AT&T Reviews in San Rafael, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 890 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 503 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1082 reviews)

• "very long hours; no work-life balance" (in 312 reviews)

1. "Retail Sales Consultantant"

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive hourly wage for retail, potential of making good commission if you meet all quotas

Cons

Having to console people on a daily basis who are upset about their rate plan, bill, service.

Advice to Management

More on floor support in dealing with escalations that are out of Reps hands

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in San Rafael, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training great experience bonding with other newhires trainer's are best at what they. Do salaries are based on you skill level and experience

Cons

Managing you time at work depending on location n staff could be a real challenge

Advice to Management

Adhire to mantra of being apart of the at&t family that if you try meet your responsibilities we'll help you succeed

3. "Not good"

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers always willing to help a fellow worker. Knew everything was not set in black and white. Some jobs needed special attention.

Cons

Was not able to learn my job properly training was not always adequate. Felt the preliminary work was not always done.

Advice to Management

Would not want to work for those cut throat managers ever again in any situation or any company. Felt they just worked against me for their own benefit.

"You're just a number, not an employee.Be prepared to be abused."

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, lots of overtime, even if you dont want it,

Cons

My Life as a AT&T Premises Technician:

Working for AT&T is great, unless you are a Premises Technician, in which you are held to an almost unbearable work load. I can honestly say that I probably only learned about 10% of what is needed to know to do the job properly in the training period that they provided. Yet, they expected me to be an expert with minimal training. Then on top of that, they put pressure on me to get the job done in a certain amount of time, that did not allow for extenuating circumstances, almost impossible to accomplish, and then they wonder why it took me so long to do the job.

Many times on installs or repairs I was forced to use refurbished CPE, with no guarantee that it would work, and then having to get repeated, and it was held against me. Pay is seriously deficient for type and amount of work performed. In addition to installing the physical aspect of the product, I was expected to also set up the home network - enabling computers for file sharing, printers, wired and wireless, peripherals, gaming equipment. And troubleshooting/correcting the Inside wiring for telephone service. Mandatory incidental overtime- you will work hard and be asked to do more. You have no control over what days you work or have off.

Unattainable standards for the honest worker. Held accountable for other peoples mistakes and poor performance. Management does not backup their employees. Forced to cut corners because of time constraints, yet reprimanded when an issue comes up. Says it is all about customer satisfaction yet fires people for providing customer service over a quantity quota. They talk a lot about safety and quality, but at the end of the day, numbers is all that really matters to them. Provides a two month training regiment on how to do the job, but none of the knowledge can be used in the real world and keep the job. As an employee you are graded on many factors that you have ZERO control over. You can also be punished for these factors as well. "

Last but not least, even though you are given sick time, the company makes it almost impossible to use it. Example, you might wake up one morning with a bad cold, flu, or whatever. If you call in sick, it will be counted against you as a unexcused absence. Then you have to prove that you really were sick, by bringing in a doctors note, and then the doctor is required to fill out paperwork, and he must have it in by a certain date, if he misses the deadline, the day or days you called in sick are counted as an unexcused absence. Then the company can fire you.

Advice to Management

Wake to to reality, a number system that does not allow for extenuating circumstances, which is a automatic given, is a stupid system. Stop treating your techs like they don't matter. A well-treated and appreciated employee is a happy and productive employee. Common sense.

"It's all good, unless you're a Premises Technician"

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you have prior work experience that relates to the position, benefits. lots of overtime, working with directly with customers, working independently, Working with technology.

Cons

I've heard from other people in other positions that working for AT&T is great, unless you are a Premises Technician, in which you are held to an almost unbearable work load. I can honestly say that I probably only learned about 10% of what is needed to know to do the job properly in the training period that they provided. Yet, they expected me to be an expert with minimal training. Then on top of that, they put pressure on me to get the job done in a certain amount of time, that did not allow for extenuating circumstances, almost impossible to accomplish, and then they wonder why it took me so long to do the job.

Many times on installs or repairs I was forced to use refurbished CPE, with no guarantee that it would work, and then having to get repeated, and it was held against me. Pay is seriously deficient for type of work performed. In addition to installing the physical aspect of the product, I was expected to also set up the home network - enabling computers for file sharing, printers, wired and wireless, peripherals, gaming equipment. And troubleshooting/correcting the Inside wiring for telephone service. Mandatory incidental overtime- you will work hard and be asked to do more. You have no control over what days you work or have off." Forget about planning for a vacation, AT&T can and will at the last minute make you work on days you requested off, and they approved...

Unattainable standards for the honest worker. Held accountable for other peoples mistakes and poor performance. Management does not backup their employees. Forced to cut corners because of time constraints, yet reprimanded when an issue comes up. Says it is all about customer satisfaction yet fires people for providing customer service over a quantity quota. Provides a two month training regiment on how to do the job, but none of the knowledge can be used in the real world and keep the job. As an employee you are graded on many factors that you have zero control over. You can also be punished for these factors as well. "

Advice to Management

Wake up to reality and stop expecting your techs "make up" their numbers because circumstances beyond their control. The numbers system is really stupid because it does not allow for extenuating circumstances, which are a regular daily part of the job. The company cares more about numbers and tickets completed then they care about you, the employee.

6. "Neutral Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Pros

You get to gain knowledge and usable information on all the latest cell phones, as well as test all of them out for the most part. Also interactions with a variety of customers on a day to day make it an interesting job as well.

Cons

Company policies are not clear to the customer base much of the time. Customers can get very hostile about certain policies which they do not understand, and being on the front line of the company, you deal with a variety of customer issues everyday, good and bad. Also the commission structure continually changes, which rarely benefits reps.

Advice to Management

Create a clear communication channel through all the departments, so that information is clearly and correctly distributed through all channels so that less issues can be taken care quickly.

Showing 6 of 18,294 reviews