AT&T Reviews | Glassdoor

2,459 reviews

2,459 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Value at company as an employee is not recognized effectively and pay is becoming decreased."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Working with technology and upward mobility which now is leas accesible. Working at different stores in the nation is a plus.

Cons

Hours are terrible and the management are novice to say the least. The pay is always being decreased but taking away from the pay out per commission sales and raising by goals all by keeping same at risk but asking for more work to make it to the goal

Advice to Management

Consider further education and professionalism at all levels

2. "Constant Reorganization"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very high pay scale, great benefits, and strong corporate values from the senior team.

Cons

Very little job security as they have gone through multiple reorgs each year for the past 4 years. Also everything is decision-by-committee which makes it impossible to get things done. And there is no career path for anyone who doesn't live in LA or Dallas.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more autonomy and help them feel more secure in their roles

3. "not a good fit"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Evansville, IN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get your own desk, and the benefits are really great. pay is average for this day in age and for the job that's expected.

Cons

the building is disgusting - fleas, feces, food, etc

anyone above you in management will throw you under the bus for a cookie and a pat on the back, which leads to a stressful and uncomfortable work environment. everyone walks on eggshells and is just trying to not get fired.

Advice to Management

if the only way you can advance your career is to get someone else fired, that's not a positive work environment.

"Selling a Dying Satellite Brand"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Springfield, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount on home and wireless services. 50% discount on most accessories within the store. 401k isn’t too bad compared to other businesses.

Cons

AT&T is a numbers game. A DIRECTV numbers game. That’s all the company cares about: Selling a dying satellite TV service in the age of streaming and has recently started offering the last horse in the race in the form of its own streaming service: DIRECTV NOW.

No longer do you help the customer with tangible or truly helpful services or solutions: You shove DIRECTV down their throats when 9/10 customers know better to avoid it and you have to snake oil your way into promising features and benefits that simply don’t exist, all in demand from management and corporate.

If you choose to work in a retail sales environment, selling and upgrading phones won’t matter whatsoever, despite that being why people pop into the store: It’s all about DIRECTV and selling it to them once or twice. DIRECTV is bleeding money and it’s your job to apply a single bandage on a severed leg.

You join the company to sell wireless. What ends up happening is selling a home service everyone either has or no one wants, for good reason. Also be prepared to sell from your OWN pocket for DIRECTV NOW: The service no one wants in the age of Netflix and Hulu, both of which are cheaper together. Best of luck to anyone who joins the company in 2018.

Advice to Management

Focus on what you’re good at: Wireless. You’re not an entertainment company and the Time Warner merger, if even approved, will cause more bleeding. The company wants to be a jack of all trades, yet masters absolutely NONE. How are you going to manage a full fledged entertainment brand like Time Warner? AOL couldn’t do it and you won’t be able to either. Focus on improving your current services before you gut and destroy an entertainment company.

"Gave my life to AT&T and got nothing in return"

Former Employee - Senior Network Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Network Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits if you were healthy and did not have to take medication

Cons

Can't afford medication needed to stay alive.
    No job security.
    If you did not live in Redmond, WA., Chicago, IL., Atlanta, GA., or Dallas, TX. always worrying about being surplus.
    Just a number to management.
    Gave 17 years to company and was thrown out like trash.
    No room for advancement unless you are in the good ole boys network from the wireline side.
    Managers don't fight for their employees.
    Moving jobs oversees, telling government you are adding jobs in America.

Advice to Management

Get some people who actually care about employees and not just the bottom line.

"A company once great, but has lost its way and identity"

Former Employee - Integrated Solutions Consultant in Clinton, MI
    Former Employee - Integrated Solutions Consultant in Clinton, MI

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Name recognition. Innovative products. A cutting edge company that has always lead the way but it has lost its own way somewhere between iPhone exclusivity loss and Directv. You don’t have to be the biggest to be the best, word of mouth and happy employees speak louder than a free Apple TV or HBO

Cons

Almost everything now days. The oldest company in America used to treat employees like family, now it’s like take it or leave it...everyone’s replaceable. No, we are not!

