AT&T Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1115 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 325 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Call Center Manager Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

leading others to be successful at their job
    meeting and exceeding performance targets
    traveling the world to partner with various sites

Cons

the pressure and threats from leadership to meet daily sell targets

Advice to Management

Be a leader to your employees, do not just manage employees

2. "Technical Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place for knowledge share to customers

Cons

Heavy internal processes, lots of costs to cover on deals.

Advice to Management

Thin the middle management and watch who they are looking to eliminate. I have seen a number of very intelligent resources get laid off due to a spreadsheet change.

"Pays Enough to Be Miserable"

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great.
    Benefits are the best you can find.
    So much overtime you can easily make $5-6k a month.
    Discounts on services.
    Adoption Assistance.
    Education Reimbursement

Cons

High Stress:
    —> You are constantly looking over your shoulder, even when you aren’t doing wrong, because the second you make a human error it’s straight to discipline.
    —> You are expected to meet metrics each day that are increased every so often ranging from amount of time spent on a job, if a customer calls customer service within 30 days, how many jobs you “Jep” (Your customer wasn’t home, Need a lineman, have no equipment, etc), customer surveys, and the list goes on.
    —> Some days you are bulk loaded with installs/repairs, sometimes it’s nice, but mostly they are back to back appointments, so taking lunch could throw you behind. Which leads to the next topic.
    —> Customers are great and why we have jobs, however, they are one of the most stressful of the job. Sometimes they are so frustrated with issues because customer service dropped the ball, their bill is wrong, another tech performed poorly, etc. Technicians literally walk into a battlefield completely unarmed, get yelled and cursed at, but haven’t even shook their hand and announced your name. The more you spend listening to their issues/insults will result in time taken away from how fast you complete the job and likely will receive a poor survey; The poor survey is graded on the technician, however, the customer is so angry that they blotch it all, because they see them as AT&T, not an individual.

Software Systems & Production:

Multi-Billion Dollar company, one of the largest in the world, but you wouldn’t believe how often we have outages on the back-end from poor decisions made by our development team. Developers will push updates that will bring down everything we use, not always for a few minutes, but sometimes a few hours. Get where I’m going with this?
    Sometimes it is the systems we use to do our jobs.
    Sometimes it is the firmware in our equipment.
    This all affects our Efficiency, DE, Quality metrics, Surveys, etc. Guess who takes the blame at the end of the month? The Technician and First Line Manager...
    Every 15 minutes a technician wastes can be 2-6% deducted from their 100% scale for efficiency. From start to finish to complete their job through our software can easily take 20 minutes per job. Even longer with outages.

Last to get wet, First to drown:

When I first started, it was just as bad as it is now, but their was a brief period that everyone in my district was..... Happy! We had a Vice President that came from Directv after the purchase and he was great! Our director came from the merger as well, and the vibe instantly changed. Everyone had a smile when you walked in, our shop was remodeled with even a new lounge area with coffee machines, TVs in every wall, some to watch, and some to acknowledge technicians.
    They had the mentality of “What can we do do make your job easier.” They made it acceptable to idle in our trucks enough to periodically cool off from the heat. We had new tools to replace our weak/broken ones and managers even brought us cold drinks frequently during the summer! We even got to know our district (Area) manager on a first name basis with cookouts, new customer service training, etc. Everyone performed well and did it with a smile, I think we were even setting records?
    But...
    Our VP took over another department and another took his chair by a lateral transfer......
    Within a month there was an attempt to lay off hundreds of technicians with an announcement a week from Christmas. Several managers were let go.
    Within a matter of weeks our shops became dark and cold again. Summer time came and managers weren’t even bringing drinks to cool us off, but a few did one week out of their own pockets, because our VP said it wasn’t a productive use of capital dollars, and that led to a 5 minute allotment to idle between each job (which can take up to 4-5 hours) Our second line now talks to us, but forces his managers to turn against his techs, because somebody has to.
    Technicians trade supplies everyday because budgets were frozen to boost quarterly numbers for stockholders.
    We have little stock of equipment because of trying to cut cost of production to get by with what we have (Even though we’re basically making water out of thin air at this point)
    Bonus system was changed, drove the requirements to get it sky high, but lowered the payout, so it’s not worth killing yourself over to get anymore.
    The list goes on....

