AT&T Reviews in Minneapolis, MN | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1114 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 324 reviews)

1. "Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Tech Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience working at att. Amazing coworkers and very meaningful work. Enjoyed it very much.

Cons

At the moment, just cut down on some of the processes. Indeed there should be processes, but some seem to be redundant.

Advice to Management

Innovate faster.

"Technology Project Management"

Former Employee - Technology Project Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technology Project Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

This was a great place to work and people were very professional in every way. made great friendships with different employees that still exist today. Support was great for getting help in projects and reaching out to people across the country.

Cons

It was tough to leave because of budget cuts and consolidating our process with Consumer based reps. They did not plan this well enough to keep good people, we lost alot of great talent to this because they just looked at salary and not productivity of the people. I heard lots of bad press after this happened that lower paid people were just out for a free ride and the people that worked and got raises were in the long run punished because they made too much money.

Advice to Management

during these type of budget cuts please take a look at the people not just the job categories based on where they lived where in the south salaries were much lower than they were here in Minneapolis, as we were targeted because we had higher salaries because of the cost of living was much higher, and I know for the majority the work ethic is much greater here in Minneapolis and family values are much more valuable.

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package, coworkers are great

Cons

Terrible pay, no appreciation for employees

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees, they are the backbone

4. "Retail Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - RSC in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - RSC in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement, Job protection from Union, PTO, opportunity to advance if you're willing to move especially, 401K match 6% I believe

Cons

Attendance policy (there's no sick time), unethical sales coaching, micromanaging,

Advice to Management

AT&T likes to use a coaching model called "Start, Stop, Continue" when they're in their 1:1's. This review will be written in a similar manner.

START:
    -A better way to sell & educate on DTV (in all it's forms). Preferably in a less complicated honest way that customers can understand.
    - Hire managers who have proven more than numbers, honesty, integrity, and considerations goes along way with employee retention, workplace morale, culture, and SALES.
    -Treating those with kids/pregnancies/sickness/family like their outside life doesn't matter-- figure out the point system. It's unrealistic.
    -Implement RMDP again & leadership programs, treat employees like humans and not robots.
    - Coach to actions not numbers
    -Caring about employees well being and not solely if your sales floor will be temporarily staffed

tip**:it would be staffed with ease if management tried putting employees first and caring about their needs as they would want to be at work- that's how it was in my first 3 1/2 years.

STOP:
    CSS (customer service summary's) -they're wrong anyway. E-mail the customer exactly what they got, or make a CSS that's wholistic and accurate printable for those without e-mail.

I have worked for this company for almost 5 years & enjoyed the first 31/2 years. More recently the new management that's been brought to the Minneapolis market functions little like what they ask, and lots like what they want of others. It feels more like a dictatorship than servant leadership. Using threats of getting fired for correcting a manger on something they said that was wrong is not something someone who is trained in effective management does. The first 3 1/2 years my experience was managers that truly wanted you to succeed and inspired to want to do better in the current role and eventually a promotion. I learned a ton from this role and wouldn't change the past 1/2 of decade, I hope this review goes towards constructive criticism into making the AT&T Minneapolis market better.

They have unrealistic expectations for DTV that provenly pressures reps & promotes dishonest selling out of fear of getting written up. The systems required to sell these products/services don't always work or, they accidentally don't track your sales. - - This happened to me and no one did anything about it when brought up to management. Kind of a big deal when it's the most important metric AND what you get paid the most on.

CONTINUE:
    Investing in the integrated solutions, it's the way of the future with the way VZW, Sprint, & T-Mobile and others are going.

I hope things get better and if management changes their style of coaching and leadership I would recommend this as a good place to work.

"Getting to be a mess...."

Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, discounts, etc. Work from home is available but the company actually seems to be going away from it. Good mid-level management.

Cons

Growing size is only making the job more confusing. Processes are terrible and confusing. Projects go nowhere. You feel like you are not doing any actual work.

Advice to Management

Clean it up. Need better processes, more teams splitting up the massive projects that are being given to IT. Get better people in there.

"Pay Cuts Pay Cuts Pay Cuts For Everyone!!!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money to start, good benefits, fun environment to work in (with your co-workers, not anything the company does for you), that’s about it

Cons

God awful work life balance, goals change like the weather (always to the detriment of the employees and not leadership), no room for growth outside of retail, bad communication from mid and upper management, sell you dreams and give you nightmares instead, too much interaction with people who were not my direct report, unrealistic expectations and then accountability for not reaching expectations, not enough women holding leadership positions, not enough people of color holding leadership positions despite a lot of talk about “diversity”, WAY too much change to keep employees in rhythm and help them be successful,

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and your company will have better success, cutting pay and asking for more work to be done is not what a talented candidate wants in an employee trust me I am one

7. "Good time at AT&T"

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn in an environment where you can grow your skills.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

"No care for employees or customers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coverage and employee plan discounts

Cons

Very ignorant management too stubborn to listen to concerns of customers and employees. Constantly declining in value. Drastically let's go of employees and out sources jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and customers and maybe you'll still be around in the future

"Retail Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off wireless, good pay and you get to meet people from all walks of life.

Cons

unrealistic goals with constant pressure from management. Company is going through huge changes into the entertainment business after they have groomed their customers into thinking they are just a wireless company.

Advice to Management

Quit threatening us with our jobs and help us succeed with our numbers.

"Retail Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Constant training
    Generally able to hire own team
    Decent employee discount off of tv and cell service.
    Tuition reimbursement after a year of tenure.
    Resume builder for future employers

Cons

No job security.
    Loyalty and tenure doesn't matter if you don't play corporate politics.
    Micro management is at an all time high example: having to call your director of sales every day your team doesn't hit a certain KPI
    Fear management is rampant.
    Expect excellence out of the store leaders, but if you expect the same back get treated like the black sheep and are labeled unhappy and/or a cancer
    They Reward those with shady sales tactics and no integrity.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the Inspired and Engaged surveys as well as the ENPS surveys. It's not ok for a VPGM to get employees names wrong on conference calls to the market and laugh like it's a joke. Or to celebrate a service anniversary of someone who was surpluses months prior....Treat your employees like they're humans and not just another cog in the machine.

Showing 40 of 19,507 reviews