AT&T Reviews in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours (in 1081 reviews)

• very long hours; no work-life balance (in 312 reviews)

1. "Good place, good people"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work from home, long holidays

Cons

Poor medical benefits, slow promotion

2. "refuse truck operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

four day work week overtime after that

Cons

some routes are way bigger than others

Advice to Management

even out size of routes

3. "The worst company to work for"

Former Employee - RSM in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - RSM in Richmond, VA

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money if you work from morning to night

Cons

Everything else from work life balance to almost impossible goals

Advice to Management

Start appreciating your managers a lot more they are there from morning to night and through call outs. They are there

4. "Not awesome."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free phone, while you work there

Cons

Benefits suck for part timers
    Time off it seems is such a hurdle

5. "Don't Buy The Image They're Selling"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retail workers are covered by a union contract between CWA and AT&T; this is the only thing that keeps retail workers earning a living wage. Decent discounts on AT&T services.

Cons

Before we start, their plan is to eliminate their corporately owned retail in favor of 3rd party stores who pay minimum wage and offer famously low-quality service. It's part of their plan to grow the company, while eliminating its largest pool of employees. I assume that buy grow "the company", Randy Stevenson means "my profits".

To start, as a Retail Sales Consultant, you will receive 0 days off for your first 6 months. That's right, 0 days of vacation/holiday that you can request off. After 6 months, your days off must be requested a minimum of 1-2 months in advance, so I hope your life includes no surprises. They use a program to build their schedules that will regularly schedule only 1 person to open or close, when the company themselves requires a minimum of 2 people present in the store at all times. You would think that a manager is empowered to fix the schedules for their own stores, but not really. Area managers, more often then not, will require a stores manager to send them an unedited version of the schedule, to make sure that nothing is changed. I have had multiple area managers who would reglarly stop by stores or open the cameras to make sure the right people are in the stores. They have so little trust in their mangers that they are not able to correct the errors of their automated scheduling system, or to rearrange the schedule if an employee has a last minute request.

The cognitive dissidence of management is almost dizzying. Your corporate leaders will endlessly talk about how important it is to take time with customers and give them a good experience while offering them solutions based on their needs, but your area managers will require that you speak about every product, to every customer, regardless of the circumstance. One area manager I had required that every rep in our metro area fill out a spreadsheet to catalog EVERY PERSON THEY SPOKE WITH and why each of those customers did not buy every product we sold. I wish I could say there was an ounce of exaggeration here, but I am keeping it brief and leaving out the really grimy details.

AT&T is constantly cutting commissions. For retail, the hourly is really good, but this is not a regular retail job. In addition to selling phones, up selling services, up selling accessories, transferring everyone's info from phone to phone, making sure they buy X new product that they don't need, having to recover everyone's passwords, and educating customers on their new devices, you will have managers documenting your every move and recording it 2 times a day in case the company wants to ever fire you, you'll need to master a sales system that is constantly crashing, perform ALL troubleshooting on customer phones even though you are not trained to do so, answer all billing questions even though you are not trained to do so, clean your store, greet and triage everyone who enters the store, (while also giving your customer your undivided attention?!) answer the phones, be responsible for all deposits and cash handling, and there are always 2-3 menial tasks which make no money, but appear on an internal report somewhere in the company so your boss will endlessly bug you about it. Don't forget, there are sales goals that your boss must "coach" you on at least once a day, even though the company sends you a daily automated email that calculates your daily goals.

Boy, there is so much more... I worked there successfully for 4 years and saw more than this site can hold.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as if 1) they're the enemy 2) they come to work every day and actively attempt to make no commission income. You'd think the most tiring part of being a front line retail employee would be the customers, but the management wears you down way more. The treatment was thoroughly disrespectful, and the environment was consistently toxic.

6. "Rulers with an iron fist"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only reason I stay here is the 401k match and the fact that I make more than some people I know with a college degree. Having said that our job description gets more lengthy each 6 months and our pay stays the same.

Cons

It's normal to have sales goals and I do enjoy working In sales. However we have goals for even the most insignificant things and the focus changes weekly on what the company wants. Yet they claim to have a clear focus on what they want us to do. Oh you want us to sell "XY and Z"? Great I sold 2 of those! Then they harp on something different. I've been with this company as a sales rep, then a manager, then I stepped back down to a sales rep after a few years due to upper management. I can handle stress, I can handle crappy managers. I've done that my whole life. But this company has gone to crap and cares more about affirmative action and hiring women into leadership positions(let me point out I am a woman) than it does finding good people to lead our market. We have had a ridiculous amount of turn over in managers, area managers, director of sales and VPs. We've had a lot of managers step down as well. I mean what other company has that happen? We finally get someone good and they move them to another market. At&t stresses to managers how important it is to hire the right people when taking on new employees due to how much it costs the company to train people and then they decide 6 months later to get rid of positions and hire part timers vs full timers so they can save money on health benefits etc. They've done that a couple times in the last few years. Which is a lot since it takes 6 months to fully train new reps. I hate this place. Upper management has no clue what it's like to be in our positions OR how to coach anyone to make them better. They only know how to "coach people out". Can't teach them to be better? Oh let's fire them so we can explain why our store or our market isn't selling home security or Directv- we'll blame it all on the reps instead of admitting that the reps get no support. Makes a lot of sense when trying to cover your own butt. Expect to work weekends and nights unless you've got a few years of tenure. Even with my 10 years with the company I am now working nights and weekends because they've cut staffing so much at my store and the ones around me. Do yourself a favor and don't apply here. You'll regret it within a year or so.

Advice to Management

Fix the attendance program by not having attendance points last 12 months, Increase commissions, stop hiring such crappy people into arsm positions and above. Close stores at 8pm vs 9pm in stores that show low traffic at those times and increase staffing to what it used to be. You can't expect us to take time with customers to talk about all of our products when we are over worked and understaffed!

"Good company, but tough on sales reps"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent work environment, but upward mobility within the company requires a move to Dallas or Atlanta. Strong commitment to diversity and ethics.

Cons

Constant changes in retails sales policies. Local managers are inconsistent with how they train and conduct observations. Sales goals nearly unreachable (i.e. the same effort of a sales person today produces about 50% less commission pay than six years ago).

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to understand that their sales staff is what drives their and growth, not just advertising. Lower pay will mean less qualified and enthusiastic sales staff.

8. "SHORT STINT at AT&T"

Former Employee - Senior Telecom Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Telecom Engineer in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good coworkers and IT support.

Cons

Why does IT force reboot in the middle of hi dev ticket.

9. "RAN Wireless Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No supervision nothing to deliver

Cons

Over capacity of workers they will lay off more soon.

Advice to Management

Get new management

"Senior-Tech Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great colleagues. Some positions have the ability to telecommute.

Cons

Ridiculous workload. Lack of management knowledge of work skills and responsibilities. Continuous restructuring and lay-offs to get to work force 2020.

Showing 14 of 18,124 reviews