Advice to Management

Management, has a hard job. As part of the management team we are forced to be the face of board room decisions. Mr. Stevenson and Co should take a line from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when at the end the “Big Wig” if you will realizes sometimes the bottom line doesn’t look as good when you realize the quality and quantity of a truly great work force you are hurting. AT&T in the past 5 years has become the ultimate example of how NOT to treat employees (tenured, educated, loyal) folks. I tried to call AT&T a career, not a job and for a while it held true. You would think AT&T would call the shots, lead by example and keep the very best while attracting the best. However they would rather waste money on new hire trainings knowing it’s a revolving door company now. I’m really sad things have gone this way. My job after 10 years was eliminated, I always planned on coming back but when I tried not only did they offer me less pay for a higher level position but they would not even reinstate my seniority until after 5 years of being back. I was gone less than two years and not by my fault.

Ralph; Randall and whoever need to get back to basics and pull their head out of their behinds and realize what truly impacts the bottom-line. That being individuals receiving fair pay, security and opportunity based on the quality of work an individual contributes. We are not just a CUID, we are what makes this company go.

The amount of people leaving due to pay cuts, job elimination and plain dissatisfaction in regards to recognition is astounding. I’m really sad to have to write this, mostly because it used to be a place I could honestly say I loved working and was always proud to tell people. Now days, not so much. Please fix this Randall, in the long run it will be worth it.

"client solutions executive 2"

I have been working at AT&T full-time

Pros

Fortune 10 company.
    Great training
    If youre connected----you will go far

Cons

Layoffs constantly
    No appreciation for front line
    Old school leadership

"AT&T has lost its identity...from blue collar to young millenials chasing the $$$"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a chair to sit in for 30% of your time at work. Are allowed to use the bathroom at least 3x a day and use the drinking fountain if you get thirsty.

Cons

Very difficult to move up since 80% of managers grew through the sales ranks and unless you were friends with them it's almost impossible to move up. So many of my co-workers have quit over the past 5 years due to the complete disrespect for our position. We are basically the lowest paid workers within AT&Ts corporate structure and instead of helping us to grow they have fired and taken away our workloads to the point were many of us feel unwanted and need to quit so we can have some respect for ourselves again.

Advice to Management

Realize that you make 80% more than we do and most of us are treated like garbage no matter how much we try to protect your backs from CPNI errors and mismanagement of company funds.

9. "Decent place to start as part time"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the company does give you a great opportunity to work part-time where you can make decent hourly anywhere from $13-15 to start plus commission. Id advice if you were to start working within the company start part time and use this as a source of income while you finish school

Cons

there is no real room for growth and once you max out your hourly at $17.50 you are fully relying on your commission to make any money, but the commission pay has gotten worse and worse over the years

"Retail Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Great Hourly Pay
    *Great amount of PTO and vacation time
    *Decent discounts with other large corporations
    *Good discount off of cell phone plan

Cons

*High stress to hit sales goals
    *Low job security
    *Have to request PTO more than a month in advance
    *Ridiculous attendance policy
    *Low work/life balance
    *Harassment by managers
    *Large environment for "old boys club", sexism, and favoritism
    *You pay Union dues but the Union can provide essentially no real support in regards to deterring discipline

Advice to Management

The corporate environment needs to change. The way the discipline structure is set up allows for managers to pick on certain people - especially if they are not in their "group" or playing along with corporate politics. I have seen this at multiple locations and stores. Claims about sexism, harassment, and unfair work procedures by management need to be taken seriously as the company often does not fully investigate these claims and/or takes the managers word over multiple employee accounts. Additionally, the attendance policy needs to be done away with. It is unreasonable. You cannot miss more than 8 days of work in a year or else you will be fired. This includes calling out for being sick or any other reason including car trouble, kids sick, family emergency, etc. Don't get sick for a week because you will be fired. Not a great place to work if you have kids or a large responsibility outside of work. Lots of PTO but hard to take it, must request off by the 5th of each month for the next month. So if you want off in March, you have to request it by February 5th. Also, hard to get promoted past a retail sales manager - must play corporate politics if you want a promotion or any type of recognition. Also, they are working on downsizing stores and management position currently due to their acquirement of Time Warner and DirecTv. More retail locations will be sold out to authorized retailers once the TW acquisition is complete.

Showing 2,459 of 17,222 reviews