AT&T Sales Support Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 994 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 285 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a retail worker, I have very good benefits and solid pay with opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Typical retail hours and working weekends.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Good work atmosphere (if you get along with your co-workers)

Cons

Attendance system could use some work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Simple and Sweet"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at AT&T part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, On The Job Training, & Great Benefits.

Cons

Individual store culture not always aligned with company goals

4. "Sales Support Representative AT&T"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, medical, 401K
    Union protections
    Good pay.
    Plentiful advancement opportunities

Cons

Very strict attendance policy.
    Scheduling and approval of Vacation time are based on seniority and "needs of the company,' you will often find saving up vacation for a particular date pointless.
    Work environment is heavily influenced by management (this could be good or bad)
    Training is very vague and teaches you very little about your duties.
    Your workload is directly related to how much the sales representatives incorrectly perform operational tasks.
    Management and Sales reps frequently misunderstand your duties, this is a very thankless position.

Advice to Management

Clearly understand the goals and needs of your SSRs. if you want them managing the customer experience, then make sure that the Sales reps aren't getting away with tons of operational errors that bog down the back office workload.

5. "Good experience, ruined by bad management"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-It offers good pay for retail
    -If you're good at selling (or a favorite of the good old boys club that ran the DC stores), lots of opportunity to move up in the company
    -I learned a lot about operations and audits, which I was able to leverage into a new job at a different company whose values much more closely matched my own
    -At least when I was there, I got a full 50% discount on my AT&T bill. Who knows if they still offer this though.

Cons

Where to begin....
    -A rotating series of (mostly) bad managers. My first manager was fired for sexual harassment. My second manager was great. My third manager should have been fired for sexual harassment. My fourth manager was reported multiple times to the Ethics department by my colleagues for doing very sketchy things. My fifth manager was absolutely amazing.
    -Corporate had a well-known policy of shaking up and rotating around managers every 6-12 months, leading to a lot of instability in any given location.
    -Sales goals were set by out-of-touch people maybe a dozen levels above the frontline reps in the stores, meaning that sales reps were constantly required to sell services and products no one wanted and aggressively reprimanded when they inevitably fell short (e.g. Try selling Digital Life in DC, where most of your customers lived in multi-family or townhouse-style homes that for a long time didn't even qualify for the service).
    -Pay and benefits were cut constantly - you had to work harder for less and less as the years went on. This was especially true for Sales Reps on commission (as an SSR I did not make commission).
    -There was constant pressure to cut corners, misrepresent services, and in some cases straight up lie to customers in order to hit metrics. I refused to participate in these schemes, and when I was told I had no choice, I decided to find a new job and had one within a month.
    -The company culture, at least in my experience, felt very much like an old boys' network. If you weren't "in," you weren't going anywhere. If you were, you could literally steal from the company and they'd protect you. At my store, I watched the managers hire hire about 15 men and 0 women while telling me that sexism had nothing to do with it. Right.
    -CWA is the most useless labor union ever. What union in its right mind doesn't negotiate for ANY sick leave for its employees? AT&T gives a decent amount of PTO, but you have to request it 2 months in advance, which means you have to take sick time unpaid and accrue attendance penalties every single day, which can lead to your firing. I saw good coworkers be put on final warning and fired because they or their family members had the audacity to have a bad illness or injury.

Advice to Management

Take care of your frontline employees. The pressure they're under gives them a strong incentive to misrepresent products to customers to make sales, and in turn that contributes to customers' dissatisfaction with the company.

6. "stabbed in the back"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

worked for att over 20 years

Cons

I was a store employee, excellent record, never on warning, always on time. I was offered a position working from home, by more than a few managers. I took the job. After a month I was told I had to report to an office daily, 100 miles from my home. a few weeks later my home office changed, 150 miles from my home. My old position has been filled and I cannot get it back. They don't care.

Advice to Management

stand by what you promise your employees.

7. "Pay is decent for what we have to do."

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts of services, Sunday and some Saturday's off (depending on location), and 3 raises a year. Insurance is decent but not the best I've had.

Cons

Management, unrealistic quotas, management, most of the customers things you owe them something, and MANAGEMENT. The individual store managers aren't too bad, but the higher ups making the big bucks are horrible! The gulf states region is going down and FAST.

Advice to Management

Try helping your employees succeed instead of looking for ways to fire them. We all have families and a life just like you do. We're all human and here for a paycheck!

8. "It's a good temp job"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid a good hourly, and normally you can get better hours than the sales reps.
    Benefits are great, as well as monthly discounts. It's tough at first because no one really knows how to do the job, but once you learn you stick to yourself and don't have people hounding you.

Cons

Under appreciated by sales reps.
    Store babysitter
     They take the " chief of staff" title way too far.
    No room to grow if you want to excel operationally.
    It's so hard to make it to corporate. They make you climb this retail ladder just for you to be stuck in a store for years and never making it.
    There is no way to make it to corp if you aren't a store manager. It doesn't matter if you have a masters degree.

Advice to Management

You need to open positions for people to excel in positions other than sales.
    Make it more available for retail employees that have the qualifications to move to entry level corp positions

9. "Do not work here"

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay. That is the only positive. The pay. The pay. The pay. The pay. This is the only positive ATT has to offer.

Cons

There is 0 work life balance. The management team gets a kick out of making everyone work EVERY weekend while they rarely work weekends. Seniority based scheduling allows senior reps/ssrs to be lazy with much better schedules than everyone else. You get one short 7 hour shift and then the other four shifts for the week are 9.5 hours before lunch is taken. The wrong people are getting promoted to management it's worse than a high school. They do not care about you at all, you are simply a number. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting people based solely on sales numbers a lot of them are doing shady unethical things to sell. Change the scheduling to performance based or allow everyone one weekend a month off... if we had a better work life balance you'd probably see better results!

10. "Job review"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

Benefits, pay, culture, people, raises

Cons

Hours, work life balance, seniority, sick time policy