AT&T Reviews in Memphis, TN | Glassdoor

3.7
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 890 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 503 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1082 reviews)

• "very long hours; no work-life balance" (in 312 reviews)

"The Very Best There Is"

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There’s no hard labor involved. Plenty of opportunity to advance and promote within or outside of the company if preferred. Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable. The Health insurance that’s offered is amazing. 401 K . HUGE discounts off of all AT&T services plus many many others. Union organized. Fun environment. Vacation days are issued often. Possibilities of leaving work early some days (without pay) if calls are slow and company approves. Different types of bonus opportunities are given often, just for doing your job the way you’re supposed to anyway.

Cons

I honestly don’t have many cons to list here....I still believe this is the very best company out there to work for...but while I absolutely love the company and all that it stands for, the Memphis call center itself is a whole different story. A lot of favoritism goes on there, along with a lot of gossip and rumors. Management constantly changes things up and don’t always communicate these constant changes with all teams or reps until it’s to late. The attendance policy is way more strict than I’ve ever heard before. They don’t give you much room to miss work for sudden emergencies, etc. they USED to.....but not anymore at all for a while now. If you have special health issues that would require you to ever have to possibly go on a disability leave (which is only available to you after one full year or working with them) , then this is definitely NOT the company you want to work for. The company that handles the leave status is horrible in my opinion. They will require you and your doctor BOTH to work day and night constantly sending them in a very large amount of paperwork that’s mostly not even necessary. AT&T feels that it is all the employees responsibility to make sure all dates missed are covered by your doctor, and you have to constantly beg and remind your doctor of things to send in after a couple of weeks because your doctor will get so overworked with everything that they request...they WILL start to forget things. And, Even IF you fully complete everything they want you to complete, and perform everything the exact way they want you to perform it, I would advise to screenshot everything and send it straight to your personal email...because it’s been proven before that certain absence dates along with other things are known to suddenly just change or disappear without you being notified and no one being able to provide you a reason as to “why”. However, Other than the attendance policies and rumors, gossip, favoritism, micro management, unmet promises, and the lack of encouragement but instead...constant blame on the representative for what they are or are not doing- this company is the very best I’ve ever worked for. I’m actually even already considering retirement......just NOT at THIS particular center if at all possible.

Advice to Management

If I could make any recommendations....I would definitely work on your attendance policy a little. 8 points is a great amount but the amount of time given before the full point is given isn’t even one full half of the daily 8 hours. That’s where I think it needs work.

Also, try having the supervisors and managers trained to give a little more encouragement to their teams and individual reps. All I constantly ever hear is what I’m doing wrong or what tool I may not be using. Even when every metric on my scorecard for that month may be far above goal , I still just recently got harassed about the ONE and only goal I did NOT meet, which was AHT. I never even got coaching on it, no skills were taught to me to avoid it from happening again next month...even after I asked for help with it. I never got ANY feedback on and of my other individual metrics at all....which literally all far exceeded the metric goals. No encouragement given what so ever, which in turn has made me really despise being their now. My last supervisor was great though.

Lastly, maybe consider using “work performance” as a value rather than “tenure” or “favorites” when it comes to shift bidding, promotions, and other things. Some of your reps work really hard to meet your constantly changing goals, they may struggle at times but are always looking for different opportunities of advancement. While not all, but the majority of your tenured reps have decided to stick with what they know. They hardly ever even try to advance with the company and learn any news tools or follow any new changes until they are absolutely forced to. If you haven’t done this already, just go take a look at which reps consistently give you your highest metrics thru out the call center.......I have a good feeling it will be the newer ones. I just feel that they To should be shown a great amount of recognition also....especially if they are performing well and meeting or exceeding their goals. I understand that tenured reps have given a history of their time and loyalty to the company....but, I thought that’s what their pay raises were for? What do they actually still CURRENTLY DO better than any new hires that they should be obligated to get these great opportunities? I’ll wait.....

2. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work a lot of overtime.

Cons

Given points for being (1) minute late for work, coming from break or lunch; customers are rude. Unable to use your benefits due to no available time slots to be off work, call center fill of sick employees. Huge employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Better treatment of employees that make AT&T what it is; stop outsourcing Call Center jobs to foreign countries.

3. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AT&T provides training and tuition reimbursement to further education and knowledge. If you want to gain the information to be successful in the business world, and technology, AT&T is the company to work for.

Cons

There is no work life balance in the retail store. You must be able and willing to relocate in order to reap the full benefits of the company.

4. "Customer support specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and great co-workers. Learning everything about all the new mobile gadgets

Cons

Dealing with customers. And odd hours. No weekends off

5. "AT&T gives you all the tools to be successful. I have never been more satisfied with a career move! CSE 3."

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, foresight into our industry is unmatched - great leadership! Longtime veterans always willing to help and share their experiences.

Cons

None that I have found. We are extremely focused on where technology is headed. I'm proud of it. Big company, but our tools help us stay in touch.

Advice to Management

Engage with me, I want you to share the AT&T vision with my customers. I believe in our direction.

"Very informative, I have learned and grown a lot in my customer service that I give and expect."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Memphis, TN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, with all the companies that are with AT&T. AT&T is a great name to have on your resume with all the technology and digital resources

Cons

The stress is not okay, this position is fast paced and will challenge you mentally. The turnover is high and management does not give attention to employees needs

Advice to Management

Look at things from your employee point of view

7. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, pto time off

Cons

Everything. Lol. Micromanaged to the hills. Work every weekend and work holidays

Advice to Management

A lot

8. "Wire Technician"

Former Employee - Wire Technician in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Wire Technician in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay. Union. Pay issues resolved in a timely manner most times.

Cons

No work/Life balance. If you plan on living a life then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Treat your technicians better. They are the backbone of the organization.

9. "I needed a job"

Former Employee - Uverse Tech in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Uverse Tech in Memphis, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance was great. The pay was good after we went union.

Cons

Everything is about metrics and there is less focus on the customers. Too much micro managing. . It seems like policies and job guidelines were being put in place by those who don't know our jobs.

Advice to Management

The customers bring your money in, not how fast someone works. Consider being more customer driven.

10. "att"

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay,job details pay is ncompetitive

Cons

hours don't work with kids

Advice to Management

helpthers advance

Showing 55 of 18,297 reviews