AT&T Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1114 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 324 reviews)

1. "Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Tech Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience working at att. Amazing coworkers and very meaningful work. Enjoyed it very much.

Cons

At the moment, just cut down on some of the processes. Indeed there should be processes, but some seem to be redundant.

Advice to Management

Innovate faster.

"Technology Project Management"

Former Employee - Technology Project Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Technology Project Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

This was a great place to work and people were very professional in every way. made great friendships with different employees that still exist today. Support was great for getting help in projects and reaching out to people across the country.

Cons

It was tough to leave because of budget cuts and consolidating our process with Consumer based reps. They did not plan this well enough to keep good people, we lost alot of great talent to this because they just looked at salary and not productivity of the people. I heard lots of bad press after this happened that lower paid people were just out for a free ride and the people that worked and got raises were in the long run punished because they made too much money.

Advice to Management

during these type of budget cuts please take a look at the people not just the job categories based on where they lived where in the south salaries were much lower than they were here in Minneapolis, as we were targeted because we had higher salaries because of the cost of living was much higher, and I know for the majority the work ethic is much greater here in Minneapolis and family values are much more valuable.

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package, coworkers are great

Cons

Terrible pay, no appreciation for employees

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees, they are the backbone

4. "In Home Expert HORRIBLE JOB"

Current Employee - In Home Expert in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - In Home Expert in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, okay benefits, decent schedule

Cons

micro management to the T, TONS and TONS of empty promises. Constant changes to goals and randomly taking away promotions. Constantly told to use unethical sales tactics. Just another big corporation ready to take people money

Advice to Management

follow up with your own promises, Give us Quota relief on vacations like you promised a year ago.. Lower the goal and give us the time to actually help customers.

5. "Retail Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - RSC in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - RSC in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement, Job protection from Union, PTO, opportunity to advance if you're willing to move especially, 401K match 6% I believe

Cons

Attendance policy (there's no sick time), unethical sales coaching, micromanaging,

Advice to Management

AT&T likes to use a coaching model called "Start, Stop, Continue" when they're in their 1:1's. This review will be written in a similar manner.

START:
    -A better way to sell & educate on DTV (in all it's forms). Preferably in a less complicated honest way that customers can understand.
    - Hire managers who have proven more than numbers, honesty, integrity, and considerations goes along way with employee retention, workplace morale, culture, and SALES.
    -Treating those with kids/pregnancies/sickness/family like their outside life doesn't matter-- figure out the point system. It's unrealistic.
    -Implement RMDP again & leadership programs, treat employees like humans and not robots.
    - Coach to actions not numbers
    -Caring about employees well being and not solely if your sales floor will be temporarily staffed

tip**:it would be staffed with ease if management tried putting employees first and caring about their needs as they would want to be at work- that's how it was in my first 3 1/2 years.

STOP:
    CSS (customer service summary's) -they're wrong anyway. E-mail the customer exactly what they got, or make a CSS that's wholistic and accurate printable for those without e-mail.

I have worked for this company for almost 5 years & enjoyed the first 31/2 years. More recently the new management that's been brought to the Minneapolis market functions little like what they ask, and lots like what they want of others. It feels more like a dictatorship than servant leadership. Using threats of getting fired for correcting a manger on something they said that was wrong is not something someone who is trained in effective management does. The first 3 1/2 years my experience was managers that truly wanted you to succeed and inspired to want to do better in the current role and eventually a promotion. I learned a ton from this role and wouldn't change the past 1/2 of decade, I hope this review goes towards constructive criticism into making the AT&T Minneapolis market better.

They have unrealistic expectations for DTV that provenly pressures reps & promotes dishonest selling out of fear of getting written up. The systems required to sell these products/services don't always work or, they accidentally don't track your sales. - - This happened to me and no one did anything about it when brought up to management. Kind of a big deal when it's the most important metric AND what you get paid the most on.

CONTINUE:
    Investing in the integrated solutions, it's the way of the future with the way VZW, Sprint, & T-Mobile and others are going.

I hope things get better and if management changes their style of coaching and leadership I would recommend this as a good place to work.

6. "Admin Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, competitive pay; laid back work environment

Cons

limited chance for advancement; inconsistency in treating employees and must belong to the union yet I received more benefits before we were union

Advice to Management

Managers need more consistency for treating employees. It seems like the people that produce or attend the least get the most attention and reward

"Getting to be a mess...."

Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, discounts, etc. Work from home is available but the company actually seems to be going away from it. Good mid-level management.

Cons

Growing size is only making the job more confusing. Processes are terrible and confusing. Projects go nowhere. You feel like you are not doing any actual work.

Advice to Management

Clean it up. Need better processes, more teams splitting up the massive projects that are being given to IT. Get better people in there.

8. "The role is great, it beats being at a store."

Current Employee - In Home Expert in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - In Home Expert in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More opportunities to create more sales and a better experience for the customer.
    Better scheduling than a retail store.
    You get to know your city since 60% of your time is spent driving.

Cons

Its a salary position and sometimes you’ll work more than 10 hours a day, plus being micromanaged makes you lose motivation.
    Sometimes weather is not convenient and we still have to be out.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for the customer to change carriers.

"Pay Cuts Pay Cuts Pay Cuts For Everyone!!!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money to start, good benefits, fun environment to work in (with your co-workers, not anything the company does for you), that’s about it

Cons

God awful work life balance, goals change like the weather (always to the detriment of the employees and not leadership), no room for growth outside of retail, bad communication from mid and upper management, sell you dreams and give you nightmares instead, too much interaction with people who were not my direct report, unrealistic expectations and then accountability for not reaching expectations, not enough women holding leadership positions, not enough people of color holding leadership positions despite a lot of talk about “diversity”, WAY too much change to keep employees in rhythm and help them be successful,

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and your company will have better success, cutting pay and asking for more work to be done is not what a talented candidate wants in an employee trust me I am one

10. "Business Recievables Bloomington"

Current Employee - Business Receivables, Process and Research in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, team members help each other, managers are fair in work assessment, diverse group, always something new or changing, so the job stays fresh.

Cons

Pay. You’ll find lots of folks with second jobs

Advice to Management

Apply pressure to get contact signed! Don’t change your management style, it’s positive and engaging.

AT&T Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your positive comments and acknowledging the diversity and teamwork we pride ourselves on. We’re always working to improve life at AT&T, and your feedback is important to us.

Showing 68 of 19,510 reviews