AT&T U-Verse Premises Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Worked at AT&T for 3 years."

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, fun to learn and be out and about.

Cons

Customer service can get old, working with AT&T's old plant can be annoying.

2. "Positive"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Great pay with regular increases

Cons

Late nights are very rough on family life

Advice to Management

Lead well

3. "Bay Area Prem Tech Installer"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work on your own
    Once you learn the systems, it’s easy work

Cons

Micro managing (varies by manager)
    Company practices are counterproductive
    Not a lot of room to move up unless you get lucky

Advice to Management

Stop having people who don’t know the job, tell us how to do it

4. "U-Verse Premises Technician"

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat freedom (besides the GPS tracking) and the independence of being on your own. Something new every day. Not stuck inside all day but that can be a con to some because of the outside elements. Easy job to do just don't get complacent. the pay is ok and the benefits are pretty great. Customers are pretty cool for the most part because nobody really gets angry at the cable guy only the cable company.

Cons

No real upward movement in the company unless you know someone or know how to cheat the numbers. there isn't a set schedule so you can't leave unless all work is completed by everyone in your area even if your assigned jobs are completed. you're not guaranteed 8 hours. Management will take their time or sometimes not help you if you lose tools or lack the resources to do your job effectively. Their wage balance isn't fair they say that they will pay you a higher amount for experience and education but will lie on what the scale is. You can end up signing on making 17 an hour with experience and a degree and someone else will come up behind you making 20 an hour w/o any experience or a degree right off the street. It takes a mandatory 2 years just to change garages and even after that there's no guarantee. Do not work on the east side (Wallisville or crown location) of Houston. can't speak for the other areas. management can be real a-holes at times.

Advice to Management

Understand that your technicians are working as hard as they can for you dealing with the elements and sometimes not often rude customers to provide excellent customer service (and to make you look good). trust in their ability to get the job done. if you see bad habits address those with training, not write-ups that will ruin their chances of a lateral movement. Treat them as your employee and not a family member or friend that just makes things more confusing and complicated. Be empathetic as a human should be, they're not just ATTUID number. Lastly, leave your personal issues at home, techs are already going through a lot on a day to day adding more stress will not help get the result that you want from them. Be encouraging to push them forward and don't be an a-hole.

5. "Premise Technicain"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is higher than most residential installation work, but it requires more knowledge. Get to work around a diverse set of people.

Cons

Management is pretty trash. Constant group meetings were nothing positive is said even though well over half the team is easily meeting there numbers. Having to constantly fix something that customer service should have been able to resolve. In 5 1/2 years I constantly was in the top 10% of the garage and I always felt like I was going to get wrote up for something outside of my control.

Advice to Management

Management training should come down from a director level. If 2 managers pull qualities on the same job the out come of those qualities should not very greatly. Also as I said before I constantly ran above average numbers and never felt safe in my position. The morning meetings are alway focused on negatives. If something is a trend address it in the group; if not, dress it with the person its directed.

"Not for the employees"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was OK. Benefits were are along the line of industry standards.

Cons

Constantly being forced to work overtime, no real home life. Unrealistic expectations. Everything is your fault no matter what.

Advice to Management

All need to be on the same page when it comes to expectations.

"Pays Enough to Be Miserable"

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great.
    Benefits are the best you can find.
    So much overtime you can easily make $5-6k a month.
    Discounts on services.
    Adoption Assistance.
    Education Reimbursement

Cons

High Stress:
    —> You are constantly looking over your shoulder, even when you aren’t doing wrong, because the second you make a human error it’s straight to discipline.
    —> You are expected to meet metrics each day that are increased every so often ranging from amount of time spent on a job, if a customer calls customer service within 30 days, how many jobs you “Jep” (Your customer wasn’t home, Need a lineman, have no equipment, etc), customer surveys, and the list goes on.
    —> Some days you are bulk loaded with installs/repairs, sometimes it’s nice, but mostly they are back to back appointments, so taking lunch could throw you behind. Which leads to the next topic.
    —> Customers are great and why we have jobs, however, they are one of the most stressful of the job. Sometimes they are so frustrated with issues because customer service dropped the ball, their bill is wrong, another tech performed poorly, etc. Technicians literally walk into a battlefield completely unarmed, get yelled and cursed at, but haven’t even shook their hand and announced your name. The more you spend listening to their issues/insults will result in time taken away from how fast you complete the job and likely will receive a poor survey; The poor survey is graded on the technician, however, the customer is so angry that they blotch it all, because they see them as AT&T, not an individual.

