AT&T Reviews in Pleasanton, CA | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours (in 1033 reviews)

• Life consuming, no work life balance (in 297 reviews)

1. "Tech Friendly"

Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects and technologies, Flexible and worth while IT firm

Cons

Finding more stable local clients

Advice to Management

Invest more

2. "More good than bad"

Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work from home policy. Rarely work past 5 PM or have to do events off hours. Generous time off. Reasonable sales goals. Most have families so they understand the work life balance equation.

Cons

Low pay for Bay Area/California in general. The compensation plan will vary widely from year to year. Sell the same thing and one year make $50K in commission and another year make $20K. Also, every customer service and billing issue will get pushed to you from the people that are supposed to be handling them.

3. "not the best place to work but not the worst either"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at AT&T (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work environment, easy sales

Cons

high sales pressure poor commission structure

4. "Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Such a large corporation provides a plethora of jobs to transfer into.

Cons

Slow to adopt technological changes.

"A good learning experience and would do it again."

Former Employee - ATT Customer Service Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - ATT Customer Service Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Actually worked from 1990-office closed (4 years).
    I worked in a call center 4 years too long. The only reason I stuck it out was because the pay was half decent. In the break room, they had wall phones to make unlimited calls. When I first started working, there were incentives( for being monitored) and if you were given a "well done"- they gave you a pass to join the conference room for pizza. And other times points awarded could add up to Disneyland passes and hotel stays and many other free items. Co-workers I knew, were the nicest, which made life there bearable. I was thinking about changing jobs, more than once. Then my luck began to change. The tv in the break room blurted out " 10, 000 layoff for AT&T. No wonder there were no supervisors around before the start of that day. Then I do my happy dance. I just needed a shove to motivate myself to a way better salary and job. Heard through the grapevine that AT&T had a much better work environment, it just depended on the individual work site. A benefit I enjoyed was weekends off. This job was a good learning experience. It reinforced some of my college courses, such as management and psychology, dealing with diversity and people. And this job can possibly save you a ton on phone bills. I found being hooked to a phone 40hours a week had created a strong aversion to phones.

Cons

Like any business, it's the need for speed to get each customer off the phone, attaining sales, satisfying concerns, & delivering the bucket list of requirements on every call. Ok. No sweat. But when a client had a real issue, pass the buck to other office to rework it and onto the next call. Nothing is perfect, but when you notice a pattern of clients slipping through those reworks, you feel for the old lady that had crossed lines and high charges for over a year. And sad....all it took were a few callson her bill, common sense and talking with the local company ....problem solved! It was worth the dent in my call volume. The job wasn't the real problem. It was the companys'. tactics. Slowly everything from earned lunches, points, drawing for free baseball tickets..began to disappear. Christmas Eve, our center was the only one taking calls, while the other centers had parties. It wasn't called Cell Block H for nothing. Moral was down. Then after the holidays came the layoff news and we handled the reworks until the placed closed up. One worker had less than a year to retire and they made her stay till the closing. Others decided to move with the company...to Right To Work States. Some were not happy with the move, not to mention the cut in pay. While our office did the reworks, higher ups were harassing employees for petty things, trying to get them to quit. They tried this game with me and I am a team player, so let's play! Pretty bad work ethics to rob someone of a little severance pay. Years later I happened across a site like "Glass Door" and found former employees rating AT&T. I was shocked and disgusted to read that many others went through the same experiences of harassment, through the years.

Advice to Management

There's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Appreciate the good ones, learn from the bad ones, and prepare to learn more with the ugly. Learn to breathe. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Technician in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits
    raise every 6 months
    training

Cons

cant really think of any conss

Advice to Management

none

7. "My experience at AT&T"

Current Employee - Retail Management in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Management in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the biggest advantages working for AT&T is the amount of different people you can network with.
    In the national retail channel there was always communication from the Director to the Account Executives.
    Great opportunity to work with multiple colleagues who have different skills and are willing to share experiences.
    Great company to gain corporate experience.

