AT&T Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits/vacation time (in 745 reviews)

• Great benefits along with a flexible work life balance makes this a great job for someone who is both a student and employee (in 417 reviews)

Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 897 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 256 reviews)

1. "Old Timey Company with Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you're in, you're set up be a lifer. There is a lot of job stability with a company this size. As a young person, you're valued highly because they're aren't many of us. With this, you're guaranteed to rise the ranks quickly if you work hard.

Cons

AT&T is still stuck in the past a bit. The corporate offices need some work and you're to be grateful there's even coffee available in the break room. In addition, our systems and processes are quite outdated and make closing sales difficult. They've been slow to automation and (ironically that they are a technology company) slow to adopt some of the tech they sell. Many people seem to get complacent and don't want to take responsibilities for errors because of how difficult the corporate post sales cycle is. Lastly, because of the size of the company, it's difficult to feel like you're making an impact when you make suggestions regarding fixing my above listed "cons." You're allowed to suggest different ways of doing things, but the changes of your suggestions being heard are low--it's a long road from a senior sales executive (me) to higher leadership (our VP-CEO).

Advice to Management

Create a more streamlined post sales cycle; update technology internally; add more to budget for team building and ways to keep employees happy.

2. "Decent job"

Current Employee - AT&T Premesis Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - AT&T Premesis Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid training
    Paid time off
    Different work environment everyday
    Work independently
    Pretty good pay
    Discounts on services

Cons

•Long hours
    •Some managers micro manage and make work environment stressful
    •Can be physically demanding
    •Hard to transfer to other yards unless a position opens up
    •Company doesn't want to increase pay rate even after adding DTV in San Francisco yards. Even if cost of living is super expensive compared to other cities and states
    •No pension

Advice to Management

My current managers are pretty cool guys. However, my first two managers only cared about making their numbers and really made it stressful and uncomfortable to come to work everyday. Not saying my current managers don't care about their numbers, but they are way more personable and care more about safety and look out for our best interest. My advice to management would be to not micro manage your techs. Don't be constantly tracking their every move and make the biggest deal out of the smallest thing just cause you're scared your numbers will fall short. Techs are more willing to do their work and are more likely to be stress free if you show altruist in their abilities and judgment.

3. "Surplus"

Current Employee - Cable Splicing Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cable Splicing Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wages, nothing else good here

Cons

Surplus. Never feel secure. Just a number here.

5. "Meh, Micro Managed Retail Life"

Current Employee - Flagship Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flagship Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for AT&T means half off of your cellular, home internet and digital life bills. Employees also can get directv for $10/month. So that helps a tons. It is a decent enough atmosphere, and everyone seems to get along well.

Cons

Managers micro-manage to intense degrees. I'm surprised there aren't any dots on the floor of where to stand, or harnesses to make us stand a certain way. Like what TMobile is being investigated for, managers are trying to force employees to up numbers "by any means possible." People are being hammered by tablets and insurance plans they don't need or want.

Advice to Management

Ease up, create a better working environment. When you micro-manage people, that is what causes churn (a lot of it lately); thus costing AT&T more money in hiring/training employees.

6. "Assistant Store Manager - Team Lead"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Fast pace. Lots of opportunities.

Cons

lack of work life balance.

7. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Universal Service Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Universal Service Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice pay, easy to work for, great bonuses

Cons

Currently Downsizing domestically, depending on the position, jobs could be in jeopardy

8. "Corporate bureaucracy nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and ok benefits

Cons

Constant, redundant meetings and conference calls that were totally unnecessary. My boss was an absolute nightmare (no leadership skills, control freak, paranoid and had a drinking problem).

Advice to Management

Be more careful about the people you hire - especially in supervisory positions. Cut down on the redundant and irrelevant meetings and conference calls.

9. "Great company and benefits"

Current Employee - Retail Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Management in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great coworkers, great management, great networking, great benefits

Cons

Lower work life balance but it's retail

Advice to Management

Treat and coach managers the new way you teach them how to coach their sales reps

"Great Opportunities, lots of bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for nearly a decade at AT&T. I was able to have great work-life balance, had incredible exposure to a fast moving company, and worked with many amazing people.

I liked how you could work in many different areas of the business and there was a culture of moving between business units and across functions. I worked in marketing, sales, business development, strategy, operations and customer service in my 9 years at the company. Even at the top the current CEO came up through the finance department but was Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Operating Officer before becoming CEO.

I was able to take part in great leadership programs as well.

In spite of it's negatives, AT&T was really working hard to change, innovate and bring a company of over 200,000 people into the future (it's important to remember that change like that doesn't happen overnight).

I appreciated how welcoming the company is of diversity, and how with a company so big, working on any initiative can have impact on thousands of employees, millions of customers and hundreds of millions in revenue. The scale is huge.

I would recommend a career at AT&T. Just keep in mind that you will likely have to live in Dallas for a long period of time to move up in the company. And it will take time. AT&T likes to promote people from within and earning your dues to get to the highest level will take a couple decades

Cons

Large bureaucracy. Decision making is centralized, so you don't get much P&L experience or decision-making authority or budget below the General Manager (and often VP) level.

The red tape makes A players realize after a while that they can coast and put in B work with little effort and see similar results to working hard and putting in A work.

It seems crazy to me that a company who sells technology and communications services that allow you to connect from anywhere have a prevalent policy requiring people who want to move up in the company to live during a significant amount of their careers in Dallas, TX. I saw great people leave because they didn't want to live in Dallas. It would serve the company to be more flexible on this if they want to get the A-players from the Millennial generation.

Their pay scales were a bit archaic. They didn't account for the huge cost of living increase in places like San Francisco, so employees in key areas were underpaid.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to make decisions and take action instead of keeping authority so concentrated at the VP level and above.

11. "Premises Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

customer service, not stuck at a desk, boots, tools given to you, union

Cons

long working hours, upper management

Advice to Management

give the technicians what they are worth. stop adding more work but cutting benefits, etc

Showing 134 of 14,963 reviews