Software Systems & Production:

Multi-Billion Dollar company, one of the largest in the world, but you wouldn’t believe how often we have outages on the back-end from poor decisions made by our development team. Developers will push updates that will bring down everything we use, not always for a few minutes, but sometimes a few hours. Get where I’m going with this?
    Sometimes it is the systems we use to do our jobs.
    Sometimes it is the firmware in our equipment.
    This all affects our Efficiency, DE, Quality metrics, Surveys, etc. Guess who takes the blame at the end of the month? The Technician and First Line Manager...
    Every 15 minutes a technician wastes can be 2-6% deducted from their 100% scale for efficiency. From start to finish to complete their job through our software can easily take 20 minutes per job. Even longer with outages.

Last to get wet, First to drown:

When I first started, it was just as bad as it is now, but their was a brief period that everyone in my district was..... Happy! We had a Vice President that came from Directv after the purchase and he was great! Our director came from the merger as well, and the vibe instantly changed. Everyone had a smile when you walked in, our shop was remodeled with even a new lounge area with coffee machines, TVs in every wall, some to watch, and some to acknowledge technicians.
    They had the mentality of “What can we do do make your job easier.” They made it acceptable to idle in our trucks enough to periodically cool off from the heat. We had new tools to replace our weak/broken ones and managers even brought us cold drinks frequently during the summer! We even got to know our district (Area) manager on a first name basis with cookouts, new customer service training, etc. Everyone performed well and did it with a smile, I think we were even setting records?
    But...
    Our VP took over another department and another took his chair by a lateral transfer......
    Within a month there was an attempt to lay off hundreds of technicians with an announcement a week from Christmas. Several managers were let go.
    Within a matter of weeks our shops became dark and cold again. Summer time came and managers weren’t even bringing drinks to cool us off, but a few did one week out of their own pockets, because our VP said it wasn’t a productive use of capital dollars, and that led to a 5 minute allotment to idle between each job (which can take up to 4-5 hours) Our second line now talks to us, but forces his managers to turn against his techs, because somebody has to.
    Technicians trade supplies everyday because budgets were frozen to boost quarterly numbers for stockholders.
    We have little stock of equipment because of trying to cut cost of production to get by with what we have (Even though we’re basically making water out of thin air at this point)
    Bonus system was changed, drove the requirements to get it sky high, but lowered the payout, so it’s not worth killing yourself over to get anymore.
    The list goes on....

Nobody is really happy anymore, just there to put food on the table, because leaving would cause financial ruin.
    My cons greatly overcome my pros, because this job does provide a high quality personal life that you can’t just stop cold turkey. They know that.
    Stockholders are happy. Executives are happy.
    We’re only a number that takes from their multi million dollar bonuses they get.

Advice to Management

They walk on water, they don’t need advice from a “nobody.”
    Guess make your people happy and care more about them than the money. We carry the operation on our backs, atleast let us have more than 5 minutes to cool off with a provided Gatorade?

8. "Premise technician"

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at AT&T (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. Some freedom

Cons

Company constantly making cuts. Your job never feels secure

"Just isn’t worth it anymore"

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money pay is decent but benefits take more of it from you every contract. Pro if you hate your family you’ll love this job working on average 10 hours a day you get to miss a lot of their bull like little league games, anniversaries, and births. I don’t see any point in reading this since guys keep quitting and they haven’t hired anyone in at least 2 years. Go to the railroad like everyone else.

Cons

Pay is okay but they keep adding more work responsibilities that other departments used to do (and then downsizing them), and other companies (dtv) without any sort of compensation. Our pay for medical also keeps increasing however our pay increase this last contract was a laughable 0.52 cents over 2 years. This place micromanages like nothing I’ve ever seen constantly hovering physically and electronically. They expect 98% efficiency when the tools and materials needed are not available. They wait for you to break one of the many micro-infractions in order to write you up so they “have the power” if you hear anything good or positive hear it’s lip service don’t expect it or anything like it to happen. We are constantly threatened about being forced back into 6 day work weeks and averaging 10 hours a day. 80% of the customers are irate when we show up because we are their 3rd appointment because the first one was missed the second somehow got cancelled and the third time was a threat to leave after waiting over a week for someone to come to their home with no compensation for lost time or services. Constant vague threats from “upper management” it doesn’t matter what level manager your talking to it’s always “their boss” that’s the problem. So no accountability unless it’s something they can blame on you then it’s your accountability. It’s a 7 day a week company so unless your high enough in seniority you are working every Saturday and Sunday except for 1 a month. First line managers are just as screwed as us which will make them either cool and reasonable to work with. Or their giant snakes that are always shady and throwing everyone possible under the bus to make themselves look better. Also zero chance of any sort of upward progress within this company from this department. Managers are being downsized and surplused. Other departments don’t want us, and by 2020 they want to cut 1/3 of the work force and eventually replace us all with even less paid contractors.

Advice to Management

First line managers good luck, second line listen to your people, Randall Stevens is deservedly one of the lowest rated ceo’s at this time

10. "Premise Technician"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Arnold, MO
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Arnold, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good I suppose

Cons

Everything else was pretty terrible.

Advice to Management

Change everything.