressive goals encourages bad behavior from sales reps. Only the top two or three reps in my store hit their goals every month, and those reps were unanimously considered to be the most dishonest reps at my location by my coworkers and I. The top sales reps themselves would have no problem telling you to just say whatever you need to say to get a sale.

You need to place a much greater emphasis on the customer experience and your long-term relationship with each customer. Focusing so intently on short-term sales goals is short-sighted and harmful to your business. It discourages people from spending time actually trying to help customers and give them the products they need, and from ensuring customers are well taken care of, while encouraging dishonest behavior and, often times, flat out lies in order to close a sale.

4. "Not for Everyone"

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, health benefits, 401K, discounts

Cons

PTO is not always availability, management, gossip, micromanaging, threatening job loss, favoritism, attendance policy.

The PTO is a joke! You may have the vacation hours, but only a certain amount of people are able to take it daily. If you have an emergency, forget about it. You better take a point and hope that it doesn’t take you to 8 points or they’ll be waiting on you at the door (Face tilt). They don’t give sick days and there is no such thing as an excused absence, unless you’re a favorite. The advanced opporunities are there! AT&T is still an amazing company to work for, just not the Memphis location. They haven’t hired in years, but if you do luck up and get an interview, stay for 6 months only, don’t get any points or written up, and LEAVE! Their mentality is they don’t want you to do good at all. The people are overall haters.

Advice to Management

Do better. Everyone does not have what it takes to be a manager, even if they were excellent as a representative.

5. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work a lot of overtime.

Cons

Given points for being (1) minute late for work, coming from break or lunch; customers are rude. Unable to use your benefits due to no available time slots to be off work, call center fill of sick employees. Huge employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Better treatment of employees that make AT&T what it is; stop outsourcing Call Center jobs to foreign countries.

6. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AT&T provides training and tuition reimbursement to further education and knowledge. If you want to gain the information to be successful in the business world, and technology, AT&T is the company to work for.

Cons

There is no work life balance in the retail store. You must be able and willing to relocate in order to reap the full benefits of the company.

7. "Customer support specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and great co-workers. Learning everything about all the new mobile gadgets

Cons

Dealing with customers. And odd hours. No weekends off

8. "AT&T gives you all the tools to be successful. I have never been more satisfied with a career move! CSE 3."

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, foresight into our industry is unmatched - great leadership! Longtime veterans always willing to help and share their experiences.

Cons

None that I have found. We are extremely focused on where technology is headed. I'm proud of it. Big company, but our tools help us stay in touch.

Advice to Management

Engage with me, I want you to share the AT&T vision with my customers. I believe in our direction.

"Very informative, I have learned and grown a lot in my customer service that I give and expect."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, with all the companies that are with AT&T. AT&T is a great name to have on your resume with all the technology and digital resources

Cons

The stress is not okay, this position is fast paced and will challenge you mentally. The turnover is high and management does not give attention to employees needs

Advice to Management

Look at things from your employee point of view

10. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, pto time off

Cons

Everything. Lol. Micromanaged to the hills. Work every weekend and work holidays

Advice to Management

A lot

Showing 57 of 19,674 reviews