AT&T Sales Support Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours (in 1033 reviews)

• Life consuming, no work life balance (in 297 reviews)

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Good work atmosphere (if you get along with your co-workers)

Cons

Attendance system could use some work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

AT&T Response

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We’re always working to improve life at AT&T and your feedback is important to us. We appreciate you!

2. "All employees are expendable."

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Rolla, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Rolla, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money is ok. You get PTO that guarantees you to have off certain times. It’s a union position so raises are guaranteed.

Cons

No job security and no work life balance at all. Managers seem to have no idea of what they are doing and don’t care about the people at all.

Advice to Management

Care about your people.

"AT&T has lost its identity...from blue collar to young millenials chasing the $$$"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a chair to sit in for 30% of your time at work. Are allowed to use the bathroom at least 3x a day and use the drinking fountain if you get thirsty.

Cons

Very difficult to move up since 80% of managers grew through the sales ranks and unless you were friends with them it's almost impossible to move up. So many of my co-workers have quit over the past 5 years due to the complete disrespect for our position. We are basically the lowest paid workers within AT&Ts corporate structure and instead of helping us to grow they have fired and taken away our workloads to the point were many of us feel unwanted and need to quit so we can have some respect for ourselves again.

Advice to Management

Realize that you make 80% more than we do and most of us are treated like garbage no matter how much we try to protect your backs from CPNI errors and mismanagement of company funds.

4. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a retail worker, I have very good benefits and solid pay with opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Typical retail hours and working weekends.

5. "Terrible to employees"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employee discounts are nice.

Cons

Poor employee treatment. Constant highering freezes. Large shift towards part time employees. Mobility service is degrading. Unreasonable scheduling practices. Being left as a manager on duty without compensation. Constant threats of termination. Unrealistic expectations of numerous sales pitches forced upon customers. Inflexibility in scheduling employees trying to attend classes to further their education.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your frontline employees and customers, they’re EAGER to tell you what you’re doing wrong!

6. "Sales Support Representative AT&T"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, medical, 401K
    Union protections
    Good pay.
    Plentiful advancement opportunities

Cons

Very strict attendance policy.
    Scheduling and approval of Vacation time are based on seniority and "needs of the company,' you will often find saving up vacation for a particular date pointless.
    Work environment is heavily influenced by management (this could be good or bad)
    Training is very vague and teaches you very little about your duties.
    Your workload is directly related to how much the sales representatives incorrectly perform operational tasks.
    Management and Sales reps frequently misunderstand your duties, this is a very thankless position.

Advice to Management

Clearly understand the goals and needs of your SSRs. if you want them managing the customer experience, then make sure that the Sales reps aren't getting away with tons of operational errors that bog down the back office workload.

7. "Simple and Sweet"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at AT&T part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, On The Job Training, & Great Benefits.

Cons

Individual store culture not always aligned with company goals

8. "Good experience, ruined by bad management"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-It offers good pay for retail
    -If you're good at selling (or a favorite of the good old boys club that ran the DC stores), lots of opportunity to move up in the company
    -I learned a lot about operations and audits, which I was able to leverage into a new job at a different company whose values much more closely matched my own
    -At least when I was there, I got a full 50% discount on my AT&T bill. Who knows if they still offer this though.

Cons

Where to begin....
    -A rotating series of (mostly) bad managers. My first manager was fired for sexual harassment. My second manager was great. My third manager should have been fired for sexual harassment. My fourth manager was reported multiple times to the Ethics department by my colleagues for doing very sketchy things. My fifth manager was absolutely amazing.
    -Corporate had a well-known policy of shaking up and rotating around managers every 6-12 months, leading to a lot of instability in any given location.
    -Sales goals were set by out-of-touch people maybe a dozen levels above the frontline reps in the stores, meaning that sales reps were constantly required to sell services and products no one wanted and aggressively reprimanded when they inevitably fell short (e.g. Try selling Digital Life in DC, where most of your customers lived in multi-family or townhouse-style homes that for a long time didn't even qualify for the service).
    -Pay and benefits were cut constantly - you had to work harder for less and less as the years went on. This was especially true for Sales Reps on commission (as an SSR I did not make commission).
    -There was constant pressure to cut corners, misrepresent services, and in some cases straight up lie to customers in order to hit metrics. I refused to participate in these schemes, and when I was told I had no choice, I decided to find a new job and had one within a month.
    -The company culture, at least in my experience, felt very much like an old boys' network. If you weren't "in," you weren't going anywhere. If you were, you could literally steal from the company and they'd protect you. At my store, I watched the managers hire hire about 15 men and 0 women while telling me that sexism had nothing to do with it. Right.
    -CWA is the most useless labor union ever. What union in its right mind doesn't negotiate for ANY sick leave for its employees? AT&T gives a decent amount of PTO, but you have to request it 2 months in advance, which means you have to take sick time unpaid and accrue attendance penalties every single day, which can lead to your firing. I saw good coworkers be put on final warning and fired because they or their family members had the audacity to have a bad illness or injury.

Advice to Management

Take care of your frontline employees. The pressure they're under gives them a strong incentive to misrepresent products to customers to make sales, and in turn that contributes to customers' dissatisfaction with the company.

9. "stabbed in the back"

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

worked for att over 20 years

Cons

I was a store employee, excellent record, never on warning, always on time. I was offered a position working from home, by more than a few managers. I took the job. After a month I was told I had to report to an office daily, 100 miles from my home. a few weeks later my home office changed, 150 miles from my home. My old position has been filled and I cannot get it back. They don't care.

Advice to Management

stand by what you promise your employees.

10. "Pay is decent for what we have to do."

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts of services, Sunday and some Saturday's off (depending on location), and 3 raises a year. Insurance is decent but not the best I've had.

Cons

Management, unrealistic quotas, management, most of the customers things you owe them something, and MANAGEMENT. The individual store managers aren't too bad, but the higher ups making the big bucks are horrible! The gulf states region is going down and FAST.

Advice to Management

Try helping your employees succeed instead of looking for ways to fire them. We all have families and a life just like you do. We're all human and here for a paycheck!