AT&T NOC Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 890 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 503 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1082 reviews)

• "very long hours; no work-life balance" (in 312 reviews)

1. "Typical Corporate Dysfunction"

Former Employee - NOC Tech/Network Center Technician in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - NOC Tech/Network Center Technician in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, relatively laid back considering the job itself should be more involved,

Cons

Lack of vision, failure to listen to sound reasoning to fix issue even when solutions are staring them in the face, management only cares about themselves and thus don't actually want or challenge people to really grow or do well. For those who like to work in a thriving environment and care about the quality of work that you do you will not do well here. It's why I choose to make less money at smaller less dysfunctional companies where I can derive satisfaction from my job. This is also semi hard to get out of and into other areas of the company ( the NOC ). Badly implemented 12 hour schedules that needlessly inhibit life.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the corporate game, have a little bit of spine and actually encourage your staff to excel instead of the opposite.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Pay and Benefits better than most

Cons

No training. No effort made to develop people.
    Extremely limited opportunity for advancement.
    Poor managers
    Poor communications between departments
    No recognition for excellent work.
    Too much focus on numbers, quantity and NOT quality.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to develop and train your people so they can resolve problems, and in the end help the business succeed. Improve the evaluation process so that it reflects the quality of work that someone is actually doing. This will help in getting rid of employees (managers and non-managers) who are really doing nothing. So often in the past, the layoffs got rid of the best people and the company was left with the worst. Promote the right people, not someone who is good at the B.S., but someone who can listen and exercise good judgment. Effective managers need to understand the business and what their people are doing in order to plan and develop their group.

"Absolute Worst Job of My Career"

Former Employee - AT&T NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - AT&T NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Pay and benefits are better than most.

Cons

I worked in the Atlanta NOC for 5 years supporting multi-million dollar business and government customers (router and internet connection support). Management ran this group into the ground...no plan, no ideas and no leadership. We had no training or development, and received very poor support from the higher Tier support groups (which should have helped develop the group). With the phone constantly ringing due to not enough people, it was nearly impossible to learn "on the job." Management was focussed on numbers, how many calls or tickets did someone work. They did not look at if the problem got fixed or if the customer was satisfied (in many cases no). Management did not respect or reward good work. I had to endure working horrible shifts due to my low seniority and it being a 24/7 center. When I was on 2nd shift, the manager would try to force me to work a double shift by 'forgetting' to schedule a next/3rd shift. There was no opportunity for advancement because upper management would not release us (the immediate managers would lie and deny this). Management generally behaved nasty towards their people, and would make themselves look good by making the people under them look bad (office politics at its worst). All in all, a horrible job and experience. This is not how a Telecom leader should be run.

Advice to Management

AT&T needs better management/leadership. Just because someone is good at the B.S. does not mean they will be a good manager. They need to listen and understand what their people are doing.A better evaluation process would help identify the ones that need to go.