Nobody is really happy anymore, just there to put food on the table, because leaving would cause financial ruin.
    My cons greatly overcome my pros, because this job does provide a high quality personal life that you can’t just stop cold turkey. They know that.
    Stockholders are happy. Executives are happy.
    We’re only a number that takes from their multi million dollar bonuses they get.

Advice to Management

They walk on water, they don’t need advice from a “nobody.”
    Guess make your people happy and care more about them than the money. We carry the operation on our backs, atleast let us have more than 5 minutes to cool off with a provided Gatorade?

4. "Advanced Technical Support (Call Center)"

Former Employee - Advaned Technical Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Advaned Technical Support in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training and floor support. Decent pay for an unskilled position. Phenomenal insurance for bargained employees.

Cons

The Union makes it very difficult to get fired, so the best workers are on even footing with the worst workers who've learned to game the rules. Management shuffles the culture far too frequently. During my 9 years there, the culture shifted from knowledge-oriented to script-oriented, and the quality of support customers experienced suffered considerably afterward. Lowest levels of management are generally good, but area managers and directors are too often condescending jerks.

Advice to Management

Stop threatening to shut down an entire center when employees voice their concerns about a major culture shift; it's manipulative and insulting.

5. "Retail Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, discounts, vacations, pay, and pay again

Cons

Everything else is absolutely terrible.

Advice to Management

Hypocrisy is horrible in this company. As an ASM you are expected to motivate and develop a team of sales representatives with positive reinforcement, only to get on a call where you are specifically reminded that you are easily replaceable and lookout for the next surplus.

6. "Good luck... Not worth the 1 star rating I had to give."

Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not working there. Did make great friends with other employees. Feel sorry for a few of them still there and trying to get out.

Cons

Communication is nonexistent. Funny since AT&T started as a communications company. Base pay is below state and national averages. Benefits arent great but not the worst. You are just a number and always will be regardless of how well you do with this company. Constant lay offs and zero job security. CWA union is in bed with the company and does not represent employees as promised. Upper management consists of multiple people on CWA payroll.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees and your customers like you value them.

7. "DirecTV jobs and service experience"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician/Field Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Highest quality equipment and programming available. Best picture, best pay, best everything. I worked/lived in Oklahoma during my employment and I only lost signal maybe a couple of times a year. Again, I built my own system and I built it to DirecTV standards and code... new coax, new wall plates...new everything is critical to performance.
    Pay was fantastic, bonuses are amazing...providing you do all that you are supposed to in the company, all bonuses were obtainable.

Cons

Company utilized subcontractors, and you may not get someone who is willing to put in the time or materials to do the job properly. This means a sub-standard install... loss of signal.... crappy service and unhappy customers.

Biggest con: Company was bought out by AT&T. ATT sucks on every level.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like gold. Happy employees means happy customers.

8. "No love lost"

Former Employee - Strategic Partner Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Strategic Partner Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discounts on cell service and Directv, benefits were OK but union workers have better benefits than Management

Cons

Toss you out like trash when they are done with you
    Some supervisors are awesome, some (like my last one) are ego maniacs who don't care one bit about their people

Advice to Management

Get to know your people, show you care. We are not disposable...oh wait!! Yes we are.

9. "Mobility and Entertainment Center"

Current Employee - Frontline Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Frontline Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    We are able to work with the union
    Nice atmosphere
    Pay raises

Cons

Quality of calls for a sales environment are challenging.

Advice to Management

Go above and beyond for your employees. If you notice they are not meeting metrics go over calls with them to see how they can improve.

10. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work at with room to grow, and to earn what you deserve. Great benefits, 401k, discounts on service and on accessories. Perfect job if you like working with people and the latest technology. I’m very happy with the opportunities at this job.

Cons

Some days can be grueling if your store is short staffed. Pressure to exceed or at least meet goals (not a problem if you are money motivated). From what I’ve heard, the money used to be better.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your focusing on what motivated individuals. Some are not driven by what others are.

Showing 86 of 19,529 reviews