AT&T Reviews in Saint Petersburg, FL | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 997 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 285 reviews)

1. "Retail Sales Consultant"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are really good. Endless job opportunities AFTER you have done some time at the lower levels and as long as you apply yourself. Good job security.

Cons

Constantly changing commission structure that seems to always be in the company's favor and not my own. Also, sometimes being forced to sell things that don't really seem like good investments of time and resources.

Advice to Management

No advice needed. Everyone seems to be pretty good at trying to adapt and be fair in the ever-changing corporate landscape.

"My experience..."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Great benefits. Half-off on cell phone bill was nice.

Cons

When I was hired by HR, I was told this was not a high pressured sales job...that was a lie. My manager wanted us to trap customers and lie to them just to get a sale. When he did our "on the floor" sales review with a customer, he would stand right behind me and it made it very uncomfortable for me and the person I was helping. If we weren't meeting our sales goals for the month, we were constantly threatened that we would lose our jobs. At our Christmas party, my manager at the time had the party in the back room with all with the employees except for me and one other employee. There was 15+ customers waiting to be served and left us to handle them while they were all laughing very loud in the back. I then got another manager who was totally judgmental. I was sick with an autoimmune disease and ended up in the ER for awhile. I missed more than my allotted days and called the AT&T disability services. They approved my absences and three weeks later she fired me for my missed days. Honestly, she was a homophobe and was looking for any reason to get rid of me, but that's hard to prove in court. I tried to repeal my termination with the "union" but they didn't help either. Since I wasn't there for a year at that time, she said it was due to manager discretion for my termination. And then, AT&T fought for my unemployment and had to have an over-the-phone court hearing with a judge and former manger. The judge caught my former manager lying constantly and I ended up winning my unemployment benefits. This company will literally stab you in the back. The hours sucked. You start from the bottom of the totem pole. When I worked for Lowes in college, they treated everyone equal and fair, especially when it came to work days. My 10 months at AT&T, I had two weekends off and I was reprimanded at for requesting them off. If you're looking to work for this company, good luck of your future endeavors.

Advice to Management

When you hire "managers" try not to hire dictators. Hire leaders that will help the store grow as a team. Also, consider a new work schedule for employees so they have time to enjoy with their family and friends.

3. "Not bad, could be better"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Company device, bill discounts, working with the newest and best phones.

Cons

Bad schedules for new hires, goes by rank. Too many goals to hit.

Advice to Management

Management can't do much. Its more the company as a whole.

"If you love being treated like a child then work here"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't work here unless you want stress and criticism 24/7

Cons

A typical day at work you teach people to use their phones, take payments, explain warranty procedures etc. You to try to sell to these people as well. . A lot of people believe they have a defective phones but most of the time it's user error. This would be great if the market wasn't so saturated but the company is now pushing other items such as digital life, tablets and wireless home phone. (Whatever idiot came up with wireless home phone anyway?). you do all of this with a bullseye on your back do to the unreasonable survey process. A customer can like me and dislike AT&T and it all falls on me. Or they can push the wrong button on the text survey and even explain the mistake in the notes but we still get dinged. There all kinds of different punishments if you miss targets. You have to call all of your customers back from the previous day even bill payments. Makes a lot of sense considering the customer could have already gotten a survey for you. Also you have to stand at the front door now and open the door for each customer that comes in. We are in a strip mall so there are many false alarms. So we are idiots running for the door all day. Management will also take pictures of you without your permission to prove that you were looking somewhere other than the door. The worse the numbers are the worse your life is. Management can't come up with anything that will actually help so just new punishments are assigned. It's something new and worse on a daily basis. It's an extremely oppressive environment. There is no room for advancement unless you want to be an assistant manager or store manager and assign punishment to sales reps. They are now getting rid of all sales support now so I'm sure we will be taken off the floor for these duties and loose what sales that are left. Stay away unless you want to have a miserable existence. Hope I find a new job soon!

Advice to Management

There's no point

5. "Good experience. Have good leadership in my store"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, hands on with new technology. Employee surveys for satisfaction and ways to submit feed back for improving processes. Discounts and tuition reimbursement. Challenging and great opportunity for career development. You will use what you learn he no matter where you go

Cons

If you don't have a good store manager your life will be miserable. Retail schedule. Room for advancement is only in retail sales. Constant change. If you don't sell then you are out. Must find a balance between service and sales or customers especially older ones will take up all of your time and you will lose sales.

Advice to Management

Please have tact and empathy when coaching. You will get more buy in from your reps.

Showing 5 of 16,817 reviews