Cons

Compensation was a big con. Felt that you were not compensated for the amount of work you do. I am also a firm believer that compensation should not be a huge factor in your work, but at the same time you need to take care of your family.

8. "Outstanding opportunities for advancement and excellent career development."

Former Employee - Provisioning Engineer and Customer Service Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a great variety of fields to move and try throughout your career.

Cons

Too many contractors coming and going and the training for the contractors is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Hire more permanent employees and you will have a more dedicated and hard working employee.

"Completely incompetent management suffering from denial & inferiority complex."

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place if you win the manager lottery.

Cons

Good people and Subject Mater Experts are leaving at a record rate. Incompetent “buddy system” managers are moving up and allowing the 80% to run the place. Write up’s are thought of as a “coaching tool”. Most managers are MIA with very little technical knowledge. If you try and resolve an issue with a skip level you are written up for “going around your manager”. If you’re not your manager’s favorite or on a “high impact project” you’re told you have no chance of receiving a favorable review. Do-as-I-say and not-as-I-do is the standard with managers. 90-95% of the time Area Managers and Directors are late for meetings or MIA altogether even missing their own staff calls. Honesty and integrity do not apply to them and when challenged managers will fabricate policies that don’t even exist. Most issues are from the Executive Directors down to the Area Managers. Currently (as of July 2013) those managers are on a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) that they like to call a “3 in 3” plan and not a PIP (denial) even in the white pages of the 3 in 3 it states it’s a “performance improvement program”. Outages of network even E911 are “overlooked” to meet schedules and presented as “risk”. Bell Labs was once known for having some of the best and brightest what happen? The end justifies the means at the new AT&T rethink impossible.

Advice to Management

Immediately place a freeze on PIP’s, write-ups, and terminations. Build an in house review team that troubled employees can contact separate from HR to help understand why AT&T and her management are failing that individual. The current 3rd party EEO line is garbage. Work to relocate that individual if humanly possible under a different management structure and try to save that human asset or human resource. A lot of time and money goes into each employee and simply “trashing them” should be a very last resort. Look long and hard at your current management teams for managers who have a higher than normal staff churn. Challenge each group to reduce their scheduled meeting by 20% by the end of 2013. Less is more and staff will have more time to complete critical training which will reduce technical errors within project schedules. Separate out a small Subject Matter Expert team to randomly review work ensuring the schedule doesn’t drive outages and the acceptable risk level is warranted. Currently the managers and Directors operate with in a “conflict of interest” asked to drive the schedule and operate safely even approving their own teams work. Lead by example and show up to meetings on time. Treat each employee equally without playing favorites. End the MPP program current management “blindside” reports with negative statements and do not understand how to properly utilize the MPP tool. The MPP currently causes more harm than good. Simply stopping the MPP program will increase your Net Promoter Score overnight. Update your office spaces, the area I work in is embarrassing with sections of carpet pulled up, no Wi-Fi for visiting customers and broken chairs all over the place. Please stop telling staff how much JD Powers Associates thinks of AT&T and work towards your staff liking AT&T. Always remember “nothing changes if nothing changes”. Utilize some of the Leading with Distinction concepts by removing the “manage by fear”, “because I said”, and “we have always done it this way” mind sets. Try and reduce the amount of managers that are promoted simply because they have been with AT&T for 20-30 years, they bring very little innovation and tend to “run off” anyone who makes them feel inferior.

10. "Solid company, but culture maintains much of it's over 100-year old past."

Former Employee - Technician in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still a big name in corporate America, with good market share. Stock prices have been amazingly strong the past few years.

Cons

Not much training for managers. Many are lacking in social/emotional skills and ill-prepared to lead. Its not their fault, upper management doesn't value them enough to properly equip them.

Advice to Management

Pay more real attention (not just lip-service) to the fact that your Human Resources are your greatest assets. Listen to them, trust them, and follow through. You have had very poor attempts at doing this in the past, and ignored the potential for greatness.

Showing 19 of 17,482 reviews