AT&T Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
6,656 Ratings

14,381 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits/vacation time (in 740 reviews)

• Great benefits along with a flexible work life balance makes this a great job for someone who is both a student and employee (in 413 reviews)

Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 893 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 256 reviews)

1. "AT&T is a great company, but it's like a tall kid in puberty that doesn't understand how giant he is."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company itself allows you to work from home, work from a remote location, or use varieties of innovative workforce management. They'll do things that no other company will; possibly because this company has been around longer than most people have been alive, and there were workforce methods back then (telecommuting being the biggest) that have survived until now. There are a TON of places to go within the company, be it landline or wireless, and I don't think anyone's come close to a salary ceiling yet. The company has a lot of money and doesn't mind sharing it with the employees.

Cons

Because it's such a ridiculously massive clusterfrack of a company, it's really difficult to get anything company-related done. Do you need a job reference? Good luck! Want to verify your employment, for a check loan, or another job? LOL, HAVE FUN. It took me FOUR HOURS to get ahold of a single human person at HR, who then proceeded to tell me that she worked in a different department and that I needed to call AT&T landline HR. She gave me a number that was disconnected. The company is so big that it doesn't know about the other half of itself.

Advice to Management

I think the management needs to look into making the company mesh better as a whole.

"Ma Bell isn`t Grandma Bell yet."

Current Employee - Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The company has a defined pension plan along with a 401k.Wages are ok along with a fair benefits package.

Cons

Your just a number, in a big sea of numbers.

Advice to Management

Best practice comes from the bottom up.

"at&t works for the future"

Current Employee - Facility Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Facility Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Awesome health, vision, dental, mental & chemical dependancy benefits. 401 K, etc

Cons

Not very family oreintated. Hard to get time off work for emergency situations. If there is 10" of ice outside we are still expected to be here!

Advice to Management

Implement emergency time so that we can go pick up sick children, have parent/teacher conferences. Look into more employees being allowed to work at home & or implement 4 10 hour work days to help with gas prices.

5. "A T & T is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Large, very successful company. Not too much risk of being laid off in these bad economic times. I have very good managers and supervisors that respect me and my work. I have a very good health care plan which I hope we can keep. We will see after the latest contract negotiations coming up in a few months.

Cons

I can't think of many downsides. I wish the salaries at my place of business were more competitive with the rest of the A T & T employees.

Advice to Management

Since A T & T is making huge profits, pls don't cut our healthcare benefits. They are very important to us and our families.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Technical Specialist
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist

Pros

The pay is good and the benefits are outstanding. I am currently considered to be "unskilled" and "uneducated" so making $25 an hour is pretty darn good! The tuirtion reimbursement program is allowing me to complete my degree and I only have to pay for books. In my opinion there is no other company I would rather be working for at this time.

Cons

Of course the downside is always going to be the stability of your job. There is always a lot of movement and a lot of downsizing and you just pray that it is not you this time. I guess if the highest paid exec would not take their huge bonus every year, it might save some jobs.

Advice to Management

Do you really need million dollar bonuses and private jets? The little people are what make this company what it is and we should definately get the respect we deserve. Stop treating us like a number in a headcount.

7. "AT&T has solid compensation and vision, but can still use improvement."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Architect in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Architect in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Extremely competetive compensation and benefits packages available. The conpany has a great diversity in job available that you could bid on and move to.

Cons

Higher than average compensation makes it difficult to entertain moving to another company. The work pace is getting faster with an ever changing process related to multiple mergers in a relatively short period of time. Too much out-sourcing that make workig with off-shore co-workers difficult due to time-zone issues.

Advice to Management

Try to keep work local and in house. Rely on the workers skills and ability to get the work done that is needed. Overall compensation is good. However, the annual raises have not matched or even kept pace with inflation. Thre needs to be some effort made to try to keep employees on track with costs that are rising faster than their compensation.

8. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in Houston, TX

Pros

Everyone that I have spoken with about AT&T as a company has actually given excellent reviews. Some actually rave about the company. Its kinda funny because they all seem to have 20+ years of service and that might be why its not really easy to get into. People tend to approach this job with the attitude of sticking around. In my new-hire class everyone keeps talking about retiring from this place. Speaking of retiring most of our instructors are retired AT&T employees and that says alot when your retirees just cant seem to stay away.

Cons

I dont really know yet. Overtime is wide open so I dont have a lot of personal time, but I'm not really complaining as that can be good and bad.

Advice to Management

Keep Up the good work folks

9. "AT&T pretty cool place to work for"

Current Employee - Associate IT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Associate IT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Benefit package is really nice compared to other companies
    Communication within the company is pretty good, considering how big it is
    There are a lot of opportunities for leadership
    Lots of training
    People there are for the most part are really fun to work with
    Really big on diversity in the work place
    Senior Leadership really good about having meetings with the company and taking questions from employees

Cons

You might not always agree with the company's political agenda in Washington (anti-net neutrality ect)
    Time management systems suck, you'll enter your time every week into 3 different systems
    Everything is an acronym. Which can be really confusing sometimes, specially when one acronym has multiple meanings

Advice to Management

Please try to consolidate some of the applications the company uses.
    Start looking into flex-hours

10. "GREAT"

Current Employee - Call Center in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Call Center in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Fair Leadership
    Great Labor Union realtionship
    Great resources

Cons

Multi-tasking on the jobs
    It is a great place to work, but require quite too many things to Customer Service Reps.

Advice to Management

More training for Service Reps on Technical Troubleshooting
    Provide more tools for Customer Service Reps to analyzing the problems

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great money! Fun, fast paced work environment with potential for advancement. Most managers are hired internally. In my market, they are awesome about working around my school schedule and provide tuition reimbursement. I am always carrying the newest phone or data device and am provided a company phone, as well as offered two personal lines at a discounted rate.

Cons

The retail environment makes it difficult to travel for holidays and depending on staffing, there are little opportunities for weekends off. Although we are supposed to get our schedule a month in advance, there are always last minute changes to the schedule and the union contract allows this based on "business needs" ... the schedule is not bad as long as you are willing to be flexible and don't mind being on your feet or long hours.

Advice to Management

Communicate WHY you decide to make certain changes. If you convince us that there's reasoning behind the initiaves, we will be far more likely to make them happen!

Showing 14,381 of 14,960 reviews